Spanish Olympic Committee to end 2030 Winter Olympic bid

GBModerator

7 hours ago, FYI said:

From my experience, anyone in the North who I've found that uses that word, is not originally from the North anyway. I just find the word so "Valley-girl/beach-bum"-ish (I know, I'm being so Bennett again here). And your meme hits that perfectly here. But I digress.

Trey Parker and Matt Stone are from Colorado, so they're hardly the Southern California types you're thinking of.  I get where you're associating that word with that culture, but they're far from the only people who might use it.  That said.. "whatever"

7 hours ago, FYI said:

I've been on SSC many, many years ago (I can't even remember my handle from over there, since it was different). And the problem I found with it when I was there, is that it's TOO moderated. Maybe because the community is so large over there, but it seems that every room has a moderator. And thus, everything seems more controlled/constricted, especially when there are disagreements. Maybe things are different over there now with more infighting, but the main problem here is when people have *strong differences of opinions*. Especially when they involved certain members like our L.A. friend from the past, or our current new-norm 'buddy', etc. etc. etc. 

I think that's a part of the problem here now.. less content to cover, so there's more time and space to fill that we don't have more cities and bid races to discuss, let alone the more random aspects of how future bids may come together.  And this is obviously a much smaller community than SSC, so when posters come in and try to "control the conversation" (plus you can't spell control without "trol" :lol:), it stands out a lot more.

7 hours ago, FYI said:

And you've said it yourself many times before, & particularly when it comes to this website considering what's it all about, but some come on here & think that any critique given to them is a personal attack against them &/or their city. When all we're trying to do here, is gauge the winds of any Olympic hopefuls with what information we do have to try & gauge that with. But still, even with all the mud-wrestling that goes on here, surely places like Facebook, Twitter & other like avenues are much worse.

Nothing is worse than Twitter, IMO.  Which is a very open forum for everyone there to be horrible people and to share any inane thought with a really large audience.  A board like this is a very insular community.  There used to be friendly avenues like logo competitions and the like, but you're right that some don't take to criticism of a city very well.  Which is why I'm glad I wasn't around here when NYC was bidding for 2012.  I don't think less of this city because we didn't win that Olympic bid (and I've made the case before that in an alternate Olympic timeline where Athens gets 1996 instead of Atlanta, maybe it would have happened for us.. 2012 wasn't destined to be), but that tends to be a narrative sometimes around discussions here and yes, some take it far too personally.

8 hours ago, FYI said:

The irony here is, that you & I got mostly along on these boards before (& actually, we still concur on many other points now). But it wasn't 'til the post-Paris/L.A. double happened that the "pissing contests" ensued. We just don't see eye-to-eye on that one (well, apparently we do, but we're just "viewing it differently"), & that's where all of this has stemmed from ever since.

Well, a lot of that was essentially having a common enemy, so that largely kept us on the same side of things.  Now, not so much.  But to bring this up again.. many of my "double fetish" posts aren't directed at you.  They were at others here plucking 2 random cities out of thin air.  That kind of stuff has long been my issue with this board, people who can't separate fantasy and reality.  I've never taken issue with someone imagining a hyptoethical bid for a city, which used to happen a lot more often around here, but too often that would get mixed in with actual news.  So that made it hard to discern between the 2.  And I would like to think a forum dedicated to the subject of Olympic bidding would have a better grasp on things than that.

I don't know what to make of this place in the new norm era.  At least we have a somewhat focused and defined path for the next year.  After that, who knows and it could potentially get pretty boring around here if every Olympics for more than a decade out has already been awarded.

4 hours ago, Quaker2001 said:

so when posters come in and try to "control the conversation" (plus you can't spell control without "trol" :lol:), it stands out a lot more.

:lol: I'll have to remember that one, Q!

A board like this is a very insular community.  There used to be friendly avenues like logo competitions and the like, but you're right that some don't take to criticism of a city very well.  Which is why I'm glad I wasn't around here when NYC was bidding for 2012.  I don't think less of this city because we didn't win that Olympic bid (and I've made the case before that in an alternate Olympic timeline where Athens gets 1996 instead of Atlanta, maybe it would have happened for us.. 2012 wasn't destined to be), but that tends to be a narrative sometimes around discussions here and yes, some take it far too personally.

I've mentioned in the past, how classic it would've been to have had an L.A. vs Toronto showdown around here. But now that you mention it, maybe a NYC vs Toronto match up would've been much better!! :lol: I can just envision it now, you comin' in here like a bull in a china shop, cause you know those Canadians would've been knockin' down your city left, right & center! 

Well, a lot of that was essentially having a common enemy, so that largely kept us on the same side of things.  Now, not so much. 

Ahh, the good ole' days. That reminds me of our *other AFan* 'buddy' from the past. And that Phlegm 'dude' (that Baron nicknamed lmao). Those were a couple of characters, to say the least. But even now, I still think we have a couple of 'common enemies' around here. Ohh, that Imagine Dragons song is coming to my head now lol.

But to bring this up again.. many of my "double fetish" posts aren't directed at you.  They were at others here plucking 2 random cities out of thin air.  That kind of stuff has long been my issue with this board, people who can't separate fantasy and reality.  I've never taken issue with someone imagining a hyptoethical bid for a city, which used to happen a lot more often around here, but too often that would get mixed in with actual news.  So that made it hard to discern between the 2.  And I would like to think a forum dedicated to the subject of Olympic bidding would have a better grasp on things than that.

Sure, & you've said that before. And yeah, there were some that were randomly just picking two cities, which I agree with you on that. But even in plausible cases, it seems that you just totally wanted to dismiss it. Even now, when it's starting to look even more plausible, you still want to keep it at bay, for the most part. But 'whatever', I digress. Cause lets not get into another PM over it. 

I don't know what to make of this place in the new norm era.  At least we have a somewhat focused and defined path for the next year.  After that, who knows and it could potentially get pretty boring around here if every Olympics for more than a decade out has already been awarded.

Well, the boards seem to be pretty active still since Tokyo 2020ne & Beijing 2022 have passed. And by next year in 2023, we'll be getting ready for 2024. So maybe things will still be pretty active around here even then. For sure, that are NN "library" teacher will see to that! :lol:

Barcelona 2036 on the other hand... that would be close to a sure thing, now Tommy's favourite is out and Germany don't want it. Assuming they keep to Europe every 12 years anyway...if this isn't just about regional one-upmanship and the COE really do just want to bring the Olympics back to Spain, it's a no-brainer. 

That might seem like a no-brainer on the surface, but when tenacity & stubbornness also plays into the equation, as was evident with Madrid's three consecutive Summer Olympic bids (when it was really still too soon for a country like Spain after Barcelona 1992. Not to mention after London won 2012, Madrid should've at least skipped 2016), I still can't necessarily see sensibility being a core concern of theirs. Particularly when regional tug-of-wars between those two cities/provinces is so blatant. And that really can be said with any country that has such competitive/fierce rivalries within them.