Melbourne, Australia, to Host 2022 FINA World Swimming Championships (25m)

1 minute ago, AustralianFan said:

Just announced:  

Melbourne is the new Host of the 2022 FINA World Swimming Championships (25m) in 13-18 December.

Fantastic news!

“The 16th event edition will be the first time that Melbourne has hosted this prestigious 25-meter event, with the state-of-the-art Melbourne Sports and Aquatic Centre as the host site. Set on the shores of Albert Park Lake, the city will welcome more than 1,000 athletes from over 180 countries for six days of world-class swimming action.”

“FINA is delighted that the proud swimming nation of Australia will host the FINA World Swimming Championships (25m) for the first time,” said FINA President Husain Al-Musallam. “Australia has a great swimming tradition and we’re looking forward to coming back to Melbourne. I am sure this will be another highly successful FINA event that provides the world’s best short course swimmers with the environment to perform at their very best. We are incredibly grateful to our hosts for stepping forward to host this prestigious meet.

I was gonna call bullish!t and say Budapest already had this year’s FINA WC. Then I saw the parenthesised 25m modifier. Talk about B Finals. Do we even have 25m competition pools? Or do we have to go to ClarkRubber to get a blow up one?

2 hours ago, Sir Rols said:

I was gonna call bullish!t and say Budapest already had this year’s FINA WC. Then I saw the parenthesised 25m modifier. Talk about B Finals. Do we even have 25m competition pools? Or do we have to go to ClarkRubber to get a blow up one?

The official FINA title has the (25m) in the title in brackets:

16th FINA World Swimming Championships (25m) 2022

As the above posts say, these Worlds will be held at the existing MSAC - Melbourne Sports and Aquatic Centre inside Albert Park, and also the venue for the 2006 Melbourne Commonwealth Games swimming compeition in the 50m pool.

For these championships, it will simply be a matter of inserting a pool divider and temporary starting blocks/timing equipment at the 25m mark and temporary decking over the remaining 25metres.  Done.

52 minutes ago, ulu said:

The competition pools at MSAC have moveable bulkheads to adjust the length of the pool.

Excellent intel. There we go, done and dusted.

I’d love to go and see another world swimming champs in Melbourne this year after Perth 91 and 98

The 25m world championships are of much lesser importance than the 50m with Australia usually sending a pretty weak team that's not in peak form but being in Australia this year I'd imagine it'd be taken more seriously and some world records would surely fall if they're near full strength.

• Like 1

On 5/21/2022 at 8:14 AM, Sir Rols said:

On 5/21/2022 at 11:13 AM, AustralianFan said:

The official FINA title has the (25m) in brackets:

As the above posts say, these Worlds will be held at the existing MSAC - Melbourne Sports and Aquatic Centre inside Albert Park, and also the venue for the 2006 Melbourne Commonwealth Games swimming compeition in the 50m pool.

On 5/21/2022 at 2:25 PM, ulu said:

The competition pools at MSAC have moveable bulkheads to adjust the length of the pool.

ZBFIoSw.jpg

Sure love to see the Aussies in action at these World Championships (25m) this December in Melbourne.

Tonight Ariane Titmus just broke Kate Ledecky’s 400m Freestyle World Record - what a champion!

This followed Zac Stubblety-Cooke’s smashing the World Record in the 200m Breatstroke earlier in the week:

As mentioned, the venue for these World Championships (25m) this December is the Melbourne Sports and Aquatic Centre, near the Formula 1 racetrack at Albert Park.

Here’s what the venue looks like in 50m competition mode with this flashback of Leisal Jones’ Gold Medal Swim in the 200m breastroke at the 2006 Melbourne Commonwealth Games. 

MSAC Venue Location at Albert Park, Melbourne:

wzvqWaH.jpg

10 hours ago, AustralianFan said:

Sure love to see the Aussies in action at these World Championships (25m) this December in Melbourne.

Tonight Ariane Titmus just broke Kate Ledecky’s 400m Freestyle World Record - what a champion!

This followed Zac Stubblety-Cooke’s smashing the World Record in the 200m Breatstroke earlier in the week:

Stubblety-Cook is terrible in the 25m pool but Titmus already owns the 25m 400m world record and could challenge the 200 and 800 world records.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ulu said:

Stubblety-Cook is terrible in the 25m pool but Titmus already owns the 25m 400m world record and could challenge the 200 and 800 world records.

Hopefully, Stubblety-Cook is able to improve and get into the 25m World Champs Team whenever those trials are held later in the year and join Ariane Titmus, who I hope is also there.

A Home World Champs is something that does not come round very often and I’m sure the Aussie Team will jump at the chance to get everyone involved.

On 5/21/2022 at 8:14 AM, Sir Rols said:

On 5/21/2022 at 11:13 AM, AustralianFan said:

The official FINA title has the (25m) in the title in brackets:

For these championships, it will simply be a matter of inserting a pool divider and temporary starting blocks/timing equipment at the 25m mark and temporary decking over the remaining 25metres.  Done.

On 5/21/2022 at 2:25 PM, ulu said:

This image from the very first world short course championships in 1993 (as they were known as back then) in Palma De Mallorca, Spain, shows how they dropped in a pool divider.  The officials here seem to be hanging on for stability as they lean over to eye-ball the swimmers’ wall touches.

But since then, pool-length adjustment technology has obviously come a long way and, as Ulu said, MSAC has a moveable bulk-head.

OtOxbuB.jpg