2036 Olympics: Crowded Field of Interested Parties

24 minutes ago, AustralianFan said:

ICE4WE5.jpg

After what all the various IOC spokespersons have been saying about the resurgence in interest in hosting the 2036 Games, I might look into the trends and map how many and who interested parties and candidatures were/are before, during and after the commencement of the new host selection process.

2 hours ago, Olympics2028 said:

The Olympics are an athletic event, not a travel-tourist-airline-industry event.

They're both.  As much as the Olympics are a sporting event, it is and always has been an international spectacle.  Many cities absolutely do use it to try and drum up tourism.  Others, as we know, use it as a propaganda tool.  Either way though, given that every minute of every Olympic competition is beamed around the world in real time and social media makes it easy for everyone to interact with it, people are going to get a big taste of the host city over 2 1/2.  So they'll want to put their best foot forward in hopes that people won't soon forget about them

I have mixed emotions about the Olympics being such a great platform for promoting anything beyond the athletes and the sports they're involved in. A lot of that is because the 2012 and 2016 games, and the obviously pandemic-hit 2020 games, didn't necessarily give me one iota more positive impression of the host cities than I'd otherwise have. To be honest, they slightly lowered my impression of London, Rio, Tokyo.

35 minutes ago, Olympics2028 said:

I have mixed emotions about the Olympics being such a great platform for promoting anything beyond the athletes and the sports they're involved in. 

Considering that it's the host cities that basically flip the entire bill to host those athletes & the sports they're involved in, at the world's biggest sporting venue, then these cities getting some form of return/recognition for their hard, working Olympic efforts is at the very least reasonable to expect. 

39 minutes ago, Olympics2028 said:

A lot of that is because the 2012 and 2016 games, and the obviously pandemic-hit 2020 games, didn't necessarily give me one iota more positive impression of the host cities than I'd otherwise have. To be honest, they slightly lowered my impression of London, Rio, Tokyo.

,What attracted me to the Olympics to begin with, IS the "traveling circus" (as you call it) nature of the event. The globalism, the different cultures of each different host. I certainly felt excited about every different Summer Games from 2000-2020 (pre-pandemic of course). And it's that same appeal what has me excited about Paris 2024 & Milan 2026. I don't think that the Olympics would have the same impact if it were stationary in one locale or two (& that would bring it's own set of unique challenges as well if that were the case).  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Olympics2028 said:

I have mixed emotions about the Olympics being such a great platform for promoting anything beyond the athletes and the sports they're involved in. A lot of that is because the 2012 and 2016 games, and the obviously pandemic-hit 2020 games, didn't necessarily give me one iota more positive impression of the host cities than I'd otherwise have. To be honest, they slightly lowered my impression of London, Rio, Tokyo.

It sometimes works better in practice than in theory.  A lot of cities claim an influx of tourists, but under-sell how many of the locals are getting out of dodge come games time.  Some cities do it better than others though.

You really can't take much about what you saw with Tokyo during the Olympics to learn much about the city since, as you said, it was the middle of the pandemic.  No crowds, so the usual atmosphere was missing.

London is a well-known city, especially to Americans.  We speak the same language.  Share a lot of music.  And we're familiar with aspects of their culture (think the Royal Wedding x2).  Rio's big draw is the beaches.  We've seen it before, including 2 years earlier with the World Cup.

The real success stories are places like Sydney, where a lot of people aren't as familiar.  Barcelona was always a tourist destination, but hosting in `92 allowed them to show off the post-Franco era transformation of the city to the world.

Those examples are likely to be few and far between going forward though, for better or worse.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Quaker2001 said:

Those examples are likely to be few and far between going forward though, for better or worse.

Hmmm....not sure I agree with this

I agree with FYI and others that in a field like 2012's a city like Brisbane would stand no chance; even today with the altered processes. But I also see that cities like Brisbane, when they have less competition, at least have a chance now because of some of the new rules the IOC has instigated over things like minimum capacities, regional spread, existing venues etc etc.

Ironically, given that AustralianFan bangs these two drums almost simultaneously, the more (genuine) interest there is the less chance there is of more Brisbanes. But if tepid interest continues then I can see more, not fewer, less-well-known cities getting a month in the world's limelight.

• Like 1

But equally ironically, making the Olympics known as a unique chance for a second tier city (no offence) to get an instant promotion to the 'top flight' is probably the best chance there is of getting large numbers of bids. I don't share the total worship of the 'bid' process some have, but I do think Brisbane could be one of the most significant Games for many years because it's so different, and totally trust the country that gave us Sydney 2000 to make it the best advert for a different format that it can be. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Rob. said:

Unless you mean that cities aren't going to use the Olympics in the same way as before, with emphasis on existing venues mean cities aren't altering their whole face around a Games.

Yea, that's what I was referring to, more about the old line of thinking where cities used the Olympics as an urban renewal project, often with a mind toward boosting tourism.  Barcelona is obviously the ultimate example of that.  But I don't think we'll see it as much going forward.  Paris and LA certainly aren't in that mold.  They're not bidding for the Olympics looking for a tourism boost.  Neither is Milan-Cortina.  And certainly not Salt Lake.  Brisbane OTOH seems like they're a little more in that category.  They've been gradually building themselves up and now will show themselves off to the world because it's not exactly a world-renowned city.  So they're more of an old school bidder in that regard.. "we want to use this Olympics to let the world know who we are"

I don't know who on the 2036 list does or doesn't fall into that bucket.  Need to wait to see which of those "interested cities" are actually seriously interested before we can make that assessment

• Like 1

2 hours ago, yoshi said:

But equally ironically, making the Olympics known as a unique chance for a second tier city (no offence) to get an instant promotion to the 'top flight' is probably the best chance there is of getting large numbers of bids. I don't share the total worship of the 'bid' process some have, but I do think Brisbane could be one of the most significant Games for many years because it's so different, and totally trust the country that gave us Sydney 2000 to make it the best advert for a different format that it can be. 

2 points here..

We've said it here many times over that there's no formula to hosting an Olympics.  So we tend to overplay the idea of "city B is going to see what city A is doing" and think that's a thing.  Rarely does it work out that way, IMO.  There are bits and pieces of information and lessons to be learned, but especially as circumstances evolve (i.e. the selection process), that changes how the game is played.

To that end, I doubt Brisbane is going to lead to a spate of bids seeing smaller cities thinking they can do it.  Brisbane has some circumstances specific to them that still make it a tough proposition for anyone else to copy them.  And in any event, it's still a quality over quantity argument.  At the end of the day, the question isn't how many cities are bidding for the Olympics.  It's how many *good* cities are bidding.  Even then, it's still somewhat of a red herring because so long as the IOC has 1 worthy city, the rest don't exactly come away with anything

Does anyone know how to create simple online graphs?

Just been pulling together numbers of bids and interested parties since 2000 for Summer Olympic Games under the old bidding system and continuing into the new norm host selection period up to the present.

Would be great if someone knows to show these numbers on a graph as numbers in a table aren’t as clear when looking at trends.

So, might start posting the tables of one Summer Games at a time leading up to 2036.

As this is all googled, there most definitely will be inaccuracies, errors, etc so feel free  to correct / discuss / highlight.

7 minutes ago, AustralianFan said:

Just been pulling together numbers of bids and interested parties since 2000 for Summer Olympic Games under the old bidding system and continuing into the new norm host selection period up to the present.

Would be great if someone knows to show these numbers on a graph as numbers in a table aren’t as clear when looking at trends.

So, might start posting the tables of one Summer Games at a time leading up to 2036.

As this is all googled, there most definitely will be inaccuracies, errors, etc so feel free  to correct / discuss / highlight.

So here goes, starting with 2000:

mI5m6T2.jpg

15 minutes ago, AustralianFan said:

nyRTFYu.jpg

20 minutes ago, AustralianFan said:

czpCCjW.jpg

28 minutes ago, AustralianFan said:

0Y0Cep8.jpg

32 minutes ago, AustralianFan said:

eik47ww.jpg

36 minutes ago, AustralianFan said:

4ad25Gm.jpg

39 minutes ago, AustralianFan said:

anDon6X.jpg

1 hour ago, AustralianFan said:

FeqQAIb.jpg

1 hour ago, AustralianFan said:

F5lzf5v.jpg

There really is no need for posting all of this, & in particular from the older bidding races, since a lot of that information is already on the GB's home webpage anyway, under *historical bid results*. And many of us here also already know this info from following many of those Olympic races from before. This is just redundant.

On 5/26/2022 at 11:50 PM, Quaker2001 said:

2 points here..

We've said it here many times over that there's no formula to hosting an Olympics.  So we tend to overplay the idea of "city B is going to see what city A is doing" and think that's a thing.  Rarely does it work out that way, IMO.  There are bits and pieces of information and lessons to be learned, but especially as circumstances evolve (i.e. the selection process), that changes how the game is played.

To that end, I doubt Brisbane is going to lead to a spate of bids seeing smaller cities thinking they can do it.  Brisbane has some circumstances specific to them that still make it a tough proposition for anyone else to copy them.  And in any event, it's still a quality over quantity argument.  At the end of the day, the question isn't how many cities are bidding for the Olympics.  It's how many *good* cities are bidding.  Even then, it's still somewhat of a red herring because so long as the IOC has 1 worthy city, the rest don't exactly come away with anything

and finally 2036

ZqzvGsO.jpg

On 5/26/2022 at 9:50 AM, Quaker2001 said:

This just reminds of the 'ole "if Atlanta can do it, so can we" arguments from the past, whenever someone would come in here & try to make a case for the other Atlanta's & Brisbane's of the world.

How many times has it been said around here that every bid race is different, & therefore, the dynamics of every bid race will also be different. And with the IOC being able to just cherry-pick whoever they want now, that'll just make them that much more discriminate.

Atlanta getting 1996 & Brisbane getting 2032 doesn't really prove anything, other than them being at the right place, at the right time (& in the case of the latter, it also greatly helped having a VP in the EB). That doesn't automatically mean, though, that other cities like them will prevail in the future, simply because they are just like them. The IOC is so much more involved than that.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, FYI said:

There really is no need for posting all of this, & in particular from the older bidding races, since a lot of that information is already on the GB's home webpage anyway, under *historical bid results*. And many of us here also already know this info from following many of those Olympic races from before. This is just redundant.

It’s hardly redundant when you can have it all in one spot comparing the number of bids from past Games with the level of interest currently for the 2036 Games.

That’s the whole point of this thread.   Having it in one spot makes it a lot easier to compare and discuss.

30 minutes ago, FYI said:

Just now, AustralianFan said:

It’s hardly redundant when you can have it all in one spot comparing the number of bids from past Games with the level of interest currently for the 2036 Games.

That’s the whole point of this thread.   Having it in one spot makes it a lot easier to compare and discuss.

That’s why I asked if anyone was skilled in graphs (?) because they’re a lot easier visually to see trends than these tables I’ve just posted.