IOC Vice President urges Hungary to bid for Olympic Games

International Olympic Committee (IOC) Vice President Juan Antonio Samaranch this week urged Hungary to continue to pursue its goal to host the Olympic Games. Visiting Budapest to observe the Modern Pentathlon World Cup underway in the capital, Samaranch singled out the nation as one of the top European prospects for hosting a future Games. “When […]

The post IOC Vice President urges Hungary to bid for Olympic Games appeared first on GamesBids.com.

View the full article

6 minutes ago, iceman530 said:

seriously........  not a great look.

That and this is dead by referendum anyways, per previous attempts

Wouldn’t an Orban referendum achieve whatever Orban wants?

Sounds like the IOC have realised even they couldn't be brazen enough to go for St Petersburg now, so they'll try for Putin's  Mini-Me instead. I'd have thought Samaranch would be better off convincing his own country to bid now the Winter plan's basically dead and they've finally got a genuine chance for Summer victory. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Sir Rols said:

Wouldn’t an Orban referendum achieve whatever Orban wants?

was the most recent defeat an Orban referendum?  Not being snide, legitimately curious.  

I agree that Orban could become a new appealing partner as stated above, a Putin Mini-Me.  He has all the authoritarian tendencies that the IOC loves without going completely off the deep end apparently.  Could Budapest pull it off?  

10 minutes ago, iceman530 said:

was the most recent defeat an Orban referendum?  Not being snide, legitimately curious.  

I agree that Orban could become a new appealing partner as stated above, a Putin Mini-Me.  He has all the authoritarian tendencies that the IOC loves without going completely off the deep end apparently.  Could Budapest pull it off?  

Orban did not get defeated in the bid referendum. They pulled it before the vote because it was clear he’d lose it. Budapest is still more liberal than the rural parts where he mostly recruits his corrupt following and the opponents of the bid were loud enough to make him get cold feet. Since then, he won two landslide national elections (heavily skewed in his favour of course), so I suspect he feels untouchable now for real and could happily take up the ball from JAS jr.

Interesting.......so basically the Michelob Ultra version of a Russia bid.  Which.......the IOC will find appealing.  And frankly with the rest of the pack (the basket of deplorables:  India, Indonesia, Qatar, Russia, Egypt) ..........I'd say its between Budapest and Istanbul right now