Jump to content

Vancouver bid to host 2026 World Cup matches accepted by FIFA


GBModerator
 Share

Recommended Posts

Vancouver is now in the running to join 15 other cities when Canada, Mexico and the United States host the 2026 FIFA World Cup. World Football governing body FIFA announced Thursday that the Canadian city’s candidacy will now be accepted following the complete submission of necessary documentation and a successful inspection site visit by FIFA […]

The post Vancouver bid to host 2026 World Cup matches accepted by FIFA appeared first on GamesBids.com.

View the full article

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So this pretty much kills Seattle's chances then?  

So, I'm guessing for the final US cities, they would be:
1.  NY/NJ
2.  Philadelphia/DC,
3.  Atlanta
4.  Miami 
5.  Cincinnati 
6.  Denver
7.  Kansas City
8.  Dallas or Houston
9.  SF/Santa Clara
10. LA 
11.  San Diego? 

Edited by baron-pierreIV
Link to comment
Share on other sites

M final US cities:
1.  NY/NJ
2.  Philadelphia/DC,
3.  Atlanta
4.  Miami 
5.  Cincinnati 
6.  Denver
7.  Kansas City
8.  Dallas
9.  SF/Santa Clara
10. LA 
11.  Nashville

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

So this pretty much kills Seattle's chances then?  

That's what I was thinking when I read that. But then again, maybe there could also be a close cluster on the west coast, like there's bound to be on the east coast.

21 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

8.  Dallas or Houston

I actually think both can be on the final list. Texas has grown leaps & bounds (surpassing even California's growth) since the last time the U.S. hosted the WC in 1994. And Houston is also a big soccer city. Heck, by the time of the next census in 2030, Texas will be catching up fast to California's population.

21 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

 11.  San Diego? 

They're not in the running. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/15/2022 at 12:18 PM, baron-pierreIV said:

So this pretty much kills Seattle's chances then?  

It should be the opposite. In a sane world they would choose group stage cities that are easy to transit between. Without Vancouver, there's no other host city within 500 miles of Seattle. So they would be better off with another city in Texas, California or New York.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Nacre said:

It should be the opposite. In a sane world they would choose group stage cities that are easy to transit between. Without Vancouver, there's no other host city within 500 miles of Seattle. So they would be better off with another city in Texas, California or New York.

I understand the "cluster" concept.  But there is also the greater better geographic distribution concept so it reaches a greater part of the local population.  And with 48 teams, is the "cluster concept" still more advantageous than the more evenly spread out plan?  For example, if the Canadian team gets past the prelim stage -- it doesn't mean that it will stay in the NE geographic region in the 48-team schematic?  It all depends on how FIFA and United '26 will program their bracketing.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, baron-pierreIV said:

I understand the "cluster" concept.  But there is also the greater better geographic distribution concept so it reaches a greater part of the local population.  And with 48 teams, is the "cluster concept" still more advantageous than the more evenly spread out plan?  For example, if the Canadian team gets past the prelim stage -- it doesn't mean that it will stay in the NE geographic region in the 48-team schematic?  It all depends on how FIFA and United '26 will program their bracketing.  

I agree with what you said on Vancouver 2030.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/20/2022 at 9:57 AM, baron-pierreIV said:

I understand the "cluster" concept.  But there is also the greater better geographic distribution concept so it reaches a greater part of the local population.  And with 48 teams, is the "cluster concept" still more advantageous than the more evenly spread out plan?  For example, if the Canadian team gets past the prelim stage -- it doesn't mean that it will stay in the NE geographic region in the 48-team schematic?  It all depends on how FIFA and United '26 will program their bracketing.  

Only about 50% of the tickets are supposed to be allocated to local fans (although for this world cup it will be more like 60%), with the other half going to international supporters. Visiting fans are supposed to be able to follow their team during the group stages. So "evenly spreading out" teams like Germany means visiting German fans would have to travel something insane like New York-Los Angeles-Philadelphia-Santa Clara/SF. I understand that many Americans don't care whether visiting fans are miserable, of course. But I think if we are trying to be good hosts then we ought to care about the visiting fans.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, Nacre said:

Only about 50% of the tickets are supposed to be allocated to local fans (although for this world cup it will be more like 60%), with the other half going to international supporters. Visiting fans are supposed to be able to follow their team during the group stages. So "evenly spreading out" teams like Germany means visiting German fans would have to travel something insane like New York-Los Angeles-Philadelphia-Santa Clara/SF. I understand that many Americans don't care whether visiting fans are miserable, of course. But I think if we are trying to be good hosts then we ought to care about the visiting fans.

I understand that and I am sure FIFA/Org Committee are frightfully cognizant of that.  But it's really how the cards fall where they may in this HUGE tournament.  Not even the Euros start out with 48 teams, do they?  So I think it will be with who has the best faciltiies; plentiful accommodations for both fans and players; and the host cities which have strong support for the local soccer teams. If they want a non-travelling tournament, well, they'll be getting it in November.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There's no reason why they can't make it as easy as possible, though. They can make groups out of nearby cities like Philadelphia, Baltimore and DC, or Dallas, Houston and Atlanta. Seattle is just too isolated from other American bid cities. Paris to Berlin is only half the distance of Denver to Seattle, for example.

It's a shame, though, because I think it's a pretty ideal host city for events like this. You can easily walk to the stadium from a hotel downtown, there's lots of public transit options to the stadium for an American city (tram lines, commuter rail and regional rail), and partying in Pioneer Square before or after a game is pretty great. Minneapolis would be another great host city and it's a pity it won't make the list.

Edited by Nacre
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...