Catalonians will head to the polls July 24 to decide future of Pyrenees-Barcelona 2030 Winter Olympics bid

GBModerator

Spain’s embattled 2030 Winter Olympics bid will face its first critical milestone July 24 when citizens across nine counties will head to the polls to weigh in on the proposed project.  Due to internal political conflicts and regional disparities, the decision signed by Catalan president Pere Aragonès Monday supports two individual votes to be held […]

The post Catalonians will head to the polls July 24 to decide future of Pyrenees-Barcelona 2030 Winter Olympics bid appeared first on GamesBids.com.

View the full article

fingers (not) crossed..

this concept is dead-born in my view though

barcelona doesnt need a double (summer/winter) etiquette

there is no need for a referendum

zaragoza 2030/2034 in the epicenter for an eventually wog

and use 2 and/or 3 venues in barcelona and its done.. this referendum-lancement jinxed/spoiled everything :wacko:

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

The thing about Sapporo is that can they get the government's backing again after the financial fiasco of Tokyo 2021?  That is the BIG DARK CLOUD hanging over the Sapporo bid.  

I guess so. It was pretty much the government that pushed this bid, no?

18 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

The thing about Sapporo is that can they get the government's backing again after the financial fiasco of Tokyo 2021?  That is the BIG DARK CLOUD hanging over the Sapporo bid.  

I don't know if that could be the case just yet.

Spain has bigger challenges to face right now than being worried about hosting a WOG. Specially when the catalonians are already politicizing it this hard. Sadly, this isn't the first time as they also attempted to do the same back in 1992. The difference is regionalism wasn't as rancid and radical as it is today. Both Aragon and Catalonia hate each other and accuse each other of historical revisionism regarding their past, symbols, etc. so these fights with them do not surprise me to the slightest.

Sapporo so far looks like its going to win this so easily it makes me wonder why I should even follow up this.