Choirs, Music and Other Performances at Olympic Ceremonies

This moment from 2022 is one reason why I prefer Beijing's recent winter games to their 2008 ceremonies or London 2012's ceremonies.

However, I don't care for when what are actually an event's stand-ins - moving or running around a stadium - pretend to sing instead of being real, full-time singers (young or old) in a full-fledged choir.

I'm fairly sure the kids' vocals is all pre-recorded. So it comes off like an aural version of artificial sweetener instead of real cane sugar.

It drives me crazy they didn't choose Isao Tomita's rendition of Bolero for the torch relay, to connect with Tomita's rendition of Claire de Lune for the extinguishing segment. Bolero was a strange choice to begin with, but at least using Tomita's rendition gives both a Japanese connection and a circular tie to the ceremonies. The idea is so close.. but not quite! Grr.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/3/2022 at 3:37 PM, SeriousPotato said:

It drives me crazy they didn't choose Isao Tomita's rendition of Bolero for the torch relay, to connect with Tomita's rendition of Claire de Lune for the extinguishing segment. Bolero was a strange choice to begin with, but at least using Tomita's rendition gives both a Japanese connection and a circular tie to the ceremonies. The idea is so close.. but not quite! Grr.

The flame was, indeed, ignited along Tomita's music:

Dr. Copelius, Movement 7.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

The music for the Beijing 2022 Olympic OC -

(there may be traces of audience in the background :()

https://soundcloud.com/s-imb-a/sets/one-world-one-family-oc

The music for the Tokyo 2020 Olympic OC (previously posted but just in case there's new interest) -

https://soundcloud.com/s-imb-a/sets/united-by-emotion

• 4 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Couldn’t resist posting this one. Seems choirs aren’t always crowd pleasers @Olympics2028 would believe

Rugby World Cup has no plans to change ‘awful’ national anthem arrangements

children’s choirs accompanied the singing of each country’s anthem, only to be met with an almost universally hostile response from TV viewers. Many of them posted on X (formerly known as Twitter) to express their disapproval, with various users calling the anthems “dreadful”, “a mess”, “shocking” and “awful”.

Edited by Sir Rols
  • Like 1