World Athletics Championships

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1120648/singapore-world-athletics-championships

So apparently, Singapore will go for the 2025 World Athletics Championships. They sure do have a nice stadium and after heading to the US in 20212 and Europe for 2023 an Asian championships would be due. Now, Coe has already expressed his interest in Tokyo, so 2025 might be off-limits. A later edition in 2029 or 2031 seems quite achievable, though. Or will their hot and humid climate prevent a Singapore championships?

By the way, that is my 1000th post, so I'll give myself a little pat on the back here.

• Like 2

Congrats on 1k! :)

Yeah, Singapore sue is hot and humid, and I don’t think there’s much seasonal relief. Then again, they have hosted major events and it’s not like other previous hosts or future candidates don’t also offer the same (see Tokyo last year for brutal heat and humidity).

Personally, I’d welcome Singapore to step up to some more major hostings.

• 9 months later...

In an article (below) from last year it was reported that Africa and Oceania would be prioritised as hosts for the World Athletics Champs in 2025 and 2027 but then the Tokyo mess happened and they felt the need to compensate Japan by awarding them the hosting rights for 2025. Hopefully Oceania and Africa can now be prioritised for 2027 and 2029.

The reason is because the sport’s international governing body has recently changed its rules on staging major events to ensure that all regions in the world get a turn at hosting the world championships. Under the new rotation system, Oceania and Africa will get 2025 and 2027.

International sources have said Australia is the unanimous choice for Oceania, regardless of whether it’s 2025 or 2027, setting the stage for a civil bidding war to land the big prize.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/more-sports/world-athletics-championships-cairns-set-to-get-nod-as-sydney-melbourne-slow-out-of-the-blocks/news-story/7db3d1140f76147ca2528354742cb6b2

So, a choice between the reliability and resources of Australia versus the indisputable athletics pedigree of Nairobi. Hmmm, the WACs would make a great test event for Brisbane, but the idea of taking them to the spiritual home of long distance running sounds enticing to me.

1 hour ago, Sir Rols said:

So, a choice between the reliability and resources of Australia versus the indisputable athletics pedigree of Nairobi. Hmmm, the WACs would make a great test event for Brisbane, but the idea of taking them to the spiritual home of long distance running sounds enticing to me.

They could both host but in order to use it as a test event Nairobi would have to take 2027. 

Regarding Kenya.
I don't know if Sebastian Coe/IAAF (well I'm more used to call them by their old name) did adopt the current Bach/IOC policy.
for many reasons Kenya is not part of the "safe" list where the IOC and other sports federations can hold their main/biggest championships peacefully with the focus is only on sports.
Kenya is still facing many developing world problems like poverty, inequality, corruption ..etc.
these wikipedia articles can give you some insight of the nation current situation:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_Kenya and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corruption_in_Kenya
in other words Kenya might be considered by some organizations "not ready yet" to host a first tier sports event.
also they lag behind regarding LGBT rights:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_rights_in_Kenya
being gay is still illegal, and there is very little acceptance for LGBT people by the Kenyan society.
Nairobi was bidding for the 2025 championships but the Stadium, Airport, Roads and Transportations are not up to par with previous hosts.
sports-wise they had a recent doping problem:
https://athleticsweekly.com/blog/searching-for-a-cure-for-the-kenyan-doping-epidemic-1039962029/
nevertheless despite not having top notch facilities and infrastructure, Kenyans can deliver a very good tournament organizational wise.
but World Athletics needs to make sure other governments and NGOs won't use their championships to drive the focus to the problems and challenges that are facing Kenya.
and that the international media in general and the sports media covering the event would focus only on athletes and sports achievements.
and use the event to introduce other people and nations form around the world to know the African and Kenyan cultures and achievements.
so if World Athletics are ready to face the challenges and the risks they can go ahead and award the 2027/29 championships to Nairobi.

Considering the 2019 world championships were in Qatar, and this year’s is in Budapest, it seems LGBTQ rights aren’t high on the IAAF’s checklist for suitable hosts.

I haven’t followed much of the doping saga out of Kenya, and, yes, it’s a concern, but it’s also unlikely a Russia-level state program: Kenya doping scandal is a red face, but incomparable to Russia

The country’s level of development is the big question. It’s obviously not up to the challenge of an Olympics, or likely even the CWGs. As a single-sport championship, though, the IAAF WC might well be something achievable. IMO, it would be fitting for the second most successful country in the history of the championships to get a chance to be the first African host.

Edited by Sir Rols

6 hours ago, world atlas said:

Regarding Kenya.
I don't know if Sebastian Coe/IAAF (well I'm more used to call them by their old name) did adopt the current Bach/IOC policy.
for many reasons Kenya is not part of the "safe" list where the IOC and other sports federations can hold their main/biggest championships peacefully with the focus is only on sports.
Kenya is still facing many developing world problems like poverty, inequality, corruption ..etc.
these wikipedia articles can give you some insight of the nation current situation:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_Kenya and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corruption_in_Kenya
in other words Kenya might be considered by some organizations "not ready yet" to host a first tier sports event.
also they lag behind regarding LGBT rights:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_rights_in_Kenya
being gay is still illegal, and there is very little acceptance for LGBT people by the Kenyan society.
Nairobi was bidding for the 2025 championships but the Stadium, Airport, Roads and Transportations are not up to par with previous hosts.
sports-wise they had a recent doping problem:
https://athleticsweekly.com/blog/searching-for-a-cure-for-the-kenyan-doping-epidemic-1039962029/
nevertheless despite not having top notch facilities and infrastructure, Kenyans can deliver a very good tournament organizational wise.
but World Athletics needs to make sure other governments and NGOs won't use their championships to drive the focus to the problems and challenges that are facing Kenya.
and that the international media in general and the sports media covering the event would focus only on athletes and sports achievements.
and use the event to introduce other people and nations form around the world to know the African and Kenyan cultures and achievements.
so if World Athletics are ready to face the challenges and the risks they can go ahead and award the 2027/29 championships to Nairobi.

So media should only report on things convenient to the organisers? Bizarre approach really.

If you can‘t stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen (unless you can buy a completely new one like Qatar).

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, StefanMUC said:

So media should only report on things convenient to the organisers? Bizarre approach really.

If you can‘t stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen (unless you can buy a completely new one like Qatar).

I skimmed that part. Yes, so true. If you’re going to host something, you’ve got to be prepared to have a spotlight put on all facets of your country.

i love the hypocrisy that hosts demand “focus on the sport, you’re not here to report on politics or social issues” then in the next breath say “but feel free to comment on the wonderful tourism, scenery and hospitality if you have a moment”.

While we’re at it - Kenya may not be up to the Olympic Games challenge, but we can help them dream of an Olympic Games logo! Feel free, indeed, PLEASE, take a moment to go HERE and tick a box to vote in our Nairobi 2036 Olympic Logo comp. All votes are welcome and appreciated!

• 1 year later...

Munich city council with the support of all three major parties (Green/Social democratic coalition and conservative opposition) decided to start a bid for the 2029 or 2031 World Champs.

The Olympic Stadium will undergo renovation 2025-2027, so this should be the marquee event once it‘s done.

Clearly also positioning Munich in the (doomed to fail at IOC level) German (sort of) nationwide 2036 etc bid to host athletics instead of Berlin.

Would be great to have the Worlds here, the atmosphere at both Euros (2002 and 2022) in the stadium was outstanding, still giving me goosebumps.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

As. much as i know London will put on a great championships I wish that the event would go to other places rather than back to the same, ie beijing again, london again.

would be nice to see the championships in South America or Australia. (Although i get the season timings etc of that is an issue)

• Like 2

They can just give it to Brisbane or GC then. And voila! You have a new place for this, without the season timing issue. Certainly QSAC or Carrera would suffice for this event. :ph34r:

39 minutes ago, FYI said:

They can just give it to Brisbane or GC then. And voila! You have a new place for this, without the season timing issue. Certainly QSAC or Carrera would suffice for this event. :ph34r:

There was talk at one time of Cairns bidding :blink:

4 hours ago, Scotguy II said:

As. much as i know London will put on a great championships I wish that the event would go to other places rather than back to the same, ie beijing again, london again.

would be nice to see the championships in South America or Australia. (Although i get the season timings etc of that is an issue)

Kenya was apparently also bidding for 2029. Don’t know if that’s still on the table or not.

17 hours ago, Scotguy II said:

With them being every other year there ought to be enough championships for new and established hosts, although we do look like we're going to have a run of fairly established nations coming up.

Watching the indoors (good job Glasgow), they were saying during the BBC coverage the WACs could become an annual end of season event. Obviously the increased frequency would open up even more opportunity.

https://www.trackalerts.com/2024/02/no-more-waiting-world-athletics-championships-in-athletics-to-be-annual-affair-from-2025/

But in terms of London (and I'm sure this applies to other potential hosts as well) it leads to a clash with the football season - so our seemingly surefire bid might have a spanner thrown into the works. So that's one thing to keep an eye on.

Edited by Rob2012
  • Like 1

Well tbf Munich wouldn't have that problem, nobody plays at the Olympiastadion anymore do they? If the championships are in August or September West Ham could be in for a road trip :lol:. Is it only London or Munich?

25 minutes ago, yoshi said:

Well tbf Munich wouldn't have that problem, nobody plays at the Olympiastadion anymore do they?

It has been used for a couple of matches by then 3rd/now 4th division (and financially struggling) Türkgücü Munich (club founded by immigrants in the 70s which had an ambitious sponsor trying to turn them professional) in recent years, but no regular football use anymore.