WC Germany 2006 _ Pick the Winner

Okay, it's only just over a month to go now, and I'm finding that pub and party conversations are now starting to turn towards predicting this year's Football World Champion. So, what's everyones' predictions here?

I'm leaning towards England as the winner. I'd love to see an England-Argentina final, and an England-Germany semi.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, with Rooney possibly missing the campaign, I’d say England’s chances are definitely dampened. None the less they have a great amount of death within their squad. I have heard Owen may miss the finals too, despite playing on the weekend.

None the less, I think it is time for England, I will really be shocked if they don’t make the Semi finals. Argentina should be strong too, though I think the Czechs may flounder despite a high World ranking.

I (and just about everyone else) just can’t look past Brazil at the moment so I’m predicting a Brazil v England final (although I haven’t analysed the groupings yet so this may not be possible).

I think Japan will do better then expected and make the round of 8, though I would also like to see Croatia there too.

My prediction for the only nation not to score a goal in the tournament is Australia!

Alright then

Round of 16

Germany vs. England

Poland vs. Sweden

Netherlands vs. Iran

Portugal vs. Cote D'Ivoire

Czech Republic vs. Croatia

Brazil vs. USA

France vs. Tunisia

Spain vs. Korea

Round of 8

Germany vs. Netherlands

Sweden vs. Cote D'Ivoire

Croatia vs. France

Brazil vs. Spain

Round of 4

Germany vs. Sweden

Croatia vs. Brazil

3rd Place

Croatia over Sweden

Final

Brazil over Germany

Using the BBC predictor (on their world cup site) I predicted a Brazil v Holland final with Brazil the victors.

Mind you, I did do that a few months ago, I might do it again some time to see if it still comes out like that.

Link

You are all overrating the German team. It´s one of the weakest European team at the moment.

But you're the hosters.

It is tempting to overrate the Germans. They are playing at home, even their mediocre team reached the final four years ago and above all: they're Germany. However, their current squad is really really lame. I can't see them go beyond the quarters (same for my own country).

Well.. Germany and Brazil wasn't the favourites for 2002 but they reached the Finals... Germany always have a good performance in the WC so I think they will reach at least to the Semifinals. Remember that the worst performance of a host country in the history of the World Cup was the round of 16 (Spain, Japan and the US). Brazil is my favourite and I don't see Argentina playing so good (I heard Messi it's out and he was the only difference for the Argentinean team that didn't pass the first round in 2006). I don't know why I feel that England will have a good performance...

Anyway, my predictions:

First round:

Group A: Germany, Poland, Ecuador, Costa Rica

Group B: England, Sweden, Paraguay, Trinidad and Tobago

Group C: Netherlands, Serbia, Argentina, Cote d'Ivoire

Group D: Portugal, Mexico, Iran, Angola

Group E: Czech Republic, Italy, United States, Ghana

Group F: Brazil, Australia, Croatia, Japan

Group G: France, Switzerland, South Korea, Togo

Group H: Ukraine, Spain, Tunisia, Saudi Arabia

Round of 16:

Germany vs. Sweden = Germany

Netherlands vs. Mexico = Netherlands

England vs. Poland = England

Portugal vs. Serbia = Portugal

Czech Republic vs. Australia = Czech Republic

France vs. Spain = France

Brazil vs. Italy = Brazil

Ukraine vs. Switzerland = Ukraine

Quarterfinals

Germany vs. Netherlands = Germany

Czech Republic vs. France = Czech Republic

England vs. Portugal = England

Brazil vs. Ukraine = Brazil

Semifinals

Germany vs. Czech Republic = Germany

England vs. Brazil = England

Final: England vs. Germany... England wins (that would be funny  :D )

KRATK, that would be phenomenal - I really hope England do well this year despite the last few days of bad luck.  I really can't predict who I think is going to win the competition - I was going to say the Netherlands but Quintana doesn't rate their chances very highly, perhaps Argentina will do well or maybe even Spain will finally suceed at a major tournament - though they always seem to leave early.

From a BBC News website:

The world's oldest football is being sent to Germany for the World Cup. The 450-year-old ball will form the centrepiece of an exhibition on the history of the sport. Staff at its current home in Stirling's Smith Museum are preparing the delicate artefact for its trip to the Museum fur Volkerkunde in Hamburg. The ball was once the property of Mary Queen of Scots and museum bosses in Germany were keen to display it after deeming it the oldest in existence.

"The Germans have decided, from all the evidence, that our ball is the oldest football in the world and it will be the centrepiece of this huge exhibition," said the Smith Museum's collection manager Michael McGinnes.

I wonder which of today's teams Mary would be supporting for 2006? Don't suppose it would be England somehow!! :kungfu:

Full story:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2....664.stm

KRATK, that would be phenomenal - I really hope England do well this year despite the last few days of bad luck.  I really can't predict who I think is going to win the competition - I was going to say the Netherlands but Quintana doesn't rate their chances very highly, perhaps Argentina will do well or maybe even Spain will finally suceed at a major tournament - though they always seem to leave early.

Spain is cursed. According the statistics, Brazil is the only South American team that could win the WC in Europe. Argentina? They are good but I don't see them winning... And Brazil... Ronaldo could seems to an elephant but the man is awesome, so I wouldn't be surprised if he and Ronaldinho make its country in the hexacampeon.

Anyway, a final in Berlin between Germany and England... That will be historical!!!

My predictions:

Group A- 1. Germany 2. Poland 3. Ecuador 4. Costa Rica

Group B- 1. England 2. Paraguay 3. Sweden 4. Trinidad and Tobago

Group C- 1. Argentina 2. Cote d'Ivoire 3. Netherlands 4. Serbia and Montenegro

Group D- 1. Portugal 2. Mexico 3. Iran 4. Angola

Group E- 1. Italy 2. Czech Republic 3. USA 4. Ghana

Group F- 1. Brazil 2. Japan 3. Croatia 4. Australia

Group G- 1. France 2. Togo 3. Switzerland 4. South Korea

Group H- 1. Spain 2. Ukraine 3. Tunisia 4. Saudi Arabia

Germany over Paraguay

Argentina over Mexico

Italy over Japan

France over Ukraine

Spain over Togo

Brazil over Czech Republic

Portugal over Cote d'Ivoire

England over Poland

Argetina over Germany

France over Italy

Brazil over Spain

Portugal over England

Argentina over France

Brazil over Portugal

3rd Place-Portugal over France

Final-My heart says Argentina, but my brain says Brazil.

Archived