5 minutes ago, JMarkSnow2012 said:

This is the second time in 8 years that Putin has totally disrespected the Winter Paralympics by invading Ukraine immediately after the Olympics.

Enough is enough.

Third time overall...

Putin invaded Georgia during the Beijing 2008 Paralympics. 

Putin fanned the flames of war in eastern Ukraine during the Sochi 2014 Paralympics (only some 400km away). 

Putin invaded Ukraine during the Beijing 2022 Paralympics. 

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Olympian2004 said:

Well, that is a lot from someone who almost accepted Russian and Belarusian athletes at these Games despite all that has happened in their name in Ukraine.

Idk about the West but the general sentiment here prefers them to play like the initial plan, because for them this is Western exceptionalism at play like if Russia got banned for this then shouldn't the Arabs and Iran got banned too over their govs infighting in Syria or Yemen? Shouldn't Israel be banned for their actions on Palestinians? That's the mood here, don't get me wrong, Russian invasion on Ukraine is BAD but pretending as if that's the only invasion happening atm, that's what makes these swift bans looking suspicious from Asian POV

perhaps Parsons was a bit defensive too after back-flippng less than 48 hours ago and suddenly finally banning Russia and Belarus after pressure on him by athletes themselves.

it was a poor decision earlier by the IPC which has led them to this awful angry speech tonight.    Peace is not to be shouted.   

I also like the circle stage with the colours that form the landscape. Reminds me of the 2008 Paralympic OC stage which also had a circle. 

5 minutes ago, zigzag said:

Idk about the West but the general sentiment here prefers them to play like the initial plan, because for them this is Western exceptionalism at play like if Russia got banned for this then shouldn't the Arabs and Iran got banned too over their govs infighting in Syria or Yemen? Shouldn't Israel be banned for their actions on Palestinians? That's the mood here, don't get me wrong, Russian invasion on Ukraine is BAD but pretending as if that's the only invasion happening atm, that's what makes these swift bans looking suspicious from Asian POV

Fair point, of course now is a time full of symbolic actions because the world has not a lot of other options, as the NATO has ruled out military action. And I understand that the Russian and Belarusian athletes find this treatment unfair, but frankly, I want them to blame their respective presidents for it - they have to go and it was their decision to start this ugly and uncalled-for war. And I think that is an additional sentiment behind those bans currently put into place against Russian and Belarusian representatives or institutions.

7 minutes ago, zigzag said:

Iran is supporting the technically-legitimate Syrian government. The same is probably true of Arabia's intervention in Yemen, but the decade-long conflict there is absurdly complicated.

I just thought: "Poor guy, why does no one help him with that torch?" Somehow the Chinese love to bring disabled athletes into really tough situations during their Paralympic cauldron lightings. I remember the athlete who had to pull himself up to the cauldron for the 2008 Paralympics while Li Ning was pulled up there automatically for the Olympic opening ceremony.

• Haha 1