Time to kick muddah-f*cking Russia out once & for all?

Finland is NOT hosting its upcoming FIE fencing tournament in Turku this September 23-24 upon word of Russia and Belarus fencers allowed to compete. Germany, Sweden, and Poland already cancelled theirs:

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1135002/finland-refuse-fie-tournament-russia

• 1 month later...

Russia is definitely NOT among the 40 nations that failed to qualify for the upcoming 2023 FIBA Pre-Olympic Qualifying Tournaments starting after the World Basketball Championships August 12-20 despite the IOC's recommendation of athletes with Russian and Belarussian passports to participate in international comps. Continue to punish them, FIBA. Sorry, Andrei Kirilenko. Like you a lot as a player and a person but this is much bigger than you.

Bulgaria obtains the 12th-best European spot--Wish it was Team GB instead, though:

https://www.fiba.basketball/news/road-to-paris-2024-still-open-for-40-teams-missing-out-on-world-cup-2023

1 hour ago, Durban Sandshark said:

Russia is definitely NOT among the 40 nations that failed to qualify for the upcoming 2023 FIBA Pre-Olympic Qualifying Tournaments starting after the World Basketball Championships August 12-20 despite the IOC's recommendation of athletes with Russian and Belarussian passports to participate in international comps. Continue to punish them, FIBA. Sorry, Andrei Kirilenko. Like you a lot as a player and a person but this is much bigger than you.

Bulgaria obtains the 12th-best European spot--Wish it was Team GB instead, though:

https://www.fiba.basketball/news/road-to-paris-2024-still-open-for-40-teams-missing-out-on-world-cup-2023

i mean, assuming the IOC's current recommendations are in place by 2024, Russia can't compete anyways because only individual athletes w/ RUS passports can compete, not teams of athletes w/ RUS passports

13 hours ago, Bear said:

i mean, assuming the IOC's current recommendations are in place by 2024, Russia can't compete anyways because only individual athletes w/ RUS passports can compete, not teams of athletes w/ RUS passports

Sure. It'll be like the Yugoslavian Independent Olympic Participants in Barcelona back over 30 years ago because of the UN just imposing sanctions for its atrocities on Bosnia-Herzegovina, Croatia, and earlier at the time Slovenia. Yugoslavia's men's basketball and (then-defending 1984 and 1988 gold medalists) water polo, and men's and women's handball teams, I recall, were slated to compete until a couple days before the Opening Ceremony when the IOC said no along with any other team sports (Canada was expected to even the field at 14 if Yugoslavia was allowed to compete in men's basketball). Then Serbia, North Macedonia, Montenegro, and Kosovo. Italy replaced Yugoslavia in the women's pre-Olympic basketball tournament in Vigo, Spain for the four remaining spots--was an 8-team field back then. Concern was even raised over Spain's government not recognizing Yugoslavian passports then.

If Yugoslavia's 1992 IOPs are an indicator, would Russia and Belarus not be allowed to appear in the Paris Opening Ceremony?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hmmmmm. I expect this is the formula the IOC will likely adopt. Wash their hands of it and let the IFs decide. At least the IAAF seems firm, but I reckon we’ll see a few adopt this:

World Aquatics Bureau agrees criteria to allow Russians and Belarusians to participate as neutrals

On the plus side, it does appear the Russkis won’t be able to se the Asian events as qualifiers:

Russians and Belarusians to not compete at Hangzhou 2022 Asian Games as IOC says plan is "not feasible"

43 minutes ago, Sir Rols said:

Hmmmmm. I expect this is the formula the IOC will likely adopt. Wash their hands of it and let the IFs decide. At least the IAAF seems firm, but I reckon we’ll see a few adopt this:

World Aquatics Bureau agrees criteria to allow Russians and Belarusians to participate as neutrals

On the plus side, it does appear the Russkis won’t be able to se the Asian events as qualifiers:

Russians and Belarusians to not compete at Hangzhou 2022 Asian Games as IOC says plan is "not feasible"

I'm okay with that, mostly because I don't trust the IOC to make the right decision.  Let the sports set the criteria, hopefully restrictive enough that anyone with even a hint of support of the war on social media is already excluded.  No more of this "Russia Olympic Committee" nonsense that the IOC thought was the solution the last 3 times around.  Try that in Europe and see how it goes over with the crowds there

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Quaker2001 said:

hopefully restrictive enough that anyone with even a hint of support of the war on social media is already excluded. 

this is already an IOC recommendation for the IFs if they wish to seek Russian / Belarussian participation in their respective sports

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Rob2012 said:

spacer.png

Seems like the IOC developed some guts to suspend such a powerful organization but falls just short of a blanket ban ala South Africa for its racist and evil apartheid policies. Like many posters here, I still don't think the IOC will ultimately make the right decision and kick them out. Wash their hands of the saga and allow the international sports federations handle Russia themselves and restrict anyone who even vaguely support the invasion. On the other hand, Russia's government, the ROC, and its national sports federations would surely and continuously say f-you to all of us and resurrect their Friendship Games with their allies. I also don't think the Russian athletes don't care about Paris now at this point. Not gonna be missed.

Sorry Irina, we certainly don't think "the IOC has outlived its usefulness" here. But that's a separate issue. 

• 3 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, Rob2012 said:

Whoa! Thanks for bringing that to our attention @Rob2012.

Maybe it deserves a thread of its own considering ITG is such a major news source for so many of us here.

I’d seen the ITG announcement earlier this week, but unless you’re aware of corporate structures in Europe, it was just pretty opaque who they were selling to. The name Vox Media didn’t ring any alarms. I was more taken that it seemed that it meant a move on by Duncan Mackay, a bloody good Olympic journalist who I’d miss.

Ever since they broke the Valieva story, they’ve been a major target of he Russian troll farms. Every story they’d done on Russian sports sanctions got a flood of them - compared to here where they pretty well ignore us, despite the fact we’re pretty vehement in our anti-Russian comments and we’d attracted state trolls in the past during Beijing (2008) and Sochi.

So now it looks like they’ve bought ITG to silence them. Going to be interesting to watch them now - and if their remaking good journos like Phil Barker and David Owen get much stuff printed any more.  

Replying here because it was brought up here, but is it just me or did ITG's quality almost instantly implode since the announcement? And it looks like all their staff got removed and replaced as well which is very unfortunate.

12 minutes ago, Bear said:

Replying here because it was brought up here, but is it just me or did ITG's quality almost instantly implode since the announcement? And it looks like all their staff got removed and replaced as well which is very unfortunate.

No, not just you. I’ve been meaning to comment, but thought I’d give them some time to see if they picked up. But no. I don’t even think their remaking “journalists” are even native English speakers - they’re literally running Google-translated press releases, including from the Russian Olympic Committee, now :wacko:

So, so sad. It used to be an excellent site with some outstanding journalists, and now it’s just an irrelevant and embarrassingly poor site that can’t even struggle to the status of clickbait.

RIP Inside The Games, you were great while you lasted.

Anyone able to commend any other good Olympic news sites?

Edited by Sir Rols

15 minutes ago, Sir Rols said:

@baron-pierreIV, I think I remember you mentioning you’ve worked with Phil Barker through the Olympic History Journal. Any chance you could ask hm what happened at ITG, and whether he and the other journos there have moved on or working elsewhere?

I'll try.  But since Phil now is editor-in-chief of the ISOH Journal, still a strictly volunteer position, it's getting harder and harder to get complete answers from him.  And even sending in my input as one of the 3 proofreaders for the ISOH rag, I always get incomplete answers from him, i.e., if he doesn't address a query, I should take it that he's not interested or doesn't have the time to fully address it.  

27 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

I'll try.  But since Phil now is editor-in-chief of the ISOH Journal, still a strictly volunteer position, it's getting harder and harder to get complete answers from him.  And even sending in my input as one of the 3 proofreaders for the ISOH rag, I always get incomplete answers from him, i.e., if he doesn't address a query, I should take it that he's not interested or doesn't have the time to fully address it.  

He might have a LOT more time now ;)

Been looking up other sites

The Inquisitor site @Rob2012 quoted above seems pretty good, if somewhat hyper-critical of he IOC and FFA et al, Andrew Jennings style. More comment than news, though. It is subscription, but free for basic access.

Around The Rings is still going, and seems to cover the major Olympic announcements, but not as regularly or forensically as ITG did, or GamesBids itself does.

There’s also Sports Business Journal, but it seems to mainly focus on the US sports market, and focussed on the Olympics only tangentially.