Time to kick muddah-f*cking Russia out once & for all?

The right decision at last...

The current war in Ukraine, however, puts the Olympic Movement in a dilemma. While athletes from Russia and Belarus would be able to continue to participate in sports events, many athletes from Ukraine are prevented from doing so because of the attack on their country.

This is a dilemma which cannot be solved. The IOC EB has therefore today carefully considered the situation and, with a heavy heart, issued the following resolution:

1. In order to protect the integrity of global sports competitions and for the safety of all the participants, the IOC EB recommends that International Sports Federations and sports event organisers not invite or allow the participation of Russian and Belarusian athletes and officials in international competitions.

2. Wherever this is not possible on short notice for organisational or legal reasons, the IOC EB strongly urges International Sports Federations and organisers of sports events worldwide to do everything in their power to ensure that no athlete or sports official from Russia or Belarus be allowed to take part under the name of Russia or Belarus. Russian or Belarusian nationals, be it as individuals or teams, should be ccepted only as neutral athletes or neutral teams. No national symbols, colours, flags or anthems should be displayed.

https://olympics.com/ioc/news/ioc-eb-recommends-no-participation-of-russian-and-belarusian-athletes-and-officials

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rob. said:

The right decision at last...

The current war in Ukraine, however, puts the Olympic Movement in a dilemma. While athletes from Russia and Belarus would be able to continue to participate in sports events, many athletes from Ukraine are prevented from doing so because of the attack on their country.

This is a dilemma which cannot be solved. The IOC EB has therefore today carefully considered the situation and, with a heavy heart, issued the following resolution:

1. In order to protect the integrity of global sports competitions and for the safety of all the participants, the IOC EB recommends that International Sports Federations and sports event organisers not invite or allow the participation of Russian and Belarusian athletes and officials in international competitions.

2. Wherever this is not possible on short notice for organisational or legal reasons, the IOC EB strongly urges International Sports Federations and organisers of sports events worldwide to do everything in their power to ensure that no athlete or sports official from Russia or Belarus be allowed to take part under the name of Russia or Belarus. Russian or Belarusian nationals, be it as individuals or teams, should be ccepted only as neutral athletes or neutral teams. No national symbols, colours, flags or anthems should be displayed.

https://olympics.com/ioc/news/ioc-eb-recommends-no-participation-of-russian-and-belarusian-athletes-and-officials

It took a literal war. But it happened at least. Should have been because of more investigation on the Valieva case, the 2014 dopping scandal revelation but in the end, to be actually banned from the games, you need to be perceived as the agressor in the most deadly way. Makes you think the reason for the games be "apolitical" is because they may be at the mercy of whomever has the actual power...

5 hours ago, munichfan said:

What does "putting on high alert" mean in this case? One would think both sides keep their arsenal in a state to be able to start doomsday any minute, anyway.

What's really the dangerous part now is Putin has put himself into a position where he probably thinks he can't retreat any longer. His invasion does not seem to go as planned, the West stands as united as never before since Reagan, the sanctions have already started to cripple his economy, the world thinks of him as a filthy warmonger, and his population seems to start to wake up that this is not just a "special military operation" to keep the so-called people's republics alive.

Well, there is always the coward's way out -- a cyanide pill or a bullet.  The KGB guys are trained to do that -- so the WHOLE WORLD can pray that that the path he takes.  That way, he wouldn't have to live with any shame.  

• Like 1

https://twg2022.com/2022/ban-athletes-officials/

The World Games 2022 Birmingham Organizing Committee Bans Russian and Belarusian Athletes and Officials from Competition

BIRMINGHAM, Ala., USA – The Board of Directors of The World Games 2022 Birmingham Organizing Committee voted to ban athletes and officials from Russia and Belarus from participating in The World Games 2022 in Birmingham this July.

This decision is in keeping with the International Olympic Committee’s Executive Board recommendation earlier this morning. The World Games 2022, which takes place from July 7-17, is organized with the support of the International Olympic Committee.

The World Games 2022 CEO Nick Sellers and Birmingham Mayor Randall Woodfin will deliver further remarks on this decision at the Kiwanis Club of Birmingham on Tuesday, March 1 at 12 p.m. at the Harbert Center, 2019 4th Avenue North. The media are invited to cover the remarks.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Sir Rols said:

No, Tracey, it doesn’t. The precedent was set with Germany-Japan after WWII.

She also missed the Apartheid ban and Yugoslavia. History didn't start last week.

And actually, the precedent was already after WW1. Germany had to sit out both 1920 and 1924 even.

• Thanks 1

On Friday night, I attended a vigil in my local town, where the colours of the Ukrainian flag are being projected onto public buildings every night this week as a gesture of solidarity with the people there who are currently under attack. Among those present was a Ukrainian national, who has lived in our area for the past 18 years and has family near Kyiv. It was my task to interview her and that interview was one of the most emotional I've ever done. One line from what she said will probably stay with me longer than any other. It was: "It's really difficult not knowing what tomorrow will bring." It's hard to think of a moment for that nation and its people when those words have been more apt than they are right now.

Like I'm sure most people are, I'm worried about what could still happen to the Ukrainian people. But it seems to me that this is already a massive miscalculation on the part of the Kremlin. It appears clear that they have already encountered far more substantial resistance than they ever expected to and that issue is being exacerbated by the extent of international support for Ukraine. Not only that, but Russia is now well on the way to the status of international pariah that Putin's regime has frankly deserved for years. Whatever the outcome of this war militarily, the broader consequences for Russia are likely to be far-reaching and long-lasting. 

• Like 3

Here's the thing with present Russia who still hasn't washed away its Stalinist zeitgeist.  They'll play/pretend to be a team player but once they've gotten what they've wanted by hook or by crook, THEN they (or the ruling junta) show its true THUGGISH colors.  I always had a bad feeling when that drunk Yelstin "picked" this shifty KGB guy from out of nowhere to lead his country.  I think the decision was probably made for him by the KGB.  

4 hours ago, Sir Rols said:

Wow! Just when I figured the IOC and FIFA had been pushed kicking and screaming to go as far as their flags and Athens bans, I wake up to this!

It would be churlish not to applaud them for making the big call.

And Putin loses his Olympic Order…

Finally but I'd like to see the IOC go even further and warn that any sports federation that chooses to go forward with competitions in either Russia or Belarus will result in that sport being suspended from either the Paris or Milan Olympics.

Not sure if there's any Russians in the IOC or IPC but if so they should face immediate expulsion.

8 hours ago, stryker said:

Finally but I'd like to see the IOC go even further and warn that any sports federation that chooses to go forward with competitions in either Russia or Belarus will result in that sport being suspended from either the Paris or Milan Olympics.

Not sure if there's any Russians in the IOC or IPC but if so they should face immediate expulsion.

Baby steps. This is already a pretty big deal for them, so gotta give them some credit for going this far. I think most of us hoped this would happen, but were in our hearts doubtful it would.

We’re already seeing things like the Russki head of the judo federation resigning, so the de-Russification of international sport is moving.

Edited by Sir Rols

I’m actually most relived at the FIFA decision. The consequences of them doing nothing if Poland, Sweden and the Czechs stood by their principles was ludicrous - basically it would have given Russia a free ticket to the WC. Thank god common sense prevailed, in FIFA of all things, where common sense is rarely seen.