Time to kick muddah-f*cking Russia out once & for all?

The USD being the world's main trading currency also causes economic issues in the USA too (by artificially inducing greater consumption and reduced production). But I mostly agree with that.

The weird thing is that China has profited immensely from the American school of economics and having an artificially weak yuan. So why would they want to make the yuan the global trading currency if it means strangling their industrial economy just like the USA has during the era of the inflated dollar, or British industrial decline in the era of pounds sterling being the world's trading currency?

• Like 1

Q: Oh, really? That's interesting. Considering Kazakhstan asked for Moscow's help (& received) to help quench their riots at the beginning of the year.

Kazakhstan said yesterday they will not provide troops or weapons to Russia to support the invasion of Ukraine.

This morning Putin put the nuclear arsenal on high alert....that really crosses the line no country can ignore that threat.

12 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

He's really mad.  I hope the generals and the oligarchs can quell him somewhat.  

He’s even threatening Finland & Sweden now.

While at the same time he’s losing his marbles, the far-right over here is cheering him on. IDK what’s more abhorrent.

15 minutes ago, FYI said:

While at the same time he’s losing his marbles, the far-right over here is cheering him on. IDK what’s more abhorrent.

2022's answer to the Friends of New Germany. 

You would think the progress of the fighting would make them question their position, though. If liberalization makes a country weak and disunited, how do we explain a "degenerate" west-leaning and very much united Ukraine fighting very well against a less liberalized state with a nationalist neo-imperialist ideology (whose soldiers seem strangely uninterested in dying for the sake of a new Russian Empire)?

Edited by Nacre

35 minutes ago, FYI said:

I was not surprised.  But I say -- let them.  #1 - It's a free country; and #2 - I think it'll be a death warrant for the likes of Trump, etc. when they face the general election.  It will be so easy to brand them as "traitors" and "quislings" in the eyes of the general electorate during the campaign -- and their statements now should help seal their defeats.  

4 hours ago, Sir Rols said:

That’s the way I read it too. The Ukraine is not going to be pacified - if anything Putin’s ensured it’s going to be a festering quagmire for a long time. Meanwhile he’s ensured Russia is isolated, a pariah and it’s economy is going to be in decline. Any further adventures are going to put it straight into conflict with a reinvigorated and determined NATO and the real risk of MAD. The best he can hope for long term is to become a client state of Xi’s, a new Kim.

The main caveat, though, is that the world maintains its diligence. We’re already seeing the west start to adjust its structures to a “new norm” of managing without Russian trade. The risk is if we start to backslide after the immediate heat dies down. It’s vital that we keep it isolated long term. And sport plays as much a part in that as economic sanctions - a la the anti-Apartheid playbook. 

Interesting analysis. I don't know how Russia being submissive to China will work politically though for them. I could see that relationship deteriorating at some point. If anything Xi would be watching this very closely in relation to Taiwan and (I hope) realising that the sheer reputational hit that China would face could be catastrophic for such an image conscious people. 

I would genuinely like to see Russia and Belarus out of all Olympic competition until further notice. That could mean the Russians have missed all three Los Angeles Olympics. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Australian Kiwi said:

I would genuinely like to see Russia and Belarus out of all Olympic competition until further notice. That could mean the Russians have missed all three Los Angeles Olympics. 

But they did show up for the Centennial Games in Atlanta.  But Strike 3 could be a charm.  

We know what side Brazil is on in WW3

Brazil's Bolsonaro mocks Ukraine

In a news conference on Sunday, Brazil's far-right president Jair Bolsonaro mocked Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky - saying his counterpart's people had placed their hopes in the hands of a comedian.

Bolsonaro has refused to condemn Russia's invasion and on Sunday said Brazil would stay "neutral" in the conflict, adding that Brazil and Russia are "practically brother nations".

"We will not take sides, we will continue being neutral, and help with whatever is possible," Bolsonaro said. "A big part of Ukraine's population speaks Russian."

He claimed he also held a two hour discussion with Putin on Sunday, but the country's foreign ministry later clarified that he was referring to his visit to Moscow earlier this month

3 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

I was not surprised.  But I say -- let them.  #1 - It's a free country; and #2 - I think it'll be a death warrant for the likes of Trump, etc. when they face the general election.  It will be so easy to brand them as "traitors" and "quislings" in the eyes of the general electorate during the campaign -- and their statements now should help seal their defeats.  

Will they though? With gerrymandered districts plus endless Fox News indoctrination (and Dems rather getting at each other‘s throats than pushing hard at the others), I think they‘ll take the mid-terms and then again the WH with another horror clown (or even the same one who would sell Ukraine and Europe to Vlad over dinner and uhm, a night in a fancy Moscow hotel with company).

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Sir Rols said:

Bolsonaro’s definitely on my list of world leaders I’d like to see suffer a violent demise

Yes. Singlehandedly made the climate crisis worse, let Covid go wild with a huge death toll and always siding with the worst of the worst. Because neutrality means being complice in this situation (hello, Switzerland).

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, StefanMUC said:

Will they though? With gerrymandered districts plus endless Fox News indoctrination (and Dems rather getting at each other‘s throats than pushing hard at the others), I think they‘ll take the mid-terms and then again the WH with another horror clown (or even the same one who would sell Ukraine and Europe to Vlad over dinner and uhm, a night in a fancy Moscow hotel with company).

Yeah, I was about to say to Baron’s post - But this piece from nearly two months ago paints a very grim picture, that it’s cringeworthy:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/jan/03/us-rightwing-dictatorship-2030-trump-canada

4 hours ago, Australian Kiwi said:

That would be interesting tidbit for Olympic trivia. But I don’t see the Russians being kept out for that long.

And heck, heaven forbid, another wanna-be tyrant would welcome Russia with open arms in L.A. come 2028 anyway. That’s of course assuming, the world even makes it ‘til then with the way things are going lately.

2 hours ago, StefanMUC said:

If the polls were wrong in 2016 and Frump squeezed by Hillary, I think the polls CAN be wrong this November.  Democrats' fervor fade after each election, but come crunch time, esp w/ the way the MAGA crowd is behaving, the Democratci base shows up.  The Trumpies who have cooled against him because his fund-raising has ripped them off, have just stayed quiet -- so that is an undercount.  Whatever advantages the GOPers might gain in gerrymandering this time, I am hoping the Covid deaths in those districts from the MAGAs will offset the so-called GOP advantages there.  If the Dems come out and register, I think we may keep control of both houses.  Oh, and just wait until the Jan 6 Comm findings come out plus the INDICTMENTS on Frump himself.  I believe those will start to manifest by August or so.  

Edited by baron-pierreIV

10 hours ago, TorchbearerSydney said:

This morning Putin put the nuclear arsenal on high alert....that really crosses the line no country can ignore that threat.

What does "putting on high alert" mean in this case? One would think both sides keep their arsenal in a state to be able to start doomsday any minute, anyway.

What's really the dangerous part now is Putin has put himself into a position where he probably thinks he can't retreat any longer. His invasion does not seem to go as planned, the West stands as united as never before since Reagan, the sanctions have already started to cripple his economy, the world thinks of him as a filthy warmonger, and his population seems to start to wake up that this is not just a "special military operation" to keep the so-called people's republics alive.