Time to kick muddah-f*cking Russia out once & for all?

Renember that thing about the IOC not wanting events in Russia and Belarus? Well, FIVB isn´t having any of it.

https://www.reuters.com/lifestyle/sports/fivb-proceeding-with-world-championship-russia-as-planned-2022-02-25/

FIVB proceeding with world championship in Russia 'as planned'

2 minute read

BERLIN, Feb 25 (Reuters) - Preparations for the men's world championship to be held in Russia in August are on track and are proceeding as planned despite Russia's invasion of Ukraine, the international volleyball federation (FIVB) said on Friday.

Russia is set to host the world championships from Aug. 26-Sept. 11, with group matches held across several cities and the final round of games in Moscow.

"The FIVB is working in close collaboration with the Russian volleyball federation and organising committee Volleyball 2022 in preparation for various volleyball and beach volleyball events set to be held in the country which are progressing as planned," the FIVB told Reuters in a statement.

https://en.volleyballworld.com/volleyball/competitions/women-worldchampionship-2022/news/drawing-of-lots-for-fivb-volleyball-women-s-world-championship-to-be-held-in-swi

Also, Women´s Worlds Draw delayed because of the situation of war. Poland(one of the host countries, toghether with the Netherlands for some god forsaken reason, would host the draw that is now in Lausanne, FIVB HQ) also isn´t much a friend for Russia as well, even offering to host the men´s worlds if Russia is stripped.

31 minutes ago, Guilga said:

Renember that thing about the IOC not wanting events in Russia and Belarus? Well, FIVB isn´t having any of it.

https://www.reuters.com/lifestyle/sports/fivb-proceeding-with-world-championship-russia-as-planned-2022-02-25/

Nooooooooo!  That can't be true.  I hope FIVB isn't that RETARDED!!  There are still about 6 months to find ANOTHER host.  The IOC is going to give it to them.  And if not, many teams will be boycotting those championships so they are GOING to look EXTREMELY foolish and out-of-touch.  I hope somebody smacks the FIVB Exec board into reality.  

3 hours ago, Sir Rols said:

As if the IBA’s position at the Olympics wasn’t precarious enough

International Boxing Association not planning to move on from general partner Gazprom

Their President is Russian, as with FIE and ISSF. And Putin is Honorary President of IJF.

The kraken is everywhere, thought what FIVB is thinking right now…I really wonder if they are in a parallel universe. There must be a clear message from participating countries, like what happened with Russia‘s exclusion from Eurovision. First the EBU put out meaningless stuff about music uniting people and when members started threatening to withdraw, they took action.

Regarding the Polish FA statement. I assume normally in this case it would be treated as a forfeit and the points awarded to the other team - in this case Russia? But could FIFA really afford to test that to world public opinion?

edit: okay, I see the Czechs and Swedes play each other, and are being rescheduled outside Russia

Edited by Sir Rols

2 minutes ago, Sir Rols said:

Regarding the Polish FA statement. I assume normally in this case it would be treated as a forfeit and the points awarded to the other team - in this case Russia? But could FIFA really afford to test that to world public opinion? And if the Czechs and Swedes joined…

If they all come to this position FIFA will either need to make an exception to its rules or give Russia a bye to the world cup!

Problem is, when the countries and people strongly opposing Russia are already within the existing American defensive alliances (NATO, Japan-USA, Korea-USA, Five Eyes) what more can be done. The UN security council vote on the issue was 11 for, 3 abstentions and 1 veto. The 3 abstentions being China, India and UAE. India having historically strong ties with the Soviet Union. China being like, we support Russia, but maybe not on this. The UAE is weird. They are certainly apart of the alliance against Iran/Syria and those are supported by Russia. 

So how much can the 40+ countries do? Especially if regional allies like the ones in the Gulf aren't lining up behind and if India (who has been courting stronger US ties because of China) takes a seat? Russia has their meddling hands all over Africa so that is a problem too. And then you have the tinpot dictators in Venezuela, Cuba and Nicaragua that will stop a unified position from OAS.

Ah, FIVB is finally waking up.  

News - FIVB removes VNL from Russia 

So, it's starting to first move the VNL matches (of, II imagine, both genders) out of Russia.  And then, take away the Men's World Championships which will be a little harder to set up on such short notice if FIVB is to try and keep its broadcast commitments for that tournament -- and I hope, FIVB, also expels the Russian teams for at least this season!!  

I also hope USA Volleyball can step in and host the Men's Championships if moved out of Russia.  I imagine the leading candidates FIVB is now talking to are the USA, Italy and probably Japan.  

• Like 2

Just that the EBU on Twitter says they have not received any official cancellation of membership.

But I guess they'd be thrown out sooner than later anyway (not Russia as such of course, as the EBU is not an organisation of states but of TV/radio channels, so it'll be RTR, Ostankino and Channel 1).

On 2/25/2022 at 1:35 PM, FYI said:

So Zelenskyy is pretty adamant that, "the West should do 'more', besides just sanctions". Though, without direct conflict with Russia, what else can be done. 

The West can provide the weapons, ammunition, electronics, fuel, medical supplies, etc that Ukraine needs to resist.

This whole thing reminds me so much of the 1930's. The Versailles Treaty was unfair to Germany, but that did not justify the German response and Germany was ultimately fooled by its own insane propaganda. Post-Soviet Russia's security needs have not been taken seriously by NATO, but that doesn't justify invading Ukraine and I think that Putin and the Russian nationalists have clearly fallen for their own lies about NATO taking apart the Russosphere against the will of its people. Ukrainians clearly have no desire to be a part of a new Russian Empire; it's not NATO pushing itself into Eastern Europe but rather Eastern Europeans wanting the freedoms and prosperity of the West.