Ukraine reaffirms 2030 Winter Olympics bid in shadow of Russian threat

GBModerator

Ukraine has continued to prepare a bid to host the 2030 Olympic Winter Games despite escalating tensions due to the Russian buildup of troops along the border, sport minister Vadym Huttsait said Friday. Last year Huttsait  declared Ukraine’s entry into the 2030 Olympic bid race and Ukraine President Volodymyr Zelenskyy later confirmed ambitions with International […]

The post Ukraine reaffirms 2030 Winter Olympics bid in shadow of Russian threat appeared first on GamesBids.com.

View the full article

1 hour ago, StefanMUC said:

You know you can visit it as part of an organised day tour from Kyiv? 

Not now of course…

Save the money for the geiger counter, though! The ones they had on my tour did not have an option to mute and that constant alarm sound was soooo draining!

5 hours ago, Australian Kiwi said:

Ukraine would make an amazing Winter Olympics host but even if they were awarded Russia would do everything in its power to overshadow it and cause drama. 

As Russia's going for the real thing aka 2036, I guess they wouldn't mind a winter games in their sphere of influence - just like I am sure they were supportive of Almaty for 2022. And let's be honest, the Ukraine mid- to long-term has no other chance than getting cuddly with Moscow again one way or the other.

ukraine will opt close to the city of lviv (breslau in german)

thats also the mountain-region where poland and/or slovakia benefit from

the carpathians ars a totally new  region still in evolution as real wintersport destination 

for generations to come in eastern europe..

maybe there can be saught a double/triple country organization

to play for safe in that region though with russian-agression impact

Breslau is actually Wroclaw/Poland.

Lviv in German is Lemberg.

The fact that this is being brought up now is to show defiance in times of great threat. I guess nobody in Ukrainian politics really believes this would stand a chance.

7 minutes ago, StefanMUC said:

Breslau is actually Wroclaw/Poland.

Lviv in German is Lemberg.

The fact that this is being brought up now is to show defiance in times of great threat. I guess nobody in Ukrainian politics really believes this would stand a chance.

danke stefan.. lemberg is indeed the right name in german..

this flower is for you, thanks for the straighten up @)--)-----

(so is danzig for gdansk)

(so is magdeburg for maribor)

6 minutes ago, fatixxx said:

(so is magdeburg for maribor)

You’re welcome :)

Maribor is Marburg though - not to be confused with German Marburg, which is why nobody here still uses that name. In Austria, the German names for towns in what was once Austria-Hungary are actually still much more in use than in Germany (Ljubljana/Laibach, Bratislava/Pressburg, Szekesfehervar/Stuhlweissenburg, Gorizia/Görz).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, munichfan said:

And let's be honest, the Ukraine mid- to long-term has no other chance than getting cuddly with Moscow again one way or the other.

There was a lady (I forget her name) on Meet the Press this morning, that was describing part of Putin's strategy for this, is for part of his legacy. And how the timing, in his view, is more favorable than ever before to go into Ukraine, & probably won't be again for a long while. Let's just hope in the end, that he's also rationale enough, which was also mentioned, for him not to do this. 

2 hours ago, StefanMUC said:

Maribor is Marburg though - not to be confused with German Marburg, which is why nobody here still uses that name.

Yep. Don't you guys confuse my current town of residence! :lol:

1 hour ago, FYI said:

There was a lady (I forget her name) on Meet the Press this morning, that was describing part of Putin's strategy for this, is for part of his legacy. And how the timing, in his view, is more favorable than ever before to go into Ukraine, & probably won't be again for a long while. Let's just hope in the end, that he's also rationale enough, which was also mentioned, for him not to do this. 

It was just so silly of the West to lure this country over by promising an EU and NATO membership (both of which one could know Russia would not allow to happen after their involvement in Geogria in 2008). Now we're just standing there and basically doing nothing while this ship keeps sinking.

yeaaah, thats a bold strategy cotton.....

Ive seen the light, this ones not happening.  Show of bravery, if anything.  

I mean, in terms of Carpathian riding, Ive snowboarded Brasov over in Romania.  Absolutely a great experience.  Different feel than Alps, thats for sure.  Id love to see some ski infrastructure developed in that region.  Ill absolutely be back to Brasov when they get that airport up and going, that will be epically convenient.  But again, back to Ukraine/Lviv.  If there were absolutely no geopolitical issues there right now, it would still be a hell of an ask.

I’m starting to think theres a scheme going on with the IOC. They might lock 2030 in for Ukraine and 2036 for Russia instead of going with other countries that are much better imo.

3 minutes ago, AliciasBlade said:

I’m starting to think theres a scheme going on with the IOC. They might lock 2030 in for Ukraine and 2036 for Russia instead of going with other countries that are much better imo.

As much as I question the IOC‘s behaviour, they are not THAT dumb.

Solidarity with Ukraine. Sadly the IOC is still the same beast from 1936 that has no backbone when faced with a dictator. 

It's going to be interesting to see Russia enter Stade de France in 2024. Two years is not a long time after the events of the last 24 hours. 

I would support action to bar them following the manner in which the world handled Germany and Japan at London 1948. Why should an agent of aggression be welcome at a so-called festival of peace?

• Like 2