Q: There's a lot that needs to happen and much could go wrong if they fall short on any of their time lines

Agreed- the one thing they do have of course is back up plan B (venues in Melbourne) basically for every sport. And I think that is a reasonable outcome if that occurs for a couple of sports because of the tight timeframe.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, AustralianFan said:

Great photo of the cycling track in Ballarat.   Whether it is developed/upgraded for the 2026 Games or not remains to be seen.

The problem with upgrading these regional outdoor cycling tracks is that the infield oval is actually used by the community and community sport clubs/events so if they were to upgrade a track to become indoor like Brisbane’s, you would lose the oval. My bet is Melbourne will host the track cycling at John Cain Arena. It just would make sense and I think most would be comfortable with that as a one off event in Melbourne given the limited timeframe and costs involved in building a brand new indoor cycling track in Regional Victoria. 

• Like 2

On a side note, do the governments usually run the games? It seems like this games is very much Victorian government run. In the past I thought the games were government supported, funded but ran by an independent games organisation? Even the government appointed one of their own as CEO. 

Game On: Dates Locked In, More Sports For 2026

The Victoria 2026 Commonwealth Games dates are locked in and a process is open for additional sports to be added to the program.

The Commonwealth Games will be held between 17-29 March 2026, beginning with the Opening Ceremony at the Melbourne Cricket Ground where athletes and visitors from around Australia and the world will gather to celebrate the start of the Games.

The Opening Ceremony will be followed by 12 days of competition between the Commonwealth’s best athletes across regional Victoria, allowing our regions to shine on the world stage.

The Andrews Labor Government will work with the education sector in relation to the school term dates that year to ensure the participation of as many Victorians in the Games as possible.

An expressions of interest process for additional sports to be included in the Victoria 2026 Commonwealth Games has commenced and will involve submissions from international sporting federations with support from recognised or affiliated Australian organisations. The period for consideration will close on 19 August.

In a Commonwealth Games first, Victoria 2026 will introduce a multi-city model that delivers global sport to four regional hubs in Geelong, Bendigo, Ballarat and Gippsland. Each of those hubs will have its own athletes’ village and host a range of sports that will create a legacy for Victoria that extends well beyond the competition period.

International Federations wanting to express an interest in participating in Victoria 2026 should contact Victoria2026Sports@sport.vic.gov.au

Quotes attributable to Deputy Premier and Minister for Commonwealth Games Delivery Jacinta Allan

“We’ve locked in the dates for the Commonwealth’s finest athletes to compete for gold in regional Victoria at the 2026 Games.’’

“We’re getting on with delivering this global sporting event and including more sports will draw more of the Commonwealth’s finest athletes to our own backyard to inspire Victorians.’’

Quote attributable to Minister for Commonwealth Games Legacy Shaun Leane

“It’s great to have the date locked – and now the hard work begins, as we work with local communities to ensure they get a life long benefit out of this terrific event.”

Quote attributable to Commonwealth Games Federation President Dame Louise Martin

“We are delighted to see the dates confirmed for Victoria 2026 so that athletes, sports and fans start to prepare for a spectacular sporting competition.”

Quote attributable to Commonwealth Games Australia President Ben Houston

“Commonwealth Games Australia is excited about welcoming the athletes of the Commonwealth to Victoria during the second half of March 2026. This time of year traditionally sees Victoria’s climate at its best and conducive to top sporting performances.”

Shaun Leane MP has appointed as Minister for Commonwealth Games Legacy

As Minister for Commonwealth Games Legacy Shaun is looking forward to working with regional communities to ensure that the Games leave a lasting positive impact across the state, with a focus on social enterprise and local jobs and procurement.

AusCycling To Pitch For More Cycling Disciplines At Victoria 2026 Commonwealth Games

AusCycling has welcomed the opportunity to work with the Victorian Government, regional authorities and local communities to have more disciplines featured in the 2026 Commonwealth Games.

The Victorian Government today announced that the Games would be held between March 17 and 29, 2026, and that sports not included in the original program will have until August 19 this year to make their case for inclusion in the Games.

While road racing is confirmed for the 2026 Games, AusCycling CEO Marne Fechner said other cycling and riding disciplines would add enormous value and entertainment to the event.

“Cycling and riding have a long and distinguished history at the Commonwealth Games, with great Australian riders competing in road, track and mountain bike events since 1934,” Fechner said.

“We look forward to making the case to include a wide range of cycling events at Victoria 2026, including established and emerging disciplines in track, BMX, mountain bike and para-cycling in all its forms.

Track cycling and mountain biking were included at the 2018 Commonwealth Games. Photo: Con Chronis

“Regional Victoria already attracts thousands of visitors a year to ride amazing roads, tracks and trails. The Commonwealth Games are an ideal opportunity to showcase Victorian riding destinations to a new domestic and international audience.”

Fechner said the emergence of stars such as Jai Hindley in road racing, Rebecca McConnell in cross-country mountain bike and Logan Martin in BMX freestyle were already inspiring a new generation of athletes who could potentially represent Australia in Victoria in 2026, at the Paris Olympics in 2024 and ultimately a home Olympics in 2032.

“We are working hard to establish pathways from cycling and riding clubs to international podiums, and having a runway of world-class competitions is crucial,” Fechner said.

When will the Games be held? Is this going to affect any other major sporting events like the F1?

The dates for Victoria 2026 are 17-29 March 2026. We will continue to collaborate with major events identified on the impacts the Commonwealth Games may have on their planning for 2026.

I want to purchase tickets for Victoria 2026, when will the timetable be released, I need to book accommodation.

The timetable for Victoria 2026 has yet to be released.

I live in regional Victoria, will there be any events in my town?

Now that the Games have been announced, we are exploring opportunities for regional areas outside for the four regional hubs to be part of Victoria 2026. We will be finalising this over the coming months.

Will there be a school programme for Victoria 2026?

We will release information on how Victoria 2026 will be engaging with schools on our website when further details become available. This will also be promoted through local media and our social media channels.

I want to work on the Victoria 2026 Commonwealth Games. What roles are available and how do I apply?

We appreciate all of the interest we have had in wanting to be part of the team organising Victoria 2026. However, it is best to apply for specific, advertised roles as opposed to sending a speculative email with your CV.

What a horrible time period to host the games. The Winter Olympics/Paralympics finish two days before, and there will be "event fatigue" when these games roll around. Guaranteed no CBC at these games either, shame really.

19 hours ago, TorchbearerSydney said:

Q: There's a lot that needs to happen and much could go wrong if they fall short on any of their time lines

Agreed- the one thing they do have of course is back up plan B (venues in Melbourne) basically for every sport. And I think that is a reasonable outcome if that occurs for a couple of sports because of the tight timeframe.

There's not that great of a deal to be done. Essentially there are only four permanent venues that need to be constructed: Mars Stadium enlarged and an athletics track installed, an athletics training track, the Geelong Indoor Sports Stadium and a velodrome. All other venues exist, and it's  just the outdoor venues that will mostly need temporary stands and a spruce up. The main work will be in the construction of the four villages.

Ballarat is probably getting the most actual permanent construction with the construction of a village for 1800 athletes and officials, the redevelopment of the entire Eureka Sports precinct which will include new parking, a plaza linking the various sports fields and two main stadium's, expansion of Mars Stadium, the upgrading of the Midland Highway and a likely new train station. I expect that by this time next year the entire precinct will be a construction zone.

Nobody seems to be panicked about it, nor are they underestimating the work that needs to be done. Three years and eight months is a tight time line but Melbourne prepared for the 56 Olympics completing a similar scale of construction work and did it in two years.

The government aren't going to go big on any announcements at least this side of the Birmingham games. I reckon that announcements will come thick and fast around November once all of the key decision makers and their staff are in place, Council's have completed their Master Plans for their sports zones, and the organisers can fully scope the works proposed and allocate moneys to the infrastructure projects.

1 hour ago, 2018 said:

What a horrible time period to host the games. The Winter Olympics/Paralympics finish two days before, and there will be "event fatigue" when these games roll around. Guaranteed no CBC at these games either, shame really.

The dates are virtually identical to the 2006 Commonwealth Games. The alternative is to hold them late in the year when Victoria's weather is far more unstable and unpredictable. If you consider that the 1956 Olympic Games were held late November into early December and it virtually rained every day that Spring right up to the day of the opening ceremony.  March is definitely the best time of the year for this part of the world. We don't know what 2026 will deliver unto us weather wise, by that time the La Nina weather cycle will have broken up and we could be in the grips of an El Nino drought.

4 hours ago, Victorian said:

Expression of interests for sports wanting to be included in the 2026 programme have opened today and sports/international federations have until August 19 to do so

Well there's India's opening to pitch for wrestling, archery and shooting. I imagine that Rowing Australia will put in a strong pitch and of course track cycling will most likely get a Guernsey.

Regarding the Opening, I would have thought Marvel Stadium may have been considered- 55,000 AND indoors.

And the Opening Ceremony in Melbourne makes the most sense- the most number of seats, accommodation for visitors, bigger pool of volunteers and performers, hub of transport across the state. Also enough accommodation for all athletes and officials before they head out tot the regions.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 2018 said:

I disagree. The Games in Melbourne can't be hosted any later i.e. in April like Gold Coast due to the AFL season commencing which limits access to venues but also focus on the games. The next earliest stage of the year would be in October when the Men's AFL season has finished however AFLW, WBBL, Domestic cricket would have commenced. March weather is much nicer than October. The 2006 Melbourne Commonwealth Games were hosted 15 Mar 2006 – 26 Mar 2006 so it is pretty much the same time of year.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TorchbearerSydney said:

Regarding the Opening, I would have thought Marvel Stadium may have been considered- 55,000 AND indoors.

And the Opening Ceremony in Melbourne makes the most sense- the most number of seats, accommodation for visitors, bigger pool of volunteers and performers, hub of transport across the state. Also enough accommodation for all athletes and officials before they head out tot the regions.

I think they need to have it at the stadium that holds the most people and that is the MCG. Whilst a regional venue would have been more ideal, there are not stadiums capable of hosting 100,000 people like the MCG can. The idea is that everyone can gather together in one central location i.e. Melbourne before going off to their different zones/locations for competition.

14 hours ago, Victorian said:

On a side note, do the governments usually run the games? It seems like this games is very much Victorian government run. In the past I thought the games were government supported, funded but ran by an independent games organisation? Even the government appointed one of their own as CEO. 

It's perfectly normal. All Olympic and Commonweath Games in Australia have been the same. The Government appoint their Organising Committee and once they start to get their team together you will see the Committee CEO taking the lead and the Committee making the big decisions. Remember for 2006 it was Premier Jeff Kennet in 1998 who Appointed his close friend Ron Walker to head the bid and subsequently organise the games.

This one is only different because there was no biddng or organising committee at the outset because of the short notice. They've had to be appointed after the state being announced as host.

• Like 1