Jump to content

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Victorian said:

What could the mascot be?

I am thinking maybe a sheep or cow to represent regional Vic?

Awww come on, what have you got against this little guy? :)  It's our highly endangered State emblem - the humble Leadbeater Possum. They'd make cute toys for the kids and look great cartoonised on merchandise. A percentage of sales of all merch could go toward conservation and breeding programs. 

ANI069-00018.jpg

19de09d796ff3d4cd1d3e1d3ad5f1a6d?width=1

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Well we don't know if shooting, archery and wrestling will be announced later this year? They've so far named 16 of a proposed 22 sports programme. I would be surprised if shooting and archery were dropped because they are the oldest sports at the Comm Games. 

In interesting fact while I go all Sheldon Cooper on you all. The Comm Games started with an original sports programme that encompassed skills needed to defend the Empire. Running, swimming, shooting, boxing, archery and wrestling were considered essential skills of a soldier at the time and formed the core of the Empire Games sports programme. Just a little fact that I recalled learning back in 2006. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, RooBlu said:

Awww come on, what have you got against this little guy? :)  It's our highly endangered State emblem - the humble Leadbeater Possum. They'd make cute toys for the kids and look great cartoonised on merchandise. A percentage of sales of all merch could go toward conservation and breeding programs. 

ANI069-00018.jpg

19de09d796ff3d4cd1d3e1d3ad5f1a6d?width=1

What is the bet that they call it Vic or Victor? Have a male and a female- Victor and Vicky?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Victorian said:

Sorry but they should actually look at themselves in the mirror and ask why they aren’t hosting. The next games will be 40 years since NZ last hosted a Commonwealth Games…

Absolutely.   I think NZ hosting would actually revitalise the games in a way yet another games in Australia can never achieve.   Problem is somebody has to pay for it.

17 hours ago, Victorian said:

I don't know if cricket has any Olympic ambitions but if they do this is the best place to showcase the sport.  The difficulty though I think is with it already being predominantly a Commonwealth sport the ICC effectively gifting an international event to the games in what is already an overcrowded international schedule is not something that makes much financial sense.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If New Zealand wanted to help sport in Oceania, they could have been more useful than just "let the Aussies do it instead". Any of the big three Kiwi cities would've had these Games on a silver platter if they'd even looked like thinking about putting their hand up ffs :ph34r:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Victorian said:

 

 

You know what they say, "He who expects little in life is seldom disappointed". What ever the Federal Government contribute (if the 2006 Games are anything to go by) will come with unrealistic strings attached and unachievable conditions. :rolleyes:

I think that we just let the Commonwealth contribute to the supplementation of security arrangements by the provision of military clearance team personnel, trucks, drivers and helicopters.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, yoshi said:

If New Zealand wanted to help sport in Oceania, they could have been more useful than just "let the Aussies do it instead". Any of the big three Kiwi cities would've had these Games on a silver platter if they'd even looked like thinking about putting their hand up ffs :ph34r:

New Zealand is bidding with Australia to co-host the 2027 Rugby World Cup. Also the way that the Comm Games had increased in scale and cost since Melbourne in 2006 was pricing potential hosts out of the market. Consider that the Western Australian government thought that the Games were too expensive, even with all of their revenue. One would have thought that Adelaide would have snapped it up, but after doing the sums the SA government rejected it. 

The 2026 Games in regional Victoria will act a complete circuit breaker to the increasing Olympian scale of the Comm Games and bring them back to an aspirational level for smaller countries and regions. I would anticipate that a future NZ Games would be held on either the North or the South Island with stadiums and events spread around in different cities.

Many Australian's don't appreciate the fact NZ has a very different view of its place in the world. They see themselves as a regionally focussed nation with their politics and foreign policy focussed primarily with Australia, the wider South Pacific, and down to the Antarctic region. Their only significant defence alliance is with Australia although they share intelligence under the Five-Eyes agreement (Australia, Canada, UK, USA and NZ). Where as Australia does have a world focussed view where it actively engages globally on matters of immigration, trade, defence, sport, military exercises and alliances.

Australia actively seeks to punch above its weight globally in all pursuits where as NZ is happier playing a more passive role. They are happy in their skin as a nation and don't seek international validation, but work quietly to influence what they can in the Pacific.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The 2027 World Cup bid was originally touted to be a joint NSW, QLD, NZ bid and not proposed to include any of the AFL states. Perhaps COVID spooked the horses, I'll assume on your update that something has obviously changed. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, RooBlu said:

The 2027 World Cup bid was originally touted to be a joint NSW, QLD, NZ bid and not proposed to include any of the AFL states. Perhaps COVID spooked the horses, I'll assume on your update that something has obviously changed. 

No, there was never any plan to bid with NZ for 2027. The ARU and NZRU have been doing their own things since NZ got pitched out of co-hosting 2003.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I managed to get a very high definition image of the Geelong Aquatics Centre. Sometimes you get images of stadiums and venues from real estate listings where properties go up for sale near the stadiums. Just click on the image below to see the enlarged and detailed version.

spacer.png

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, RooBlu said:

I managed to get a very high definition image of the Geelong Aquatics Centre. Sometimes you get images of stadiums and venues from real estate listings where properties go up for sale near the stadiums. Just click on the image below to see the enlarged and detailed version.

spacer.png

I assume there will be a complete rebuild and redevelopment of the Kardinia Aquatics Centre 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/13/2022 at 2:26 PM, Victorian said:

What is the bet that they call it Vic or Victor? Have a male and a female- Victor and Vicky?

by 2026 it will be a non binary gender neutral mascot so no one is offended. Why not an endangered frog or butterfly? but seriously the Bandicoot is very cute.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Hobart said:

by 2026 it will be a non binary gender neutral mascot so no one is offended. Why not an endangered frog or butterfly? but seriously the Bandicoot is very cute.

We could go a 3 foot long Gippsland earthworm. They really do have no specific male or female gender ... :)

There I solved it. Nobody could possibly be offended by that. :wacko:

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Sir Rols changed the title to Victoria 2026 - Commonwealth Games

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...