4 minutes ago, Victorian said:

MCG could host cricket if the men’s competition is included. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/cricket/article-10711365/Victoria-pushing-mens-T20-tournament-staged-Commonwealth-Games.html

Archery, Basketball, Esports, Shooting, Track Cycling, Marathon, Mountain Biking, BMX, Rowing, Judo, Wrestling all could still be added

T20 Cricket in the 2026 Victoria CW Games was announced yesterday and is being hosted in Ballarat, Bendigo, Geelong and Gippsland, Bendigo.

Yes, will be interesting to see what other sports are added between now and the end of this year.

Track Cycling is a mystery, but as you said, maybe Regional Victoria may be about to get a Velodrome?

3 minutes ago, AustralianFan said:

T20 Cricket in the 2026 Victoria CW Games was announced yesterday and is being hosted in Ballarat, Bendigo, Geelong and Gippsland, Bendigo.

Yes, will be interesting to see what other sports are added between now and the end of this year.

Track Cycling is a mystery, but as you said, maybe Regional Victoria may be about to get a Velodrome?

If they are getting a velodrome they better get cracking. Less than 4 years to go. 

42 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Sorry but they should actually look at themselves in the mirror and ask why they aren’t hosting. The next games will be 40 years since NZ last hosted a Commonwealth Games…

Yes, Auckland hosted fantastic Games in 1990.  I remember watching it on tv, Mount Smart Stadium, Dame Kiri Te Kanawa performing at the Opening Ceremony.

6 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Ways I am hoping to be involved

- Queens Baton Relay baton-bearer

- Volunteer

- Apply to work for VIC26

- Attend the Opening Ceremony

- Attend each cluster during the games

Fantastic.      Yes, volunteering at the Games is such a fun and rewarding experience.

I hope you can get to volunteer at the MCG for the Opening Ceremony.

Given what we know, we can assume some of the stadia

Aquatics at a redeveloped Kardinia Aquatics Centre

637354389886830687_570x400.jpg

Athletics at a redeveloped Mars Stadium

Mars-Stadium.jpg

Badminton at Gippsland Regional Indoor Sports Stadium, Traralgon (GIPPSLAND)

basketball_webres_jpeg_-10-scaled.jpeg

Boxing at Ballarat Sports Events Centre

ballarat-sports-events-centre-2.jpg

Beach Volleyball and Triathlon at a temporary arena at Eastern Beach, Geelong

Eastern-Beach-Reserve.jpg

Cricket at 

GHMBA Stadium, Geelong (potentially cricket finals)

GMHBA-Stadium.jpg

Ted Summerton Reserve, Moe (GIPSSLAND)

E-lTv1XUUAQ5-sf?format=jpg&name=large

Eastern Oval, Ballarat

Ballarat-Eastern-Oval-aerial21.jpg

Queen Elizabeth Oval, Bendigo

queen-elizabeth-oval.jpg

Gymnastics at a hopefully redeveloped Geelong Arena

geelong-arena-2.jpg

Hockey at a redeveloped Stead Park, Geelong

Stead_Park_Geelong_02.jpg

Netball at Bendigo Stadium

bendigo-stadium-show.jpg?w=1200&h=-1&s=1

Rugby Sevens at a redeveloped Latrobe City Stadium, Morwell (GIPPSLAND)

latrobe-stadium-1.jpg

A few different options for Lawn Bowls in Bendigo

Squash in Bendigo, Table Tennis in Geelong and Weightlifting in Bendigo could all be held in new stadia as well.

Road cycling or time trial along a road from Gippsland to Bendigo

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, AustralianFan said:

The MCG is very happy 

Jeezus, I expect to see a big kick-ass cheesy grin on the Southern Stand extending from light-tower 3 to light-tower 4 when I go to the footy this weekend, otherwise I will assume that you were exaggerating the MCG's personal level of excitement :D

DJI_0581-HDR-5_1024x1024.jpg?v=160309743

2 minutes ago, ulu said:

I don't think I've ever even heard it before.

Honestly I don't think that I have heard anybody use that expression in about 40 years. I was with a group of mates recently and we talked about a few other Aussie expressions that have died over the years such as "True dinks" which was a shortened version of "Fair dinkum". Also we don't hear people these days telling other people to "Nicky whoop", which meant "why don't you nick off! Preferably to whoop whoop". It's much politer than telling somebody to "F-off" isn't it? We don't hear the expression "Donkey root" anymore which meant to light your cigarette off another lit cigarette. Then there's "Buckleys" which was a shortened form of "Buckleys and none", a Victorian expression taken from a long-gone department store in Bourke Street called Buckleys and Nunn. Buckleys and Nunn were situated next to Myer which was much bigger and always had bigger, better and flashier window displays. The term "Buckleys and none" in Melbourne effectively meant that one had "no chance" or "no show".

I could go on, but for now I'll just content myself with "Cock-a-hoop":)

22 hours ago, Australian Kiwi said:

"The 1956 Olympic Games is estimated to have attracted 1.153 million people." 
lol-what? 

The Herald Sun truly is nonsensical garbage. 

It seems that both you and I were close with our figures and that the HS only quoted total attendance at the MCG (including the athletics program, soccer, an Aussie Rules exhibition game and the Opening and Closing ceremonies). The Melbourne 1956 Official Report (Available on the following link: Official Report of the Organizing Committee for the Games of the XVI Olympiad, Melbourne, 1956 - Olympic Official Reports Collection - LA84 Digital Library ) details day by day, venue by venue from pages 115-120 the total ticket sales which were 1,341,483 valued at 1,205,415 Pounds, 1 Shilling and 4 Pence. Of course there were perhaps hundreds of thousands additional unpaying spectators at cycling road races, walking events and the marathon. So yes the number of Games spectators was likely to be close to around 1.6-1.7 million.

The official report is over 700 pages of scintillating reading in that it goes down to every single imaginable detail about who made curtains for the ladies houses in the village. Where furniture came from. Soft drink companies that donated free soft drink at the village. There's absolutely nothing that anybody could ask about the Melbourne Olympics that isn't answered in that report. :rolleyes:

ROADMAP TO THE 2026 COMMONWEALTH GAMES

14th April 2017- Greater Victoria 2030 Commonwealth Games bid is established by local councils headed by the Greater Shepparton Council with events also spread around the state in Bendigo, Ballarat, Geelong, Nagambie, Traralgon, Warrnambool, Wodonga and Yarrawonga.

13th February 2021- Reports that the Greater Victoria 2030 Commonwealth Games bid has been put on hold due to the coronavirus pandemic.

19th January 2022- Reports that Victoria may be considering a bid for the 2026 Commonwealth Games.

15th February 2022- CGF enters exclusive dialogue with Victoria about staging the 2026 Commonwealth Games taking inspiration from the Greater Victoria 2030 proposal.

21st February 2022- CGF CEO, Katie Sadleir visits Victoria for two weeks of discussions with the Victorian Government and Commonwealth Games Australia

22nd February 2022- Andrew Abbott appointed to lead the Victoria 2026 Commonwealth Games submission.

15th March 2022- Victoria 2026 delegation of Martin Pakula, Linda Dessau, Ben Houston and Craig Phillips visit Birmingham, England to meet with the CGF Executive Board to outline their vision for the 2026 Commonwealth Games.

12th April 2022- Victoria is awarded the 2026 Commonwealth Games with the announcement held at Eureka Stadium, Ballarat.