2 hours ago, Victorian said:

Thank you for sharing, however there's no point posting links to newspaper articles which are blocked from view to non-subscribers. Could I respectfully ask that if you wish to refer to a newspaper story, that you copy and paste the text from the article and directly transfer it into your post here? I subscribe to the Ballarat Courier, so any articles that appear in there specific to the Games I will endeavour to share directly with readers of this forum.

Cheers.

11 hours ago, RooBlu said:

Thank you for sharing, however there's no point posting links to newspaper articles which are blocked from view to non-subscribers. Could I respectfully ask that if you wish to refer to a newspaper story, that you copy and paste the text from the article and directly transfer it into your post here? I subscribe to the Ballarat Courier, so any articles that appear in there specific to the Games I will endeavour to share directly with readers of this forum.

Cheers.

Sorry but I cannot do that as I do not subscribe to that paper. I refuse to contribute to deepening Murdoch's pockets..

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Victorian said:

Sorry but I cannot do that as I do not subscribe to that paper. I refuse to contribute to deepening Murdoch's pockets..

No drama it's all good. As long as you are know that all The Australian and Herald-Sun news stories that get headlined on the internet are viewable in detail only to people who subscribe to the online digital daily editions. Otherwise the rest of us Luddites have to hot foot down the local newsagent and purchase a hard copy :)

From the Ballarat Courier earlier this week:

Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games Queen's Baton Relay comes to Ballarat four years out from a potential regional Victorian games

By Jackson Russell.

r0_0_4500_2990_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Steve Moneghetti with the Queen's Baton and local athletes Indy and Cooper. Picture: Adam Trafford

With the 2022 Commonwealth Games in Birmingham less than 130 days from opening, the Queen's Baton Relay made its way to Ballarat on Sunday morning. Commonwealth Games gold medallist and Ballarat athletics icon Steve Moneghetti, along with young athletes from local athletics clubs, received the baton at Lake Wendouree with one eye on Birmingham and one on a potential Commonwealth Games in Ballarat and regional Victoria in four years' time. Ballarat is part of a bid to have the 2026 Commonwealth Games held in Victoria and spread across multiple locations in regional Victoria, with Ballarat earmarked to host the athletics events at Mars Stadium.

Mr Moneghetti said it was terrific to have the baton in town to inspire young athletes who could potentially compete in their own backyard in 2026.

"It's terrific to have it here and just to spread the message across the Commonwealth. We had some young people there who hopefully are inspired and see the baton and understand what the significance of the Commonwealth Games is to Ballarat and regional Victoria," he said.

"Obviously it's my sport of athletics and we're not sure, but hopefully to have the athletics here, it would be terrific. Ballarat's got a great athletic history as well, so it'd be really well supported, it'd be fantastic for the town and the region to have it here and hopefully we can get a packed stadium and lots of good stories and great athletes being watched by a pretty excited crowd."

Mr Moneghetti said having the Queen's Baton Relay in Ballarat would help make the Commonwealth Games a realistic goal for young athletes.

"You think you can watch the Birmingham Commonwealth Games in 130 days and, maybe in four years' time, the actual games are here and some of those younger people might be in the team then and if not then, they're inspired and then that golden runway to [the Olympics in] Brisbane in 2032. It's just an exciting time for Australian sport right now," he said.

"I was telling the story about the Queen's message being in there and how it's travelling around the Commonwealth and it'll be read out at the Commonwealth Games opening ceremony. Just that message, getting that through the younger people and they suddenly see it's real. I think there's a nice link for an athlete, if they're young, it makes it real for them and then again, maybe in four years' time, they can participate and be inspired to compete here in regional Victoria."

1 hour ago, RooBlu said:

From the Ballarat Courier earlier this week:

Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games Queen's Baton Relay comes to Ballarat four years out from a potential regional Victorian games

By Jackson Russell.

r0_0_4500_2990_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Steve Moneghetti with the Queen's Baton and local athletes Indy and Cooper. Picture: Adam Trafford

With the 2022 Commonwealth Games in Birmingham less than 130 days from opening, the Queen's Baton Relay made its way to Ballarat on Sunday morning. Commonwealth Games gold medallist and Ballarat athletics icon Steve Moneghetti, along with young athletes from local athletics clubs, received the baton at Lake Wendouree with one eye on Birmingham and one on a potential Commonwealth Games in Ballarat and regional Victoria in four years' time. Ballarat is part of a bid to have the 2026 Commonwealth Games held in Victoria and spread across multiple locations in regional Victoria, with Ballarat earmarked to host the athletics events at Mars Stadium.

Mr Moneghetti said it was terrific to have the baton in town to inspire young athletes who could potentially compete in their own backyard in 2026.

"It's terrific to have it here and just to spread the message across the Commonwealth. We had some young people there who hopefully are inspired and see the baton and understand what the significance of the Commonwealth Games is to Ballarat and regional Victoria," he said.

"Obviously it's my sport of athletics and we're not sure, but hopefully to have the athletics here, it would be terrific. Ballarat's got a great athletic history as well, so it'd be really well supported, it'd be fantastic for the town and the region to have it here and hopefully we can get a packed stadium and lots of good stories and great athletes being watched by a pretty excited crowd."

Mr Moneghetti said having the Queen's Baton Relay in Ballarat would help make the Commonwealth Games a realistic goal for young athletes.

"You think you can watch the Birmingham Commonwealth Games in 130 days and, maybe in four years' time, the actual games are here and some of those younger people might be in the team then and if not then, they're inspired and then that golden runway to [the Olympics in] Brisbane in 2032. It's just an exciting time for Australian sport right now," he said.

"I was telling the story about the Queen's message being in there and how it's travelling around the Commonwealth and it'll be read out at the Commonwealth Games opening ceremony. Just that message, getting that through the younger people and they suddenly see it's real. I think there's a nice link for an athlete, if they're young, it makes it real for them and then again, maybe in four years' time, they can participate and be inspired to compete here in regional Victoria."

Is Rowing as an optional Commonwealth Games sport about to a make a comeback in 2026 if Victoria is confirmed as host for thosecGames?

Lake Wendouree at Ballarat has been mentioned a few times lately including the photo in the above Queens Baton Relay story.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, AustralianFan said:

Is Rowing as an optional Commonwealth Games sport about to a make a comeback in 2026 if Victoria is confirmed as host for those Games?  Lake Wendouree at Ballarat has been mentioned a few times lately including the photo in the above Queens Baton Relay story.

Rowing was last conducted at a Comm Games in 1986. Rowing has been speculated on as a possible sport for the 2026 Games, but from what I have seen in reports it is likely that Warrnambool or Nagambie are in the mix for that.

265_aerial.jpg

Warrnambool

I imagine that Nagambie would be the preferred site as it is the only course that fully meets international standards. Nagambie also conveniently sits about 130km North of Melbourne and about 65km South of Shepparton off to the edge of the Goulburn Valley freeway. If games events are staged in Shepparton then it is likely that Nagambie would be chosen for rowing (if rowing is to be one of the sports). Of course Nagambie sits in one of Victoria's productive wine regions and has a resort like vibe to the township.

w1600-h1200-w1626-h1080-1982_15_dp_16121

Lake Nagambie

Lake Wendouree is in some parts of its course as shallow as 6 feet. The international standard is that they want 9 feet. Lake Wendouree got a dispensation during the 1956 Olympics because at the time there were absolutely no other courses available in Victoria that were in comfortable travelling distance from Melbourne. However Lake Wendouree is still used to host major National and State events like the Masters Rowing Regatta, The Kings Cup, as well as various Schools Regattas. Lake Wendouree has had a lot of improvements made around the spectator area and start and finishing points.

r0_76_4247_2828_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Lake Wendouree

I guess we will have to wait a few weeks until the formal announcements are made to confirm Victoria as the host, the sports that will form the competition, and the venue locations.

• Like 1

Yes! Simply the announcement will need to be made very soon because there is much planning and tendering for construction and other preparations that will need to get underway almost immediately that the formal announcement takes place. The government will have to line up a lot of Ducks to ensure that housing to accommodate athletes is constructed near the venue locations on time. Also if they are to do major re-construction at Mars Stadium then they need to start the design, public consultation and approval process, final design approval and tendering for construction. This will take at least two years and then they need to allow another 12-18 months for construction.

Also there are preparations that must be made for the handover ceremony at the Closing Ceremony in Birmingham that must occur whereby Victoria may be required to put on some sort of artistic show. You don't just improvise those things and there are roughly about 130 days until the Closing Ceremony for the 2022 Games to coordinate that.

Although if were to listen to this guy (Below) in today's Ballarat Courier then we should just blow the dust off the Melbourne 2006 Games and wheel out Delta Goodrem and she could just re-run here number for the 2006 Comm Games ... Hey if it worked in the past then just do it again, there's nothing boring about that. Heavens, Sydney ran "The Best Games Ever", so why on Earth are we holding the 2032 Games in Brisbane? If we listen to gentleman below, then the Olympic Games should just naturally come back to Sydney every time Australia hosts them.

From today's Ballarat Courier Letters to the Editor:

HAVE YOUR SAY BELOW.

For the 2026 Commonwealth Games, it has been proposed for it to be a Regional Victoria-focused event. With no disrespect to regional Victoria but for costs and logistical reasons, the 2026 Commonwealth Games should be a Melbourne-focused event and using the same sporting facilities and public transport infrastructure that were used for the 2006 event.

Regional Victoria could host the basketball, netball, T20 cricket and Rugby 7s preliminaries which Ballarat can be a part of. If Ballarat would like to host a major international athletics event at Mars Stadium, why not put in a bid to host the 2025 World Athletics Championships?

The World Athletics Championships will attract a large contingent of Australian and international athletes to take part and it will be televised across the world. This event will also attract fans of athletics around Australia and the world.

If Ballarat is interested in hosting the 2025 World Athletics Championships, why not approach the Victorian government and Visit Victoria about the concept?

Malcolm Webster, Boronia.

19 hours ago, RooBlu said:

Yes! Simply the announcement will need to be made very soon because there is much planning and tendering for construction and other preparations that will need to get underway almost immediately that the formal announcement takes place. The government will have to line up a lot of Ducks to ensure that housing to accommodate athletes is constructed near the venue locations on time. Also if they are to do major re-construction at Mars Stadium then they need to start the design, public consultation and approval process, final design approval and tendering for construction. This will take at least two years and then they need to allow another 12-18 months for construction.

Also there are preparations that must be made for the handover ceremony at the Closing Ceremony in Birmingham that must occur whereby Victoria may be required to put on some sort of artistic show. You don't just improvise those things and there are roughly about 130 days until the Closing Ceremony for the 2022 Games to coordinate that.

Although if were to listen to this guy (Below) in today's Ballarat Courier then we should just blow the dust off the Melbourne 2006 Games and wheel out Delta Goodrem and she could just re-run here number for the 2006 Comm Games ... Hey if it worked in the past then just do it again, there's nothing boring about that. Heavens, Sydney ran "The Best Games Ever", so why on Earth are we holding the 2032 Games in Brisbane? If we listen to gentleman below, then the Olympic Games should just naturally come back to Sydney every time Australia hosts them.

HAVE YOUR SAY BELOW.

For the 2026 Commonwealth Games, it has been proposed for it to be a Regional Victoria-focused event. With no disrespect to regional Victoria but for costs and logistical reasons, the 2026 Commonwealth Games should be a Melbourne-focused event and using the same sporting facilities and public transport infrastructure that were used for the 2006 event.

Regional Victoria could host the basketball, netball, T20 cricket and Rugby 7s preliminaries which Ballarat can be a part of. If Ballarat would like to host a major international athletics event at Mars Stadium, why not put in a bid to host the 2025 World Athletics Championships?

The World Athletics Championships will attract a large contingent of Australian and international athletes to take part and it will be televised across the world. This event will also attract fans of athletics around Australia and the world.

If Ballarat is interested in hosting the 2025 World Athletics Championships, why not approach the Victorian government and Visit Victoria about the concept?

I don't know if Victoria could bid for the 2025 World Athletics Championship. I know Nairobi (Kenya), Singapore and Tokyo (Japan) are in the running to host.

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, SportLightning said:

I don't know if Victoria could bid for the 2025 World Athletics Championship. I know Nairobi (Kenya), Singapore and Tokyo (Japan) are in the running to host.

You are quite right. In relation to thr letter {above} extracted from the Ballarat Courier, the author {a Mr Edwards} Despite opening disclaimer is being very patronising and actually disrespectful in his letter. He says in his opening paragraph that only Melbourne is suitable and he subsequently tells one city in regional Victoria {Ballarat} that it's overreaching, and should think about something else. As I said in my previous post, if we just took the Comm Games or the Olympics for that matter to the cities that have legacy facilities in place having sucessfully staged them before then the Comm Games would permanently bounce between only a hand full of cities globally and the Olympics would be permanently rotated between London, Sydney and Beijing. 

Sometimes you have to give other people a go at demonstrating what they can do. I imagine that if given the nod in few weeks time to host the games that there will be some surprises and disappointment for some cities or centres who may be left out. But it will all be revealed soon enough. :)

On 3/29/2022 at 12:41 PM, RooBlu said:

You are quite right. In relation to thr letter {above} extracted from the Ballarat Courier, the author {a Mr Edwards} Despite opening disclaimer is being very patronising and actually disrespectful in his letter. He says in his opening paragraph that only Melbourne is suitable and he subsequently tells one city in regional Victoria {Ballarat} that it's overreaching, and should think about something else. As I said in my previous post, if we just took the Comm Games or the Olympics for that matter to the cities that have legacy facilities in place having sucessfully staged them before then the Comm Games would permanently bounce between only a hand full of cities globally and the Olympics would be permanently rotated between London, Sydney and Beijing. 

Sometimes you have to give other people a go at demonstrating what they can do. I imagine that if given the nod in few weeks time to host the games that there will be some surprises and disappointment for some cities or centres who may be left out. But it will all be revealed soon enough. :)

I still think Nairobi is possible for 2025 World Athletics Championships. It would be the first time to be held in Africa.

• Like 1

On 3/29/2022 at 10:06 AM, RooBlu said:

HAVE YOUR SAY BELOW.

That chestnut in green above MW is literally Melbourne obsessed I have to say.

Everyone is entitled to their opnion but he’s like the tail trying to wag the dog about the 2026 Commonwealth Games and wants most of it to occur in Melbourne, quite the opposite of the whole point of the Regional-led approach.

Check out the comments section of the various “Inside The Games” articles on Victoria 2026 where his Melbourne-centric wind-the-clock-back-to-2006 approach is on full display:

Victoria present formal bid to host 2026 Commonwealth Games and reveal up to 22 sports could feature - 15 March 2022 - Inside The Games

MW was exactly the same, Melbourne-obsessed during the lead-up to the Brisbane Olympics vote and actively campaigning and complaining that Melbourne should have been be the 2032 Olympic Host in several Inside The Games articles:

IOC rubber-stamps Brisbane as host of 2032 Olympics and Paralympics - 21 July 2021 - Inside The Games

3 hours ago, AustralianFan said:

MW was exactly the same, Melbourne-obsessed during the lead-up to the Brisbane Olympics vote and actively campaigning and complaining that Melbourne should have been be the 2032 Olympic Host in several Inside The Games articles:

IOC rubber-stamps Brisbane as host of 2032 Olympics and Paralympics - 21 July 2021 - Inside The Games

:rolleyes: If Mr Webster was true to his convictions of awarding these events to the most competent and best equipped cities, then the 2032 Games would have to be awarded to Sydney because they hosted "The Best Games Ever" where as Melbourne in 1956 was merely rated as "The Friendliest Games Ever". Also Sydney has more modern Olympic standard venues than Melbourne, so I'd have to break Mr Webster's heart in declaring Sydney the winner over Melbourne (based upon his reckoning). :)

• Like 1

On 4/1/2022 at 9:52 AM, RooBlu said:

:rolleyes: If Mr Webster was true to his convictions of awarding these events to the most competent and best equipped cities, then the 2032 Games would have to be awarded to Sydney because they hosted "The Best Games Ever" where as Melbourne in 1956 was merely rated as "The Friendliest Games Ever". Also Sydney has more modern Olympic standard venues than Melbourne, so I'd have to break Mr Webster's heart in declaring Sydney the winner over Melbourne (based upon his reckoning). :)

While I think there is nothing more boring than a Sydney-Melbourne pissing contest, I can't help but challenge some of this where you are really making stuff up.

Firstly - Sydney as 'the Best Ever' was the opinion of one man who bestowed it upon host cities within his tenure (exception Atlanta). Rogge and Bach did not continue this tradition which started in 1984. Simply put its highly subjective and puts down the efforts of previous hosts. That being said Sydney 2000 was (in my opinion) one the most well organised and impactful Olympic Games of recent decades. Melbourne 1956 was never declared or "rated" as 'the Friendliest ever' - it was known as 'the Friendly Games'. 

Lastly it is a very big stretch to suggest that Sydney has "more modern, Olympic standard" venues than Melbourne. I would argue that they are probably about even - which is more a feather in Melbourne's cap given it did not host only 22 years ago. And (in my opinion) Melbourne's Olympic Park and MCG precinct is one of the most sporting precincts in the world - in terms of its sheer size and capability (its effortlessly centralised in a way that countless other cities can only dream of in their Olympic bids). The MCG's upcoming rebuild will only cement this. 

32c2a7d79ae2fca8737cb533765153e8?width=7

4634fe266b2cd3d936eeb04868297045

MOP-Precinct-Tile-1300x730-1.jpg

I’m a born and bred Sydneysider, in love with my city and proud of the Olympics we put on. But “best games” is totally subjective and inevitably going to be diluted by the march of time (who now remembers that Rome 1960 was by many accounts hailed the “best” and most glamorous of its time?). Nevertheless, I do think Sydney staged a highly successful and enjoyable games.

On a head-to-head comparison of venues/facilities, there’s possibly a few points where Sydney still has an edge, but overall I’m more than willing to concede that Melbourne has an amazing array of world class and modern facilities, topped by the veritable crown jewel of its CBD-side MCG sporting precinct. Most cities could only dream of such a sporting asset.

PS: I learned very early on this board it’s best to avoid the ld oSydney-Melbourne rivalry. Found it’s best to just stay smugly silent, but still acknowledge Melbourne’s finer points.

Edited by Sir Rols
  • Like 1

And my point is ... that people like Mr Webster who argue that ALL of the major sports and ceremonies linked to the 2026 Comm Games should be primarily staged in Melbourne, and that regional Victoria should only pick up the scraps or perhaps think about hosting some other event, completely miss the point altogether.

We ALL KNOW that Sydney and Melbourne have the "best sporting stadia" in this fair land, and people can argue until they're blue in the face which is better equipped to host a massive sporting event. But it comes back to a simple question of why on Earth Brisbane (which comparitively speaking has no real international standard sporting facilities) was the AOC's nominated Australian city of choice to host the 2032 Olympics and not either Sydney or Melbourne?

It's because sometimes you have to give the other kids a ride on the merry-go-round or to have a go at playing with the train set, so to speak. The 2032 Olympics will leave Brisbane and Queensland with a legacy of first class international sporting facilities. It will play a major role in shifting the centre of gravity of Australian sports away from the Sydney/Melbourne/Canberra (AIS) hub. It's great news considering that prior to the Melbourne Olympics Australia had no propper running tracks and the only olympic sized pools were in the capital cities. After the 56 games cinder running tracks and Olympic standard pools had mushroomed in every major town across the country by the mid 60s.

Considering that in regional Victoria if it is given the go ahead to stage the Comm Games and for argument's sake that Ballarat hosts the athletics, its legacy won't be a 30,000 capacity athletics stadium, but it will have a brand new athletics complex likely situated on the site of its existing dilapdated showgrounds (which would be the warm up track during the games). The 30,000 capacity athletics stadium after the games would become a very modern 20,000 capacity cricket and football facility having been an 11,000 capacity limited use venue prior to being redeveloped for the games. There would also be a new train station nearby as well as a rebuild and widening of the adjacent Midland Highway. Of course 1200 athletes and their support people have to be housed, prompting construction of at least 200 new houses. And that's just in Ballarat. When we consider that similar benefits would prospectively be spread across Geelong, Bendigo, Shepparton and Traralgon then we can only imagine the transformative effect that will be not just felt but will physically change whole precincts of those cities. It's the shot of 'can-do' confidence that it will give to smaller cities and to regions long after the games.

That's why we should spread and share these events beyond one or two capital cities.

6 hours ago, RooBlu said:

But it comes back to a simple question of why on Earth Brisbane (which comparitively speaking has no real international standard sporting facilities) was the AOC's nominated Australian city of choice to host the 2032 Olympics and not either Sydney or Melbourne?

It's because sometimes you have to give the other kids a ride on the merry-go-round or to have a go at playing with the train set, so to speak. 

More to do with the fact that Melbourne and Sydney were lucky to get to host when they did - the IOC now mandate the summer games must be held in July-August, which puts the southern capitals in the “no go” basket from now on because of winter. Brisbane is our only major capital with a warm enough climate to host in the required time frame.

That and John Coates’ influence.

• Like 3

The 2026 Com Games most likely will be held in March, before the AFL starts.

As far as the Olympics go, as Sir Rols said, all the southern Australian capitals, including previous hosts Sydney and Melbourne, are ruled out of hosting an Olympics because, as Sir Rol said, the IOC’s July/August hosting requirement.

This rule believed largely driven by the huge amount of $$ paid by NBC to the IOC’s coffers and who want to influence prime time broadcasting of the Games back in the states. The September Sydney 2000 Games are very likely the last Olympics to be held for many years outside this July/August hosting window.

Brisbane became very attractive because of its ideal athletic performance weather in July/August.

Brisbane was the first Olympic Host, Summer or Winter in history, to be selected and elected under the New Norm Olympic candidature process. The 2030 Winter Host will be the second.

• Thanks 1