Finally, as we know now, there will very likely be a regionally led Commonwealth Games staged in Victoria in 2026 once the bid is confirmed following an exclusive dialogue period between the Victorian Government, Commonwealth Games Australia and the Commonwealth Games Federation

Edited by Sir Rols

On 2/16/2022 at 10:07 AM, munichfan said:

"exclusive dialogue"... somebody has been inspired by Lausanne. Nice to hear these games will survive for at least another cycle.

On 2/16/2022 at 10:12 AM, arwebb said:

Although the prospect of a fourth successive Games (and a sixth in seven) being staged in either the UK or Australia doesn't exactly fill me with joy, I'm more encouraged by the prospect of a Victoria-wide Games than simply going back to Melbourne. A state or region-wide plan seems to me to give the Commonwealth Games more chance of survival in the longer term.

On 2/16/2022 at 10:16 AM, Australian Kiwi said:

On 2026 - great news for Victoria's regional cities more so than Melbourne. However, I'm ambivalent as a resident of the state. It needs to be done minimally - we had our moment in 2006, this time its about helping the CGF, not ourselves...... 

On 2/16/2022 at 10:46 AM, BigVic said:

Handover will be fun to watch. Also kicks off a decade of sports in Australia 

• Confused 1

xxxx

On 2/16/2022 at 10:49 AM, Sir Rols said:

It’s a polite way of telling Tasmania to f*ck off

On 2/16/2022 at 10:51 AM, Victorian said:

Tasmania can host 2034

On 2/16/2022 at 10:51 AM, yoshi said:

What's Mars Stadium?! Geelong I guess. Good to see the Games survive, even if it is a bit boring (Australia again?) but you get to host these things often because you're enthusiastic and good at it. Hopefully that's two games sorted, if Canada comes through to finally break the alternation. Then maybe somewhere else different for 2034, I'd like to see the UK Australia Ashes given a rest for a while - although I'd make an exception for Cardiff. 

On 2/16/2022 at 10:52 AM, Sir Rols said:

No, that’s Scunthorpe’s

• Confused 1

On 2/16/2022 at 10:58 AM, TorchbearerSydney said:

Q: Exclusive dialog?! Just sounds like another "closed, secret, premium enclave" at work here!

Any Commonwealth city could have come forward and grabbed the Games over the last 18 months but no one wanted it.......the process is of no importance in this case, it is just get a signature on a contract before Birmingham!

Commonwealth Federation dodged a bullet getting a white knight like Victoria to sign up. What will the Games be called- Victoria (we have had one of those)? Melbourne? Melbourne/Victoria? mmm

On 2/16/2022 at 11:01 AM, Victorian said:

Will be either Victoria 2026 or Regional Victoria 2026

I really think the gov doesn’t want to have events in Melbourne but might be with no option to do so. 

On 2/16/2022 at 10:58 AM, TorchbearerSydney said:

Any Commonwealth city could have come forward and grabbed the Games over the last 18 months but no one wanted it.......the process is of no importance in this case, it is just get a signature on a contract before Birmingham!

Commonwealth Federation dodged a bullet getting a white knight like Victoria to sign up. What will the Games be called- Victoria (we have had one of those)? Melbourne? Melbourne/Victoria? mmm

On 2/16/2022 at 11:01 AM, Victorian said:

Will be either Victoria 2026 or Regional Victoria 2026

I really think the gov doesn’t want to have events in Melbourne but might be with no option to do so. 

23 hours ago, TorchbearerSydney said:

Q: I really think the gov doesn’t want to have events in Melbourne but might be with no option to do so.

I think that too....which is ironic considering probably has the best array of venues in the World! I suspect a couple, especially cycling will be in Melbourrne.

As for the name, maybe they will go funky like VICAUS2026....there are a lot of Victorias in the Commonwealth!

22 hours ago, Australian Kiwi said:

Yeah its an interesting dilemma - moreso because Victoria, BC put its stamp on the 1994 Games. 

It could be 'Victoria 2026' with branding for each individual host city eg. 'Victoria 2026 - Bendigo' - think EURO 2020.

22 hours ago, Victorian said:

I am expecting multi colour branding with each colour representing a host city i.e. blue for Geelong, yellow for Bendigo, purple for Ballarat, green for Traralgon etc

22 hours ago, Gonzo said:

Despite what Andrews said today, most of the major events will be held in Melbourne. Could you see the Final of the Netball/Basketball being held in Bendigo with it's 4000 seat Stadium or you play it in Melbourne with 10,000+. Money will talk, they will want to squeeze every cent of revenue out of it to try and cover the cost

There is no Aquatic Venue capable of hosting an international event in Geelong, so you either spend tens of millions building one or you just use the existing facility MSAC in Melbourne. Money talks

There is no track cycling velodrome in Regional Victoria capable of hosting the event ... either once again you spend millions building one or use the existing facility in Melbourne

Ditto with Track & Field. Are they really going to spend millions installing a one-off-track in Ballarat Mars Stadium as Andrews suggested (Geelong GHMBA Stadium too narrow for an Athletics track) or just slap up some temporary seating around Lakeside Stadium for a fraction of the cost

Is just a bit of PR spin from a PR spin obsessed government pushing this "Regional" model, the major events will be held in Melbourne and the leftover slops in regional Victoria

Could see the Opening Ceremony being held in Geelong GMHBA, the poor taxpayer has spend millions upon millions on that little stadium the past decade by both parties chasing votes, might as well get some use from our money for a change

I love the idea of Regional Victoria hosting the games and taking it to the country but know the reality that there is only 4 years to go and there are limitations as to what sports can be hosted in the country. Why have an Opening Ceremony in the country when you can have it at the MCG- one of the world's leading sporting stadia.

According to Austadiums.com and some other venues , this is the list of venues in Regional Victoria that could be considered. Lack of Aquatics Centre and indoor velodrome are evident which means those events will most likely be held in Melbourne. Why spend heaps of money on a brand new facility when we have world class stadia in Melbourne? Also, will 4 years be enough to plan and build a new facility? I don't think so.

BALLARAT

Mars Stadium (11,000)

Mars-Stadium-2020.jpg

Ballarat City Oval (10,000)

ballarat-city-oval-aerial.jpg

Ballarat Minordome (2,000)

r0_233_4556_2805_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Ballarat Sports and Events Centre (3,000)

ballarat-sports-events-centre-2.jpg

Eastern Oval (10,000)

Ballarat-Eastern-Oval-aerial21.jpg

Morshead Park Stadium (8,500)

r1283_22_2625_780_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

BENDIGO

Bendigo Stadium (4,000)

bendigo-stadium-basketball.jpg

Queen Elizabeth Oval (10,000)

queen-elizabeth-oval.jpg

SHEPPARTON

Shepparton Sports and Events Centre (Proposed)

maxresdefault.jpg

Shepparton Hockey Grounds (Capacity Unknown)

67730586_2362134594036922_48634013041830

Shepparton BMX Track (Capacity Unknown)

EOsskH2UEAAl0F8?format=jpg&name=large

GEELONG

Kardinia Park (36,000)

GMHBA-Stadium.jpg

Geelong Arena (2,000)

geelong-arena.jpg

Stead Park (Capacity Unknown)

Stead_Park_Geelong_02.jpg

Geelong Convention Centre (Under development- Capacity Unknown)

Geelong-Convention-Centre.jpg

TRARALGON

Gippsland Regional Indoor Sports Stadium (3,000)

gippsland-regional-indoor-sports-stadium

MORWELL

Latrobe City Stadium (12,000)
latrobe-stadium-1.jpg

Morwell Recreation Reserve (10,000)

morwell-recreation-reserve-1.jpg

MOE

Ted Summerton Reserve (7,500)

E-lTv1XUUAQ5-sf?format=jpg&name=large

MILDURA

Mildura Sporting Precinct (5,000) https://www.mildura.vic.gov.au/Council/Major-Projects/Mildura-Sporting-Precinct

mildura-sporting-precinct.jpg

COLAC

Central Reserve (10,000)

central%20reserve%20colac.jpg

WARRNAMBOOL

Reid Oval (5,000)

QFWR8646.jpg?itok=OreiGI-H

WANGARATTA

Norm Minns Oval (11,000)

norm-minns-oval-aerial.jpg

Looking back at past Victorian games, and regional Victoria venues for some ideas of what could be included

1956 Melbourne Olympics- Ballarat: Lake Wendouree (Rowing)

2004 Bendigo Commonwealth Youth Games- Bendigo: Bendigo Aquatic Centre (Bendigo), Bendigo Badminton & Table Tennis Stadium (Badminton), Bendigo Lawn Bowls Club (Lawn bowls), Latrobe University Bendigo Athletics Complex (Athletics), Dragon City Lanes (Ten Pin Bowling), Latrobe University Evolution Sports & Fitness Centre (Weightlifting), Queen Elizabeth Oval (Rugby Sevens), Tom Flood Sports Centre (Track Cycling and Opening Ceremony), Bendigo Schweppes Centre (Gymnastics, Boxing, Closing Ceremony)

2006 Melbourne Commonwealth Games- Ballarat: Ballarat Minordome (Basketball), Bendigo: Bendigo Stadium (Basketball), Wellsford Rifle Range (Shooting), Geelong: Geelong Arena (Basketball), Traralgon: Traralgon Sports Stadium (Basketball)

^ The bulk of those regional football ovals wouldn't be practical. What sports could they support? 

I am highly doubtful we will have the MCG - either as an athletics venue or as a ceremonial venue. I think Geelong's Kardinia Park is the shoo-in, particularly with the upcoming expansion /refurb bringing capacity to 40,000. 

Kardinia_Park_GMHBA_Stadium_2021_aerial.

in_bowl_stage5.jpg

KPSS5-Schematic-Design-Plaza-entrance-re

I think its certain the bulk of events could find a home in Geelong, Ballarat, Bendigo, Shepparton and La Trobe Valley (one for each of the state's five regions). The balance (including aquatics, hockey and gymnastics) would be in Melbourne. 

The ovals could host Cricket and Rugby Sevens?

I really want to see the MCG included but it wouldn't make sense if the idea of the games is pushing Regional Victoria. GMHBA I fear might be too small for the ceremonies though? Transport to the ground is not very good either which could cause troubles. 

Correct, so it would be a games for all Victorians with at a minimum, an event at everyone's 'doorstep'

Regions (according to Regional Development Victoria) and cities that 'could' host

Barwon South West: Geelong, Warrnambool

Gippsland: Traralgon, Morwell, Moe

Grampians: Ballarat

Hume: Shepparton, Wangaratta

Loddon Mallee: Bendigo, Mildura

Melbourne

The MCG was done in 2006. Its literally one of the biggest former Olympic stadiums in the world and its really going to send the wrong message to future potential candidates. Geelong is a city of under 300,000 and with a stadium of 35-40k would send a better message. Kardinia is not too small for ceremonies, and spectators would have no issue (with rail access) however it could be an issue for athletes. Might be an option to stage ceremonies at Marvel Stadium Docklands . I think Kardinia should be the athletics venue, without a doubt. Geelong is a great place and would be a good host for the premium event. 

Cricket- I'd say Mars Stadium in Ballarat would be the obvious choice for that (assuming Geelong gets Track and Field). 

Track Cycling, Hockey, Aquatics are all Melbourne. Possibly Gymnastics too if it can't be accommodated in Geelong or Bendigo.

Although there is rail access close to the stadium, the platform is small and has one line. They should look at expanding or redeveloping the station for the games to create better access? 

Looking back at recent ceremony venues, it has gotten smaller and smaller since Melbourne now reducing by 60,000. This means an extra 60,000 that would like to go to the ceremony (myself included) might not be able to attend as there is only room for 40,000. The idea of having the ceremony at a larger venue is to open it up to more people to attend.

Melbourne Cricket Ground- 100,024

Major Dhyan Chand National Stadium- 60,000

Celtic Park- 60,000

Hampden Park: 46,000

Carrara Stadium- 40,000

Alexander Stadium- 40,000

21 hours ago, Gonzo said:

is too narrow, would have to spend millions demolishing the newly built seating

21 hours ago, Australian Kiwi said:

The line as it currently is supports rail frequencies of 20 minutes, in addition to existing events that occur at Kardinia. Why would the Commonwealth Games be any different? 

If you want to get creative with track & field, could take a leaf out of what LA2028 is going to do and have field events at different venues

Shot Put & Discus don't need to be in a stadium, you can put them on in a city garden park/beach front if you so desire

Sorry not Discus, High/Triple Jump

20 hours ago, Australian Kiwi said:

Also re: South Geelong Station / Kardinia Park - its being rebuilt as part of the Geelong Line upgrades (which includes additional tracks to support future HSR to Melbourne). 

figure_col12_lg.jpg

20 hours ago, Victorian said:

Would it be ready in time for 2026?

20 hours ago, Australian Kiwi said:

As I said - its inconsequential. Kardinia Park already hosts major sporting events with tens of thousands of spectators - many of whom have come from Melbourne by rail. It will not be an issue. 

20 hours ago, ulu said:

I'd personally would prefer to see swimming remain in Melbourne but what's Kardinia Aquatic Centre like? Is there enough room to put up temporary seating like the Gold Coast Aquatic Centre during Comm Games? It seems like maybe the pools are too close together to have seating on both sides.

JwAMOZX.png

19 hours ago, Gonzo said:

Kardinia Pool is local community pool facility fit for nothing else much more than a local school swim carnival. Would cost millions to get it up to CG standard

19 hours ago, Australian Kiwi said:

There is merit in your suggestion - and probably would have been an option if there was enough of a lead in time - but I think MSAC is the best option we have. At the moment its the second only to Homebush in the country so why not build upon the previous investment. 

19 hours ago, Victorian said:

19 hours ago, TorchbearerSydney said:

Q: This means an extra 60,000 that would like to go to the ceremony (myself included) might not be able to attend as there is only room for 40,000. The idea of having the ceremony at a larger venue is to open it up to more people to attend.

I went to the Melbourne2006 Opening Ceremony- about a third of the seats were empty! I think it was the high ticket price ($350 up) more than anything else.

One thing I do wonder about in a regional model is where is everyone going to stay? It is not like Shepperton or Bendigo have that much accommodation. I suppose most of the venues, particularly Geelong are just an 1.00-1.5 train trip from downtown Melbourne and thousands of hotel rooms.

18 hours ago, BigVic said:

Good to see bipartisan support with the Victorian Liberal Leader saying yes. A regional Victoria 2026 Games will be fantastic instead of hosting it in cities. 

18 hours ago, BigVic said:

It's a bit like Euro 2020 with 12 cities across Europe hosting instead of just one host nation 

18 hours ago, Gonzo said:

And what a giant failure that was .....

18 hours ago, Australian Kiwi said:

Apparently this was the plan considered last year by the Victorian Government. 

I wonder why they've changed their mind? They clearly went cold on the Melbourne 2006-lite plan in favourite of this statewide plan.

18 hours ago, Australian Kiwi said:

Not sure why the media has run with this - the article itself mentions that the Ballarat Mayor mentions that Mars Stadium is not fit for purpose and that it should be held in Geelong at Kardinia. 

17 hours ago, Gonzo said:

Kardinia Park/GHMBA is just too small of a field dimension to host an Athletics track without seriously ripping into the stands (which alone cost $20 million to remove/repair/return to Oval mode the MCG in 2006)

It is even smaller (170x115m) than the MCG (173x148m) which needed a major ripup of seating and a full size IAAF standard track is 190x120m

17 hours ago, Victorian said:

16 hours ago, Victorian said:

I know it is very early days but would like to see these elements included in ceremonies

Victoria's Gold Diggers and the Eureka Heritage
Australia's Farmers
Emergency Services
Indigenous Victoria

As for songs, I was quite disappointed that Gold Coast forgot some of the Australian classics!
I Still Call Australia Home
I am Australian
Up There Cazaly
Waltzing Matilda

16 hours ago, Victorian said:

An idea for a logo. Each colour represents a major host city and there is a variant for each city to use within the town.

6oyTM4M.png

16 hours ago, SportLightning said:

Nice job on the logo design.

15 hours ago, Victorian said:

This is the current 'stage' of Mars Stadium, Ballarat. The games could fast track the next stages of the redevelopment.

150902-Stage-1C_SC-EDIT21-990x465.jpg

150902-Stage-21-990x465.jpg

150902-Stage-3-990x465.jpg

Precinct overview. Plenty of room on the right for a carpark to be developed too.

150902-Perspective_00-Medium.jpg

13 hours ago, AustralianFan said:

Ballarat is where Mars Stadium is.

13 hours ago, AustralianFan said:

Easy to hold Aquatics at Kardina Aquatics Centre, Geelong, with temporary grandstands.  

Gold Coast did exactly this for 2018 Com Games.

Perth also did this for 1991 and 1998 World Swimming Championships.

SCpYizI.jpg

13 hours ago, TorchbearerSydney said:

Q: Easy to hold Aquatics at Kardina Aquatics Centre, Geelong, with temporary grandstands.

Not sure it is easy- pools have dozens of strict regulations to be internatioanl standard, particularly depth requirements for safety. Is Kardina up to this standard?

And World Records are established at the Comm Games...so the highest standard is required.

12 hours ago, AustralianFan said:

Kardina Aquatics Centre has two pools.  One is called the Olympic Pool and the other the Fina pool.

As required, the pools would be drained and prepared to international standard as was the case for the outdoor swimming venues at Gold Coast 2018 and for Perth 1998 where a company called Myrtle did the job.

Temporary grandstands at this open air venue and you have the 2026 Com Games regional aquatics pool.

12 hours ago, AustralianFan said:

Cycling likely I think to be at John Cain Arena in Melbourne, recently used in the Australian Open.  The cycling track sits in place underneath the grandstands, even to this day in this multi-purpose venue.

6 hours ago, Victorian said:

Also hosted in 2006

6 hours ago, Victorian said:

Shepparton hosted international volleyball before so it could host it at the CWG

https://greatershepparton.com.au/whats-happening/news/news-article/!/456/post/beach-volleyball-world-tour-begins

5 hours ago, SportLightning said:

We only have one month for the announcement. Exact date to be announced.

4 hours ago, Victorian said:

I was thinking they could use these games to upgrade and redevelop the Tom Flood Velodrome making it an indoor world class velodrome? Similar to what they did in Brisbane for the CWG?

3 hours ago, Gonzo said:

I'm sure for a a couple of million dollars, they could upgrade the Kardinia Pool into a temporary aquatic facility and for a another few million dollars more upgrade a velodrome into a temporary cycling facility and for a bit more than just a few million, upgrade Mars Stadium into Ballarat into a temporary Athletics facility

But isn't the whole point of the "sustainable" & "cost effective" nature of major events now is in trying to avoid wasteful temporary solutions, when an hours drive down the road you have a aquatic facility, veoldrome & athletics track that could host an international event next weekend

3 hours ago, Gonzo said:

Anyway call me cynical, but I don't believe a word of what this government says about a Regional Games. This is the most deceitful, corrupt, lying, PR obsessed, manipulating government led by a egotistical tyrant (although that title is being challenged at the moment by the clown out West) in Australian History and anything they announce should be taken with a massive grain of salt

There's an election coming in November and it would not surprise me one bit that this "regional focus" and promises of nice things to regional cities is all a sham just to gain votes at the November election and then after the election *BOOM*, "we've had independent analysis done of our 2026 plans and the best solution is to centralise the games in Melbourne"

3 hours ago, Victorian said:

Correct but they will still need temporary seating at MSAC for the Swimming and Lakeside for Athletics if they choose that venue

3 hours ago, ulu said:

The pools at Gold Coast Aquatic Centre were certified for elite competition already in 2014 when the Pan Pacific Championships were hosted there and Ledecky set multiple WRs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Pan_Pacific_Swimming_Championships#Women's_events

I can tell you don’t like Labor based on those comments. 

Politics aside, I really get and believe this regional module they are going down. I was against it to start but starting to warm to this idea. Facilities for regional areas will get better and better and will inspire country kids to get involved in sport. Post games, National and international championships and events would have world class facilities they could use in regional Vic. What better way to boost tourism for regional areas than getting influx of tourists from overseas, inter state and even Melbourne going into the bush. Too many times, the country misses out in these events so it’s great to see the focus being on the bush instead of the ‘burbs. People complain that CWG are always being held down under. This isn’t the same, it’s something different. Regional Victoria would never host an Olympics but they can combine and host a Commonwealth Games. This module too will help encourage other smaller regions and cities to hopefully consider hosting the games which can only be seen as a positive for the future of the CWG. 

Kardinia Aquatic Centre was used for the World Aquatics Championships in 2007 as a training venue. Could they possibly have FINA accreditation because of that? 

2 hours ago, Victorian said:

1 hour ago, Australian Kiwi said:

Great logos! 

My only suggestion is to drop the Southern Cross for simplicity. Similar in some ways to the Victoria '94 logo (V for Victoria/Victory and for the medal ribbon). 

You should tweet this to the Premier!