Opening up Gamesbids Premium Membership

13 minutes ago, FYI said:

It'd be nice sometimes, but not all that necessary. Like I just mentioned to Rols, I think I'd like the mailbox expansion the most.

It is annoying when you try to post someone but their mailbox is full. I’d support raising it. But then again, it’s human nature to hoard stuff and before too long that gets filled as well. I still get regularly asked to make space in my inbox because I hoard sentimental convos going back to 2004

2 minutes ago, Sir Rols said:

It is annoying when you try to post someone but their mailbox is full. I’d support raising it. But then again, it’s human nature to hoard stuff and before too long that gets filled as well. I still get regularly asked to make space in my inbox because I hoard sentimental convos going back to 2004

Oh my gosh! You're so right! I get accused of hoarding all the time! Yet, the accuser should talk! Boy, that sounds like here! :lol:

18 minutes ago, fatixxx said:

gamezbids is democratic enough imho, but i think that the word-using is not appropiate.. 

closed-enclave where all the secret hush-hush wink-wink intellegence occures is a little bit unnoble wording

10 years ago a was on the bench of being premium member and at that time GBmoderator was so polite to answer my question

but with the loose of istanbul on tokyo back in 2013 buenos aires i lost my excitement back then..

but want to share my toughts on this issue..

1// as gamesbids-platform is democratic enough.. who can attach a poll on top of this thread with 4-5-6 options when this threads get mature enough

2// i surely would want an option to edit my messaging when i wrote somethşng wrong (because of the switch of language of keyboard for example)

this unableity causss a problem that shifts-forward into a new message to indicate the wrongness or to add a few sentences more..

this unableity gives me from time to time a little stress, not being able to edit your own mesagges gives an handicap feeling.. 

minor improvements will make us users feel more valuable.. the question/title on top of this thread is not wrong but the secrecy/shallow view is not correct.

best regards, fatih

Hi Fatih

I agree with you.

I don’t believe that the premium membership is in itself shallow, but when you have a priveliged few who have premium membership to have benefits but do not give the same benefits to regular members, then instantly they have created an exclusive group or club.

Regular members cannot edit their own posts, as you said :)

Premium members can edit their own posts.

Premium members have a bigger inbox.

Regular members are restricted to 3 messages only.

I agree to with your statement that:  “minor improvements will make us users feel more valuable”.

9 minutes ago, AustralianFan said:

It’s the editing function that Gamesbids is not allowing regular members like us to do.

Skyscraper allow members to edit their own post.

TotallyOlympics allow members to edit their own posts.

Gamesbids.com do not allow members to edit their own posts.

I know. But it's really not that big a deal. At least not to me, anyway.

10 minutes ago, AustralianFan said:

Gamesbids.com do not allow members to edit their own posts.

Focussing on writing quality and relevant posts rather than spamming out a large quantity of so-called evidence could be a key aspect of successfully coping with this restriction. Sometimes, less is more.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AustralianFan said:

Hi Fatih

I agree with you.

I don’t believe that the premium membership is in itself shallow, but when you have a priveliged few who have premium membership to have benefits but do not give the same benefits to regular members, then instantly they have created an exclusive group or club.

Regular members cannot edit their own posts, as you said :)

Premium members can edit their own posts.

Premium members have a bigger inbox.

Regular members are restricted to 3 messages only.

I agree to with your statement that:  “minor improvements will make us users feel more valuable”.

i can live with 3-messages only in my message-box.. after reading i delete it immediatly..

but feel from time time a handicap not to be able to correct a word/sentence/letter..

but as rols said.. if it tottaly goes wrong we have the possibility to post a correction.. 

with minor faults we are still u derstandable.. australian-fan.. we all heard your good-question..

give it now the time.. we have expression/saying in turkish.. "water finally will find its riverbed"

im going to sleep its 22:40 in belgium right now.. have to work tomorrow-early.. bye ^_^

1 hour ago, Sir Rols said:

I don’t think *cough* certain members could be trusted with a “create poll” function 

38 minutes ago, munichfan said:

Focussing on writing quality and relevant posts rather than spamming out a large quantity of so-called evidence could be a key aspect of successfully coping with this restriction. Sometimes, less is more.

I always thought in the past, that the “start a new topic” feature was a premium thing. Just imagine for a moment if it was.

8 hours ago, Rob. said:

You'd be better off PMing GBModerator with your ideas.

(I'm gonna get banned for this suggestion aren't I?)

The MOD doesn't give a rats arse about this site anymore. He does not even reply to messages or to any posts in the ask the moderator thread. The site is riddled with ads and has not had a proper upgrade in years.

@AustralianFan i would give up if i was you mate, seems that you are the target for these idiots. Rise above it mate, it is unacceptable these days to put up with being picked on online. ignore and be the better man.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Scotguy II said:

The MOD doesn't give a rats arse about this site anymore. He does not even reply to messages or to any posts in the ask the moderator thread. The site is riddled with ads and has not had a proper upgrade in years.

He does post links to threads on the site's Facebook page to encourage people to visit the forums.

Honestly, the most annoying thing is the site doesn't remember the last post of a thread you've read anymore. It just feels like something wasn't installed properly when the last upgrade happened because there's no way this forum software doesn't do that.

I've admittedly perused this forum over the years as a lurker (I enjoyed reading the lead up to the election of Tokyo - I wanted Istanbul to win). I don't really care tbh - but the inability to edit is kind of tiresome. The pop up ads suck. I didn't realise there was an exclusive area until now - I'm not fussed. 

14 hours ago, Sir Rols said:

The only mod tool (apart from the flag as spammer) tool I used to regularly use was the ability to move posts to different forums. That was lost in the last software update, but I miss it. It would have been handy in cases such as Olympics2028.

I dunno, editing’s okay - mostly when spell correct or too fast typing stuffs up a post. But I participate in other sites without it and it’s not a deal breaker. At worst you post a correction.

It's not 2005 anymore, I would say it's a very basic feature of most forums now and shouldn't be a Premium only feature. Polls being Premium only I'm ok with. Luckily I ended up with a permanent Premium membership years back. Not being able to edit posts would be incredibly annoying now.

@AustralianFan, I wasn't being factitious when I said PM @GBModerator. He is, after all, the only one who can implement any changes. If you took any offence at my jokey post, sorry. But some of your threads are quite intense walls of text like you're presenting us all with a report. There's probably some decent ideas in there.

16 hours ago, AustralianFan said:

that may not be the impression which Gamesbids.com intended but that “closed secret exclusive club” is clearly how premium membership currently looks on gamesbids.com - and that is damaging.

If it makes you feel any better, the last post in the Premium Member Lounge was a fortnight ago, and the one before that was six months ago!

You're not missing out on anything, and there's no secret society secretly conspiring to e.g. bring an end to Olympic Cauldrons Once And For All. So you can chill on this point.

So, really, your OP can be boiled down to the following:

Allow ALL members to edit posts (good idea!)

Maybe allow members to add polls.

There's not much more to it than that. Both decent enough ideas, but none of us can do anything...you really need to PM @GBModerator.

11 minutes ago, Rob. said:

If it makes you feel any better, the last post in the Premium Member Lounge was a fortnight ago, and the one before that was six months ago!

You're not missing out on anything, and there's no secret society secretly conspiring to e.g. bring an end to Olympic Cauldrons Once And For All. So you can chill on this point.

There's not much more to it than that. Both decent enough ideas, but none of us can do anything...you really need to PM @GBModerator.

Thanks for that and I agree.    I messaged via the @GBModerator via  ‘Contact’ field so will also do as you suggested.

50 minutes ago, Rob. said:

35 minutes ago, AustralianFan said:

Thanks for that and I agree.    I messaged via the @GBModerator via  ‘Contact’ field so will also do as you suggested.

This is the  error message I get when tried several times to msg to @GBModerator:

RjUDxTi.jpg

2 hours ago, Rob. said:

Honestly, the most annoying thing is the site doesn't remember the last post of a thread you've read anymore. It just feels like something wasn't installed properly when the last upgrade happened because there's no way this forum software doesn't do that.

That is so annoying, having to go from the first post of a thread every time. Nothing to do with premium either. 

22 minutes ago, yoshi said:

That is so annoying, having to go from the first post of a thread every time. Nothing to do with premium either. 

Hm, when I go to unread view and then click on „x replies“ under the thread, I immediately land at the last message on the last page of that thread.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, munichfan said:

Go to "Account Settings" -> "Content View Behaviour"

You're welcome!

You're an absolute star. This has been bugging me for ages.

Apologies for doubting the mod's ability to install the software correctly, I'll flagellate myself accordingly. :ph34r:

But I'm sorry, how can the software have "go to the beginning" as the default option? Shakes fist at Invision.

Edited by Rob.

6 hours ago, Rob. said:

He does post links to threads on the site's Facebook page to encourage people to visit the forums.

He does that on Twitter, too.

2 hours ago, Rob. said:

But I'm sorry, how can the software have "go to the beginning" as the default option?

Like you, I didn't even know about the setting either (I hardly ever go to it, anyway), yet like now, when I come back to a thread, it takes me right to "unread replies". So apparently, the "go to the beginning" is not the default option.

5 minutes ago, yoshi said:

@StefanMUC thank you so much, that's so much better. I can't believe that wasn't the default setting - I would be embarrassed at missing it if it hadn't also flummoxed someone of Rob's stature lol :ph34r:. Thanks again :)

Hey, it was news to me to wake up to today as well. Yes, thanks Stefan and MunichFarn!

Edited by Sir Rols