What does happen If a war breaks out In the middle of an Olympics?

This is just a hypothetical at this stage. We’s surely all hope it doesn’t happen. But it sure is ominous. But if it does, what would it mean for the games - apart from the fact of giving us far bigger things to worry about.

Do the games get called off? 

Is Russia expelled for breaking the Olympic truce?

Do the contentious teams get separated?

I mean, at the very least it would make the village very tense. There could be altercations between athletes. But how far materially would the games be impacted?

Edited by Sir Rols

• Sir Rols changed the title to What does happen If a war breaks out In the middle of an Olympics?
18 minutes ago, Sir Rols said:

Do the games get called off? 

This actually surprises me. Cause surely China doesn't want anything like this to overshadow their Games, do they?

But then again, what were Putin & Xi talking so much about the first couple of days of the winter Games? Was that part of their conversations? It sure would've made for interesting dialog, that's for sure. 

18 minutes ago, Sir Rols said:

Is Russia expelled for breaking the Olympic truce?

Better question, I suppose. Would they. Would that finally be, enough is enough already. But hopefully, it doesn't get to that point, & this is all just grandstanding, & Putin calls back his troops in the end & call it a day. The world doesn't need anymore turmoil.

5 minutes ago, Guilga said:

They weren´t, mr. president Bach boasted that the truce was announced at the UN, if i recall correctly. 

Yeah, Bach visited the “Truce Wall” in Beijing before the games with photographers in tow and signed his name on it. And the UN still does play along with it.

Yeah, I’m just generally interested in what could happen. I don’t think there’s been a direct precedent. There was the invasion of Hungary in 1956, which caused some brawls at Melbourne. But I think that invasion happened before the games. During Sydney 2000 I think the Intifidada broke out Israel - but I didn’t know about it till the games ended, so all-encompassing was the games coverage down here.

Personally, I’d guess the games would go on, with some platitudes from Fencing 1976 about the need to strive for peace and work out our differences in other ways etc. I’d hope Russia was expelled, but I’d guess more likely there’d be heavier security around them and the Ukrainians and lectures that they should respect the sanctity of the neutral ground of the Olympic village yadda yadda. Surely Xi would be a bit pissed off at Putin.

i suspect Putin’s just grandstanding and putting on the pressure. But who knows?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TorchbearerSydney said:

Imagine if the truce actually meant something, lets say any nation that goes to war during the Games will be stripped of their medals and sent home....? Why not?

One small problem with this in the event of a Russian invasion of Ukraine: Russia has already been sanctioned, with Russian athletes competing for the Russian Olympic Committee instead of the Russian state.

In general terms I think it would be a good idea, though.

Edited by Nacre

4 hours ago, Nacre said:

One small problem with this in the event of a Russian invasion of Ukraine: Russia has already been sanctioned, with Russian athletes competing for the Russian Olympic Committee instead of the Russian state.

In general terms I think it would be a good idea, though.

Good point, easy way out for the IOC: Russia as a country isn‘t even represented in Beijing, so no action necessary.

And even if it were, I‘m very sure nothing would happen either. I read an interesting story yesterday (in German, paywalled at Der Spiegel) as to how Putin made first contact with Bach while Vlad was still in St Pete and Fencing 1976 was head of the Future Host Comm…sorry, New Norm is carrying me away, evaluation committee for 2004, where St Pete got thrown out early on. There‘s links going way back in time.

I'm sure the games will go on as planned. Don't forget, this is an unpolitical event, after all! :P

Apart from the "even if" discussion - I still don't see how Russia would see it as favourable to start a full invasion. One would expect they would prepare such a step in the state media, which so far hasn't happened. They'll probably open a few bottles of champaign at the Kremlin once Wednesday has passed and Biden has to admit his services were talking bullsh*t.

4 hours ago, StefanMUC said:

I read an interesting story yesterday (in German, paywalled at Der Spiegel) as to how Putin made first contact with Bach while Vlad was still in St Pete and Fencing 1976 was head of the Future Host Comm…sorry, New Norm is carrying me away, evaluation committee for 2004, where St Pete got thrown out early on. There‘s links going way back in time.

Oh yes, the early 2000's... what a great time for Germans making friends in Moscow.

So here‘s basically the article I was talking about earlier, but in English and free on the author‘s blog:

https://www.jensweinreich.de/2022/02/15/compromat-kgb-fsb-gru-a-brief-intelligence-overview-of-vladimir-putins-relationship-with-the-ioc/

Should give some context on IOC/Russia relations.

• Thanks 1