Eurovision Song Contest 2022

As expected Ukraine has won the 2022 Eurovision Song Contest. They got a record number of public televotes with 28 countries giving it 12 points.

1st: Ukraine

2nd: United Kingdom

3rd: Spain

Ukraine are adamant that next years contest will be held in Ukraine.

As much as I support the cause in Ukraine, this will not do well for a contest which has been accused for years of being politicized. UK and Spain deserved to win it, specially because this was a once in a lifetime chance after many dissapointments for both of them (Spain hosted it in 1969).

Also, I doubt this war will be over by 2023. How is Ukraine exactly going to host anything when the entire country is in shambles?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ikarus360 said:

As much as I support the cause in Ukraine, this will not do well for a contest which has been accused for years of being politicized. UK and Spain deserved to win it, specially because this was a once in a lifetime chance after many dissapointments for both of them (Spain hosted it in 1969).

Also, I doubt this war will be over by 2023. How is Ukraine exactly going to host anything when the entire country is in shambles?

Sweden and Spain have offered to host it on Ukraine’s behalf.   No doubt, others will come forward to assist as well.

Eurovision 2022: Mayor Of Stockholm Offers To Host Eurovision 2023 In Event Of Ukraine Win

Spain offers to host Eurovision in 2023 after Ukraine crowned winners

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

EBU announced Ukraine will not host in 2023 (obvious outcome at this stage), and is now entering talks with the BBC.

https://twitter.com/eurovision/status/1537736907135889411?s=21&t=8oAGuN_EmkI4wnT57eCMaA

This news today already triggered raised hands from Nicola Sturgeon, Sadiq Khan and officials from Manchester. So there‘s another bid race to look forward to.

I can't help feeling the EBU has acted a little prematurely here and the response of the Ukrainian broadcasters, and their previous winners, is quite understandable. Surely it would have been better to prepare for the contest as usual in the winning country but with a contingency plan ready to go if that proves not to be feasible. The sight of various political leaders and institutions tripping over themselves to offer up venues in their particular cities was also slightly distasteful in my mind.

That said, if the event can't be held in Ukraine, there is only one venue in the UK which should and that is the Principality Stadium in Cardiff, with the roof closed and 70,000 or so packed in.

• Haha 1

They do have a host, but unfortunately it's one that is facing circumstances that I'm pretty certain are unprecedented in the history of the event. Therefore, my view is that it would be better for the EBU to go ahead and prepare to have the contest in Ukraine as tradition requires, but with a back-up plan in the UK or somewhere else ready to go in case that can't happen. Would it really take all that much to have somewhere like the O2 in London or something like that provisionally booked? Or is the nub that the EBU can't afford to go down that road?

• Haha 1

The EBU does not book a venue (let alone pay for ESC as an organisation).

And while it is tradition that the winner hosts, there have been multiple occasions (including the first winner not hosting the second edition), the latest in 1980, that for one reason or another, the winner does not host the following year (let‘s not split hairs about the 2019 winner not hosting 2020).

Ukraine had a great entry very deserving of victory in its own right (not just out of sympathy), but it was clear from the start that they would struggle at the best of scenarios even to host an event where tens of thousands of people come together from all across Europe (and beyond). Even more so in the very likely scenario of a war dragging on for a long time.

It is sad, but you can‘t organise such a large scale event with a plan B that switches to a completely different location a few weeks beforehand, considering ticketing, delegation accomodation, production set up. ESC is not just building a stage in a few days, get people to sing and move on. There‘s much more behind it, and the EBU knows all that best. They need to find a suitable host for their peak event just like the IOC needs to find one for the Olympics, but with much less time available. 

And since Boris chipped in as well: Of course Partygate PM loves to play Ukrainian‘s advocate whenever he feels it scores him points, but I‘m sure the EBU will not (as everyone really shouldn‘t, no matter the topic) listen to his mindless babbling about Ukraine hosting. 

15 hours ago, StefanMUC said:

And since Boris chipped in as well: Of course Partygate PM loves to play Ukrainian‘s advocate whenever he feels it scores him points

People are noticing this little pattern. #ChickenKyiv was trending online this weekend.

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/politics/chicken-kyiv-trends-as-boris-ducks-red-wall-appearance-for-trip-to-ukraine-326680/

Edited by Rob.
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

We could all tell that Ukraine was gonna win.

But I think RAI Italy put on a great show!

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, StefanMUC said:

Glasgow - after all the infamous Netflix movie was partly shot there, so reality would catch up with fiction on a way.

I’m no Eurovision fan… not be a long way… but I actually enjoyed that movie. It was fun and silly - just like Eurovision. Actually, far more fun than real Eurovision is.

So, yes, would certainly go for Glasgow.

Edited by Sir Rols
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The shortlist of UK cities that could host next year's Eurovision Song Contest has been revealed, with seven locations in the running.
Birmingham, Glasgow, Leeds, Liverpool, Manchester, Newcastle and Sheffield will vie to stage the event in May.
Twenty cities expressed an interest, the BBC said, and those not making the shortlist include London and Belfast.
The UK was chosen to host the contest after organisers decided it could not be staged by Ukraine, the 2022 winners.