Oh God, "duality" of Milano-Cortina just gives me nightmares thinking of the 2026 children of these 2 -- among the least imaginative mascots of all time.  And then the Asterisk for the Paras.  With the 2026 logo people chose, I think M-C 2026 is ALREADY FAILING in its Design challenges -- all the more disappointing considering it's Italy.  They could've let Donatella Versace or the Gucci woman do the designs.  I don't think they could've done worse than the curretn designers working on MC 2026. 

Torino Olympic Mascots.svg

Edited by baron-pierreIV

6 minutes ago, SeriousPotato said:

The IOC has got to stop interfering with the artistic direction, it really shows.

No, I don't think it's the IOC.  It's the tenor of the times (Covid) PLUS the Org Committee.  Why would the IOC want something less lavish?  It's not something they want enshrined at their museum in Lausanne.  (But the cauldron thing really had to be toned down.  They had to put the brakes on that.)

Now wait for the whole Official Records saga.  Or maybe the IOC will just expect the same actions from Beijing as they exhiited in turning in the 2008 Official Records.  

3 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

No, I don't think it's the IOC.  It's the tenor of the times (Covid) PLUS the Org Committee.  Why would the IOC want something less lavish?  It's not something they want enshrined at their museum in Lausanne.  (But the cauldron thing really had to be toned down.  They had to put the brakes on that.)

Now wait for the whole Official Records saga.  Or maybe the IOC will just expect the same actions from Beijing as they exhiited in turning in the 2008 Official Records.  

Mmm I think it's a mix of both. I read somewhere last week that Bach suggested Imagine again for the Beijing OC. I'm sure they've suggested more than just that and will continue to as long as this is the leadership we're dealing with.

18 minutes ago, Anthony said:

Mmm I think it's a mix of both. I read somewhere last week that Bach suggested Imagine again for the Beijing OC. I'm sure they've suggested more than just that and will continue to as long as this is the leadership we're dealing with.

Well, about a year before (more or less), the COJOs submit their rough schemes and scenarios to the IOC.  ANd unless there is something there that is really OFF, the Exec Board pretty much rubber-stamps it.  But obvioulsy, over the last 2 years, both the Tokyo and Beijing folks -- because of Covid and the strictures it placed on staging the Games -- the orgs had to scramble and retool the Ceremonies.  So, yes, the IOC might've said something but, overall, I'm sure it was a concerted decision on everyone's part that the Ceremonies be more mindful of the worldwide health situation going on rather than just sheer mindless lavish shows.  Remember, they also have commitments to their network clients to show some stunning images.  

Actually, I was very pleasantly surprised to hear ODE TO JOY thumping in the bkgd as the athletes entered en masse.  It was reassuring to hear an old friend again -- even though it was ampped to the nines.  Was tired of all those kids, though.  I wonder if they were all children of the higher party appartchiks-- and that having their little ones appear on global TV was a reward for doing faithful service to the Party?   

Edited by baron-pierreIV

5 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Well, about a year before (more or less), the COJOs submit their rough schemes and scenarios to the IOC.  ANd unless there is something there that is really OFF, the Exec Board pretty much rubber-stamps it.  But obvioulsy, over the last 2 years, both the Tokyo and Beijing folks -- because of Covid and the strictures it placed on staging the Games -- the orgs had to scramble and retool the Ceremonies.  So, yes, the IOC might've said something but, overall, I'm sure it was a concerted decision on everyone's part that the Ceremonies be more mindful of the worldwide health situation going on rather than just sheer mindless lavish shows.  Remember, they also have commitments to their network clients to show some stunning images.  

Actually, I was very pleasantly surprised to hear ODE TO JOY thumping in the bkgd as the athletes entered en masse.  It was reassuring to hear an old friend again -- even though it was ampped to the nines.  Was tired of all those kids, though.  I wonder if they were all children of the higher party appartchiks-- and that having their little ones appear on global TV was a reward for doing faithful service to the Party?   

The reason I'm more skeptical is because I remember in the 2016 Closing, there was that whole segment promoting the Olympic Channel, which is just another example of IOC interference. So I fear the IOC influence is more than just a sign of the times, but more of an opportunity for sterile PR stunts which will probably continue.

Edited by Anthony

20 minutes ago, Anthony said:

The reason I'm more skeptical is because I remember in the 2016 Closing, there was that whole segment promoting the Olympic Channel, which is just another example of IOC interference. So I fear the IOC influence is more than just a sign of the times, but more of an opportunity for sterile PR stunts which will probably continue.

well, they do OWN the Games -- so I guess they can do anything they want.  ANd if so, I wouldn't necessarily call it "interference."  As they say -- it's my party and I can cry in it if I want to.  

41 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

well, they do OWN the Games -- so I guess they can do anything they want.  ANd if so, I wouldn't necessarily call it "interference."  As they say -- it's my party and I can cry in it if I want to.  

yeah but like :rolleyes:

13 hours ago, fatixxx said:

best pikyok,

a lot of thanks for your good/comprehensively text/message

maybe you eventually want to copy/paste to the other appropiate thread (as welk)

(maybe you havent inadvertently seen the other thread)

The topic you have linked is for a general verdict on the entire Beijing 2022 Games, not, as @PikyoK did, for a verdict only on the closing ceremony. Please avoid double posts, thank you.

9 minutes ago, Olympian2004 said:

The topic you have linked is for a general verdict on the entire Beijing 2022 Games, not, as @PikyoK did, for a verdict only on the closing ceremony. Please avoid double posts, thank you.

Best @Olympian2004 ..

is that your problem?

besides pikyok gave a point on his verdict,

it would be not more than normal, as he did, copied and pasted only the link of his post

and this enriched the thread..

thats all, why your fuss about it..

games bids has enough space for that

thank you.. ^_^ 

@fatixxx, I am not creating a fuss just because I point out what the actual focus of the "verdict" thread is. If PikyoK wants to give an overall assessment on the Games, the "verdict" thread is the right place for that. But please don't encourage other users to create double posts in threads that are not really fitting for the topics that those users address in their posts. 

11 hours ago, Olympian2004 said:

@fatixxx, I am not creating a fuss just because I point out what the actual focus of the "verdict" thread is. If PikyoK wants to give an overall assessment on the Games, the "verdict" thread is the right place for that. But please don't encourage other users to create double posts in threads that are not really fitting for the topics that those users address in their posts. 

best olimpian2004,

i came late from work and had a lot of time to think about the issue youve cited. i have been especially been thinking about your both/same requests: "not to encourage other users to create dubble posts' & "please avoid double posts". i think you deserve some sort of response, because you want to run the thread youve started in a decent way. 

you have used words that came close over as a sort of slander/defamation eg: that i would have encouraged users to post double posts and that i would avoid this. firstly this is/was not acceptable in my view as a direct reflex, and thats also why my response-sentence came unappropiate over too. and i want to appologize myself in this context.  you could have used more soft words or could have pm (private messaged) me. but ok, i will pay attention to it.

All that said, im not opposed to bring a more technical explanation of what we inadvertenly dont see about the ceremonies-threads at gamesbids-forums. So here is a suggestion that we can start talking about a structural problem:

EACH olympic-city forum exists about 3 MAİN sub-forums, RESPECTIVELY;

1// sports/events discussion

2// ceremonies discussion >> with ALL the ceremonies VERDICT threads

3// tickets travel accomodation

4// and the sub-forum itself (with variable threads) >> with ALSO other VERDICT threads

LETS continue to reason;

2// ceremonies discussion >> contents 

Beijing 2022 Ceremonies 

Beijing 2022 Opening Ceremony Verdict 

Beijing 2022 Winter Olympics Opening Ceremony Live Chat 

Beijing 2022 Winter Olympics Closing Ceremony Live Chat >> with inclusion of closing ceremony verdict

4// the subforum threads >> contents 

Beijing 2022 - Your verdict  >> with inclusion of closing ceremony verdict (of some users)

Beijing 2022 - your midway verdict

As you can see, this is not as simple as just opening a new thread. we (not in person but in general) are opening a "can of worms" here and im not sure how we can/should deal with it.

* you said to me AS you see it from your perspective; "please don't encourage other users to create double posts in threads that are not really fitting for the topics that those users address in their posts

* what i suggested was AS i saw from my perspective was: that pikyok wrote his opinion at the 'closing ceremony live-chat' and wanted that he added/pasted that at the closing ceremony verdict thread. after that user ikarus opened the 'opening ceremony verdict' .. you were the second user who started the closing ceremony verdict. So that all the verdicts came/compact together in one thread.

But pikyok wrote the correct-sentence by saying: 'My verdict on the closing ceremony and a comment on the games' as you can read, the heaviest-verdict part was on the closing ceremony an not on the general-part of the games. as the chilean user nacholymoic and brazilian user guilga wrote their verdict long-text on the live-chat thread in stead of on the verdict-thread. all these verdict-threads creating actually confetti/manipulation and does not give agood structural feeling. 

nevertheless, we can see it is/was a miscommunication/miscalcullation from my side as i saw your thread AS the closing ceremony verdict as it wasnt.. youve started a general verdict thread about whole the games. it would have been better to put an eddition word in the title of your thread: eg: your general verdict AS in the same analogy of the your midway verdict thread. SO everybody would have assumed that this thread is opened directly after the closing ceremony. Correlational seen it does make sense. Actually i have thought that ikarus would start the cc-verdict as he did with the oc-verdict. i was coping with this-miscaculation about these threads/stress for about the second weekof the games.

hence, i think sometimes better that we can/have to be more structural (also towards the international readers of this forum) and that we deal with the can before we add more worms. is it that we fail to settle things better and fail to attend each other with miscalculated-help messages  in stead of addressing directly with hard/slander-ish sentences. finally.. why would i encourage other users with something unnusual, isnt it. 

if not i would like to hear some comment from everyone else here as well, please.. maybe better at the general discussion forum. because i still have stress/problems when switching and clicking between threats. wouldnt it be better to close dirdctly the live-chat-thread DIRECTLY when a ceremony ends, so that everyone could be signboard to the verdict threads. all precious comments become like confetti and devides everything over 3-4 threats. we loose/need really a structure to conformt our rush to read comments directly after ceremonies/live-chats/ending of the games.

best regards, ..fatih

@fatixxx

I wouldn’t stress too much about it. I interpreted it as more a mild request. 

The “verdict” thread in the general section is a long time tradition of this forum at the ending of a games, and is usually intended as a general summing up of the total games from ceremonies to sports to atmosphere to how member’s national teams went. 

The ceremonies threads are self explanatory. And there are many members such as the ones you mentioned who are far more focussed on the ceremonies than the other aspects of the games. That’s fine, that’s their thing.

Now, it’s fine to discuss the ceremonies in the general verdict thread, but there’s really no need to double post a verdict on the ceremonies themselves there if they’ve already had their detailed say in the ceremonies thread. Those people more focussed on ceremonies know exactly where to look for ceremonies comments (and probably know each other and follow each other’s posts already). Generally double/repeat postings of anything are considered a bit impolite.

Again, it’s not like any major “rules” were broken. It’s more a matter of etiquette.   

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Sir Rols said:

@fatixxx

I wouldn’t stress too much about it. I interpreted it as more a mild request. 

The “verdict” thread in the general section is a long time tradition of this forum at the ending of a games, and is usually intended as a general summing up of the total games from ceremonies to sports to atmosphere to how member’s national teams went. 

The ceremonies threads are self explanatory. And there are many members such as the ones you mentioned who are far more focussed on the ceremonies than the other aspects of the games. That’s fine, that’s their thing.

Now, it’s fine to discuss the ceremonies in the general verdict thread, but there’s really no need to double post a verdict on the ceremonies themselves there if they’ve already had their detailed say in the ceremonies thread. Those people more focussed on ceremonies know exactly where to look for ceremonies comments (and probably know each other and follow each other’s posts already). Generally double/repeat postings of anything are considered a bit impolite.

Again, it’s not like any major “rules” were broken. It’s more a matter of etiquette.   

1// rols, i understand you completely..

2// but do you understand me completely?

in your response you dont give any confirmation on none of the parts on my view, you dont have to, but; 

i explicitly explained that there isnt an intention (on behalf of mine side) about the encouriging double posting

first i appologized second i explained the miscalculation.. so finally theres no act of impolitness

3// there are too many verdict-threads on the ceremonies-sub-forum can be structuraly arranged by closing directly the live chat after the ending of a ceremony. i dont think that (especially the) users (i mentioned) are aware of the fact that they are a few verdict-threads because of the fact that whole the attention on the live-chat is increasingly higher and their text can be read by more users, while everything doesnt come compact together when a verdict-thread is started far lately after the live chat. this shortcomşng can be solved easly

i appreciate your mildly interferance, but im not in accordance on that part of your statement. im stressing rightly/with a solid reason.. you say its a trafidition, regular forum-users would be knowing that detail, but other not-regular users just dont know. explanation via your own market is understandable.. but being mutual/vice-versa will be appreciated too

warmly regards, fatih

I don’t think it’s such a big deal where anything was posted. It was more a case of pointing out that encouraging others to double post was a bit overkill.

if you want a closing ceremony verdict thread you can just start one - no need to wait for someone else to do it. But do you really need one if people have already posted detailed and scored critiques in the existing threads? The ceremony fans know where to find them and likely already read them.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sir Rols said:

I don’t think it’s such a big deal where anything was posted. It was more a case of pointing out that encouraging others to double post was a bit overkill.

if you want a closing ceremony verdict thread you can just start one - no need to wait for someone else to do it. But do you really need one if people have already posted detailed and scored critiques in the existing threads? The ceremony fans know where to find them and likely already read them.

of course there is no need (anymore).. that chance is missed or thats actually the problem/case..

i avtually dont open threads so easily because i thought i would do it wrong when i wouldve start a duplicate thread.. i really thougt that ikarus would do that spontaniously as he did for the oc AND as yoshi for the logo-comps-thread.. i thought that there is/was a spontanious division of tasks under the regular users.. and i thought that the verdict-tread of olympşan2004 was the closşng-verdict-thread. i wanted to be polite to wait for the regular users and not to spoil there intention of starting a specific thread (in this case) the closing/overall

i read all of them too and enjoyed it, but they were divided into several threads.

you are a wise-man rols.. good the have you down-under.. ^_^

On 2/21/2022 at 7:19 PM, baron-pierreIV said:

Oh God, "duality" of Milano-Cortina just gives me nightmares thinking of the 2026 children of these 2 -- among the least imaginative mascots of all time.  And then the Asterisk for the Paras.  With the 2026 logo people chose, I think M-C 2026 is ALREADY FAILING in its Design challenges -- all the more disappointing considering it's Italy.  They could've let Donatella Versace or the Gucci woman do the designs.  I don't think they could've done worse than the curretn designers working on MC 2026. 

Torino Olympic Mascots.svg

Meh, I forgave these mascots and didn't cared because Torino at least gave us one of the best Looks of any Olympics.

Torino_PiazzaItalia_bob.jpg

torino-2006-look-of-the-games-02.jpgTorino_Elisethomason_01e2.jpg?format=250

I hope Milano/Cortina does something like this because Beijing look was very forgettable in my opinion.