1 minute ago, Olympian2004 said:

Oh no... I forgot that we still have to deal with that guy for another Olympic bid. But I would not be surprised if Katarina would want to spearhead another winter bid. Didn't the DOSB boss announce a few days ago that Germany wants to bid for the Games again?

He's been talking about that ever since he took up office. I would absolutely ADORE the games coming back to Bavaria. Include the new arena currently being built for ice hockey II, the new one that's rumoured to be built near the airport, the oval at Inzell and Nordic sports in Oberstdorf, and it's basically all set.

It will be a tough sell for the public, though. And DOSB being in the state it is won't help either.

Just now, JMarkSnow2012 said:

Probably. But the official video of the Sochi 2014 closing ceremony is nearly 3 hours!

Yes, of course ceremonies were usually longer in the pre-Covid era. But I think that they have to plan with the scheduled times they get from the organisers. But I remember that during the 2014 closing, they even cut out of the live broadcast because they had to broadcast a news programme or something like that and then later cut back to a tape-delayed version of the ceremony. So Sochi's schedule seemed to kill them, too ;)

2 minutes ago, munichfan said:

He's been talking about that ever since he took up office. I would absolutely ADORE the games coming back to Bavaria. Include the new arena currently being built for ice hockey II, the new one that's rumoured to be built near the airport, the oval at Inzell and Nordic sports in Oberstdorf, and it's basically all set.

It will be a tough sell for the public, though. And DOSB being in the state it is won't help either.

They will build an arena near the airport? Interesting location, it is pretty far out of Munich.

But yes, DOSB has been in a pretty bad state for years now. And Katarina Witt already said in a recent interview that a new German bid could only be feasible without a referendum. And I tend to agree with her. Milan/Cortina didn't have a referendum either, did they? I understand the rationale behind the opposition against the Games, but if we let the opponents have their way we will continue to see Olympic Games in countries where the human rights are spat upon.

Just now, Olympian2004 said:

They will build an arena near the airport? Interesting location, it is pretty far out of Munich.

But yes, DOSB has been in a pretty bad state for years now. And Katarina Witt already said in a recent interview that a new German bid could only be feasible without a referendum. And I tend to agree with her. Milan/Cortina didn't have a referendum either, did they? I understand the rationale behind the opposition against the Games, but if we let the opponents have their way we will continue to see Olympic Games in countries where the human rights are spat upon.

Some early plans by a private investor to get a state-of-the-art venue in the 20k+ category. The city isn't too amused as it's outside city limits and would make for a concurrent for the Olympic park. Might end up DOA, but who knows.

2 minutes ago, Olympian2004 said:

I hope this isn't going too off-topic here, but honestly, nobody asks for a referendum when we're talking about a UEFA Euro or European Champs or the Universiade or major infrastructure programs. I just fear that now we have had the precedents for 2022 and 2024, it will be hard to go these last three steps back.

1 minute ago, munichfan said:

Some early plans by a private investor to get a state-of-the-art venue in the 20k+ category. The city isn't too amused as it's outside city limits and would make for a concurrent for the Olympic park. Might end up DOA, but who knows.

Let's hope so. It would be a stupid location indeed. It killed me already to take that long S-Bahn ride to the airport through that area each time.

the graphics on the gargantuan led-screen impresses  very much..

but as at the opening ceremony the closing was also arid & sapless..

is this the taste of the digital and AI (artificial intelligemce) era of sport ceremonies?

we all have a sort of homesickness to the old ceremonies with less teccnological support

dunno how to feel.. but 1 thing for sure.. the graphics and venues were/looked superb (on tv)

italy has sought for a idea to combine the city-cluster of milan with the mountain-cluster of cortina

by the following motto: DUALITY, TOGETHER via composed lines of city-map and mountain-topography lines

not only on the gigantic led-screen BUT ALSO

these map-topography lines were transfered on the suits of the two male-female dancers too

dunno also why they opted for the motto duality as olympics are in general 1 passion, 1 love, 1 etc...

i think in general that the videos spread troughout whole the ceremony were the only adhesive element 

that cherrished up the ceremony şn its total.. 

aonother final question is: wich was the better hand-over-video;

1// paris 2024 from tokyo 2020 +1

2// OR milano-cortina from beyjing 2022

bye bye beijing ^_^

1 minute ago, munichfan said:

I hope this isn't going too off-topic here, but honestly, nobody asks for a referendum when we're talking about a UEFA Euro or European Champs or the Universiade or major infrastructure programs. I just fear that now we have had the precedents for 2022 and 2024, it will be hard to go these last three steps back.

Very true.

1 minute ago, Olympian2004 said:

Let's hope so. It would be a stupid location indeed. It killed me already to take that long S-Bahn ride to the airport through that area each time.

Once SAP Garden is finally done (they sure are taking their time. Cyclists will have to start at the expo centre this August, because it doesn't get finished in time) the Olympia-Eissportzentrum at the Olympic Park will be without a tenant and super outdated. If a new arena is to come, that would be the prime spot (it's right next to the subway, as well).

Thanks for the information, @munichfan!

Well, I think that I don't have to change anything about my verdict about these Games after this closing ceremony: If it hadn't been for the athletes, it would have been an empty shell, like a Potemkin village. Thomas Bach will pat his own back for creating a new market with 300 million new winter sports enthusiasts (LOL) and for being nestled deep in Xi's behind, the IOC will count the money and Xi will continue to suppress his own citizens. So everything's perfect in the bizarre world of Thomas Bach. Just like the bloodless "perfection" of this closing ceremony.

But on a positive note, I will miss having the opportunity to have a nice, sarcastic discussion with you all for the next two-and-a-half years until Paris will start its opening ceremony (which will hopefully not be the mess that I am dreading). It was truly comforting to see that many of you are also fed up with the farce presented to us by Fencing 76 and his dubious friends.

21 minutes ago, munichfan said:

Once SAP Garden is finally done (they sure are taking their time. Cyclists will have to start at the expo centre this August, because it doesn't get finished in time) the Olympia-Eissportzentrum at the Olympic Park will be without a tenant and super outdated. If a new arena is to come, that would be the prime spot (it's right next to the subway, as well).

Don’t forget the park is pursuing a bid for UNESCO heritage. That will complicate future construction if it passes.

So judging by the posts here, sounds like didn't miss much. NBC didn't even bother to have it live like they did with the opening. Just as well, since there are more dire, global matters happening right now to be really concerned about, than about a propaganda show that's just filled with contradictory cliches anyway, while (eastern) Europe teeters on the brink of war.

2 hours ago, fatixxx said:

italy has sought for a idea to combine the city-cluster of milan with the mountain-cluster of cortina

by the following motto: DUALITY, TOGETHER via composed lines of city-map and mountain-topography lines

not only on the gigantic led-screen BUT ALSO

these map-topography PATTERNS were transfered on the suits of the two male-female dancers too

dunno also why they opted for the motto duality as olympics are in general 1 passion, 1 love, 1 etc...

i think in general that the videos spread troughout whole the ceremony were the only adhesive element 

that cherrished up the ceremony şn its total.. 

aonother final question is: wich was the better hand-over-video;

1// paris 2024 from tokyo 2020 +1

2// OR milano-cortina 2026 from beyjing 2022

bye bye beijing ^_^

[i want eventually quote my own message]

the promotional-beauty promo-video of italy was more established on the 'second-level-administration element'

namely the provinces of: LOMARDİA (the city cluster) & VENETO (the mountain cluster)

but still thinking about the weak motto; DUALİTY, TOGETHER

maybe it would have been better into: TOGETHER @ Bİ-LOCATİON GAMES

or WİNTER PASSİON @ Bİ-LOCATİON GAMES

this would have been more concrete towards the wider public

Thank you for pointing that out, @JMarkSnow2012. I can view the video as well, so maybe it is not geo-blocked at all. Good to see it in its entirety so quickly after the ceremony. Due to the ARD cutting out of the broadcast prematurely, I didn't know that there was an additional dance number after the "Auld Lang Syne".