Trouble in paradise...

‘Tremendous coldness’: IOC president condemns Kamila Valieva’s entourage

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2022/feb/18/tremendous-coldness-ioc-president-slams-kamila-valievas-entourage-over-skaters-treatment

Russian Deputy Prime Minister claims Bach comments on Valieva "inappropriate and wrong"

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1119453/chernyshenko-criticises-bach-valieva

• Haha 2

Darn it. Was hoping to find online a Downfall "Hitler reacts to Beijing 2022 women's figure skating" meme video, and nothing yet. This would've been ripe for one of those. I see there's Hitler reacts to Cats, Hitler reacts to Political Correctness, Hitler reacts to Jojo Rabbit, and others, but nothing yet for the Beijing Olympics.

2 hours ago, Sir Rols said:

I saw Bach’s comments yesterday. That’s about as stern I’ve ever seen an IOC president be at a games. I’d like to think he was turning a bit, but ….. it’s still Bach

I wouldn't put too much stock into Bach`s comments. They were nothing more than a token to acknowledge the sham that had taken place.

When the dust from this settles, Russia's ban is going to end as scheduled (CAS already shortened it and they've ruled in favor of Russia yet again) and I would put Russia as a serious contender for the 2036 Olympics 

Q:  I saw Bach’s comments yesterday. That’s about as stern I’ve ever seen an IOC president be at a games. I’d like to think he was turning a bit, but ….. it’s still Bach

I was amazed he actually sad something caring - it took the mental collapse of a couple of 15 year olds, but perhaps he does have a heart and isn't a robot?

As for Putin giving him a spanking, I thought Germans liked that sort of thing? :)

• Like 1

Wanted to offer this up, it's worth a listen as it features 2014 Sochi competitor (for the USA) Polina Edmunds and her thoughts on the debacle.   She has some interesting direct observations about the Russians, training methods, etc.   Polina, though born and raised in Silicon Valley area, is half-Russian herself (mother) and is well versed in the culture and language.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mub-YXONxyo

"The Skating Lesson" channel is hosted by Dave Lease and Jonathan Beyer, two long-time skating fans that are viewed as quasi-journalists by most everyone who follows skating.  They cop a lot of flak for various reasons, and some of their interviews provoke quite a few negative reactions.  I don't regularly follow them, but this is one session worth watching.  

58 minutes ago, jiejie said:

"The Skating Lesson" channel is hosted by Dave Lease and Jonathan Beyer, two long-time skating fans that are viewed as quasi-journalists by most everyone who follows skating.  They cop a lot of flak for various reasons, and some of their interviews provoke quite a few negative reactions.  I don't regularly follow them, but this is one session worth watching.  

TSL is almost always better when they have guests like Edmunds or Meagan Duhamel (2018 team gold, 2018 pairs bronze) than when they're on their own (those are the sessions to take with a hearty grain of salt).

Kamila shouldn't feel too bad.  Even a historic winner's record has been disqualified and overturned in the history books.  

Medina Spirit's 2021 Kentucky Derby win has been nullified and horse trainer Bob Baffert is suspended - CNN 

And Medina Spirit died in December.  At least Kamila's only 15 and she can come back with a vengeance!!  

1 hour ago, Scotguy II said:

The world championships are in France next month - surely the French will ban Russia from competing.

First, the Russians would have to make it to France. Quite difficult with all the closed airspace at least in Europe.

But yeah, can't see them competing.

Shouldn't the IPC by now also consider what is going to happen with the Paralympics? I mean, all that meaningless chatter about not playing anthems or showing flags cannot be the last word? Full exclusion N-O-W.

6 hours ago, StefanMUC said:

Shouldn't the IPC by now also consider what is going to happen with the Paralympics? I mean, all that meaningless chatter about not playing anthems or showing flags cannot be the last word? Full exclusion N-O-W.

I'm sure they're trying to figure out all the legalities, liabilities, etc., if it's a watered-down competition.  China, of course, will not ban the Russian athletes -- but will the other countries now want to play with them?  So, where will the competition be?  

32 minutes ago, FYI said:

I guess Xixi didn't really care about the Paralympics. He just wanted Poo-tin to wait until at least after the "regular" Olympics were over. 

No.  In traditional Chinese priorities, handicapped people are imperfect beings.  Why do you think the emperors and mandarins bound the feet of their concubines and classified it as "beautiful and elite"?  So they couldn't run away; that's why. 

'A high caste lady's dainty 'lily feet', showing method of deformity', China, 1900. Artist: Underwood & Underwood : News Photo

now that the tide has literally turned, overnight, from russia gets the benefit of the doubt in all things — to complete condemnation, i'm wondering if we'll see some actual justice in the valieva drama. 

strip her medal and kill her career with a lengthy ban. then submit all russian (oops "ROC") samples from beijing to expedited testing. 

16 hours ago, krow said:

kill her career with a lengthy ban.

Even though this case should be judged accordingly, i dont think that´s right. She´s just a child, she may have been forced to by their entourage to take the drug. In the end of the day, she is the victim to the adults around her; if she took it winglly, that may be another story but her age may make that unlikely.