25 minutes ago, krow said:

i blame johnny weir for everything, always, until the end of time, but even i can't help agreeing with him. 

Did you see him in that awful streaming series”Spinning Out”? An original and innovative series following a talented skater girl from the wrong side of he tracks who teams up with an obnoxious preppie guy for pairs, and romantic tension sizzles between them. He was a major backing star in that - the bitchy/sardonic but likeable gay rival pairs skater. That’s the sort of crap I have to put up with/compromise with at Chez Rols. 

Edited by Sir Rols
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Sir Rols said:

He was a major backing star in that - the bitchy/sardonic but likeable gay rival pairs skater. That’s the sort of crap I have to put up with/compromise with at Chez Rols. 

Now, now there. That's what a relationship is all about, though - compromise. :lol:

The ladies programme normally a highlight for me, but i have decided to boycott watching it due to this issue. i cant consciously watch a sports event when there has been blatant cheating by teams/coaches and/or individuals.

15 year olds are different today to when i was 15, they are more like 25..... i think she may well have known what was going on.

• Sad 1

Valieva suffered more irreparable harm competing then not. Congratulations CAS. She should have been suspended, even for her own wellbeing given the coaches she have and will discard her like trash. I confess, I was rooting so she got 4th at least, but the way it happened really was sad.

Hopefully, whoever forced the kid to take all that medication gets a good boot and Valieva actually gets a decent coach someday.

Also, hopefully the scumbags in charge get exposed and rightfully convicted. And hopefully that mass don't end with a marquee sport being struck with irreparable harm for real. If nothing else, this could actually kill the Winter Olympics. It wasn't China's government, it wasn't the IOC demands. It was the same problem as 2014.

If real bad stuff come to light it will be ACTUALLY SILLY to not give Russia a ban this time. It's the third strike already.

• Like 2

Just read (haven‘t had time to watch yet) that Katarina Witt burst out in tears on German TV, saying they threw Valieva to the lions. 

Can hardly disagree with that. CAS claimed to protect her from irreparable harm but that is exactly what happened here. It‘s basically child abuse at the biggest possible stage in the brightest spotlight. 

So, question to all the sages here:  If they didn't have the DUMB team event, would this whole scandal have turned out LESS DAMAGING to poor Kamilla?  I think that Team Event set off the whole unfortunate chain of events. 

She would have been suspended much earlier, i.e., saving her the embarrassment of having to compete in the Singles event yesterday.

1 minute ago, StefanMUC said:

Valieva was not (initially) suspended because she was part of the winning team, but because she was doped in December.

That I understand.  But the doping results (from Russian nationals rather than the Euros?) came in between the end of the Team competition and the awarding of the medals.  If they didn't have the Team event, and the results came in when they did, then Kamilla would've been immediately banned and everything else would've proceeded without the last-minute wrinkles and added drama.  I guess that was my point.  The Team Event just complicated things because now, they suspended the medal ceremonies, denying the US and Japanese athletes (and the other Russian skaters) the medal moment.  

But the test result was always the same, team event or not. And the Russians would have fought a suspension just the same as well.
Yes, the team event is complicated now because it lacks closure, but that could only have been prevented with an earlier test result - and also acceptance of the ban by the Russians, which would have been extremely unlikely in any case.

The whole disaster however could have been prevented some years ago if the IOC, CAS, WADA, IFs, you name them had treated Russia the way it deserved for its dirty tricks, including an outright ban no matter what acronym they would put in place of RUS.

Russia would have fought tooth and nail to let her skate in the Women's event, regardless of the Team Event.  She was the odds-on favorite, and with good reason, given how she skated the entire season up until today.

I lay the blame fully at the feet of that ridiculous CAS appeal panel who determined that not letting her skate would cause "irreparable harm".  After seeing her melting down before our eyes on the ice and the post-competition reactions from everyone...  It's tragic.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

If they didn't have the DUMB team event, would this whole scandal have turned out LESS DAMAGING to poor Kamilla? 

The Team Event, of all things, it´s the least problematic of the bunch, i can assure you. The real damage was done with this whole debacle, independent of the Team Event even if it´s related to it.

• Like 1

Haven’t watched it yet, but have been reading up on what happened. This excerpt from The Guardian really got my blood boiling:

To make matters worse after enduring the longest four minutes and 20 seconds of her life, Valieva then had her coach, Eteri Tutberidze, barking in her ear. “Why did you let it go?” she demanded. “Explain to me, why. Why did you stop fighting? You let it go after that axel. Why?”

Tutberidze, whose training methods are as brutal as her success is undeniable, has a nickname: Cruella de Vil. This, though, was a moment for a comforting hug, not an audition for a role as a Hollywood super villain.

What recurse is there to start an investigation of Cruella?

3 take-aways from this:

1.  Vlady will delay the invasion for 2 days since two of his gals are going home with the gold and silver.

2.  There are the Worlds next month in Torino.  Maybe Kamila's road to recovery will be back?

2. She will survive this.  She didn't look totally crushed after she performed.  Those Russians are tough.  What does't kill ya will only make you stronger.  My God, she's only 15.  She'll be an old 19 by Milano time.  

Her family will probably get a new dacha when she gets back.  I hope they do.  Or at least a new Lada!! 

See the source image

2 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

3 take-aways from this:

1.  Vlady will delay the invasion for 2 days since two of his gals are going home with the gold and silver.

2.  There are the Worlds next month in Torino Montpellier.  Maybe Kamila's road to recovery will be back?

2. She will survive this.  She didn't look totally crushed after she performed.  Those Russians are tough.  What does't kill ya will only make you stronger.  My God, she's only 15.  She'll be an old 19 by Milano time.  

Worlds will be in Montpellier.  Torino is host to the Grand Prix Final next season.  I seriously doubt we will see Kamila there.  She has already been discarded by Eteri & Co, given the way they treated her post-skate.

I don't know what you saw, from the post-competition footage but, Valieva looked absolutely devastated.  There was no joy or happiness.  The woman talking to her after she was deserted by Eteri, Sergei Dudakov (technical coach for Team Tutberidze) and Danny G (their crap choreographer) was a Channel 1 producer or production assistant.  They didn't even stick with her to console her once she was off the podium, and they've already gotten grandpa to take the fall for the TMZ in her system, even though they're going to demand the B sample be tested because they don't believe that it was really in her system.  FWIW (not much), Bach in his press conference today called the treatment of Valieva by her entourage "chilling".  And that's exactly what it was.

The problem with Valieva (and Shcherbakova and Trusova and most of the other skaters at Sambo-70) is that they have pretty shoddy jump technique that isn't being properly dinged by the judging system currently, and the technique they're using relies on remaining as light and small as possible.  Raising the age minimum will help, but fixing the way the tech panels call rotation on jumps would also de-incentivize the shoddy technique that relies on abusive practices to keep these girls as tiny as possible for as long as possible.

I have no idea whether or not we'll see Valieva again on the international competitive stage.  She is talented as heck but after today...  One has to wonder if she'll ever be the same competitor she was before the past 3 days.

• Thanks 1