ITA confirms Russia’s Kamila Valieva tested positive for banned substance

Probably deserves her own thread now.

Gotta say, really disappointed in this. Was really looking forward to watching her compete, and loved what I’d seen so far. But what a can of worms now! Biggest skating scandal since Tonya and Nancy surely 

Russia trolls are already jumping to defense "theyre trying to destroy the reputation of a 15 year old who made a mistake!  But but but what about the USA and the football players in the NFL?!"  

If there isnt a museum in St Petersburg to Whataboutism as a philosophical practice yet, that would be a disappointment.  

And this from ITG

The International Testing Agency (ITA) has confirmed an appeal is ongoing to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) after the Russian Anti-Doping Agency (RUSADA) lifted a provisional suspension imposed on figure skating star Kamila Valieva.

The ITA released a statement confirming Valieva had tested positive for trimetazidine during the 2022 Russian Figure Skating Championships in Saint Petersburg on December 25.

A World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA)-accredited laboratory in Stockholm confirmed an adverse analytical finding on February 8.

That was the same day the team figure skating medals were due to be awarded at Beijing 2022, leading to the suspension of the medal ceremony.

Valieva challenged a provisional suspension, which the RUSADA Disciplinary Anti-Doping Committee lifted on February 9.

How in hell did RUSADA get the right to just lift the suspension?

28 minutes ago, Sir Rols said:

ITA confirms Russia’s Kamila Valieva tested positive for banned substance

Probably deserves her own thread now.

Gotta say, really disappointed in this. Was really looking forward to watching her compete, and loved what I’d seen so far. But what a can of worms now! Biggest skating scandal since Tonya and Nancy surely 

2002 pairs was more controversial than Tonya and Nancy as it exposed a whole Russian bias and voting scandal.

I was glad Kerrigan didn't win gold in Lillehammer as her attitude stunk, there is the famous video of her reacting to Oksana's win.

So does this mean that Valieva misses the woman's skate? or will they test a B sample?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Scotguy II said:

So does this mean that Valieva misses the woman's skate? or will they test a B sample?

As the situation stands:

The International Olympic Committee (IOC) has appealed the decision to lift the provisional suspension through the ITA, who are responsible for drugs testing at these Games, due to the need for an outcome in the case prior to the women's singles event next week.

As it stands, Valieva will be free to compete in the women's singles event which is due to start next Tuesday (February 15). 

Should the IOC succeed in its appeal at CAS, the provisional suspension would be imposed and would prevent Valieva from competing.

2 minutes ago, Sir Rols said:

As the situation stands:

Interesting..... if the IOC fail and she goes on to win gold then the **** will truly hit the ice....

I wonder if she is allowed to compete we will see any female skaters withdraw from the competition in protest.

43 minutes ago, iceman530 said:

Russia trolls are already jumping to defense "theyre trying to destroy the reputation of a 15 year old who made a mistake! 

Even IF, the big if, she’s the innocent little 15-year-old who trusted her team doctors and didn’t know what she was taking, what does that say of the Russian team medical staff? Actually, that’s probably what’s the Russkis will do, throw one of their doctors under the bus in order to get Kamila off the hook…. Or just continue to defiantly deny

• Like 1

I am half Russian and i am certainly not going to defend her or her team. I am annoyed that yet again this is happening especially since she has obvious superstar potential.

This stinks of the days of the 70's and 80's when the Soviets pumped their female gymnasts full of drugs and subjected them to physical, mental and sexual abuse in a quest for glory :(

The story of Elena Mukhina shows the lengths they will go to to win gold. if you don't know her story i recommend you look it up, especially the video of Moscow 1980 when the soviet organisers where downplaying her absence form the games knowing full well she was in hospital paralysed from the neck down.

• Like 2

any athlete or NOC with integrity would simply withdraw from the rest of the games.

so naturally i expect ROC to fight to the death to keep her in, putting everyone else in an impossible situation, because this is bloodsport to them and they enjoy the chaos.

they've done much worse than this and what's happened? they took away their flag, big deal. 

…. and an appeal has started after  RUSADA lifted the ban.  The appeal against the lifting of the ban could prevent her from competing in the singles next week.

“Valieva challenged a provisional suspension, which the RUSADA Disciplinary Anti-Doping Committee lifted on February 9.”

This reminds me of the definition of insanity, keep doing the same thing over and over, expecting to get different results.  Somehow, the Russians are able to do that!  Why are they making decisions about her suspension?  Why are they overseeing anything pertaining to their athlete's testing?  You would think that of all the Russian athletes, they would be the most careful in the spotlighted sport of figure skating, but as mentioned before, they went to great extremes to win in 2002.  It is sad to see someone that has such natural talent getting caught up in all of this.  She will now be one of those athletes that will have an asterisk following her name.  Here's an idea, maybe they need to start a new truce, that along with wars, countries won't cheat.  One can dream.....

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SkiFreak said:

She'll get booted out and banned. Make a comeback in ladies doubles, and attempt an Iron Lotus!

Hell yes, I love a good comeback story in the face of adversity!  Will they be skating to Lady Humps?  Who will be her partner?  She needs to have a bit of a mean, rough streak to her. Tonya would have been perfect back in the day.  

5 minutes ago, Scotguy II said:

I am half Russian and i am certainly not going to defend her or her team. I am annoyed that yet again this is happening especially since she has obvious superstar potential.

It makes about as much sense as 18-20 year old Christiano Ronaldo taking PEDs, she was obviously a heavy favorite.  It would take multiple levels of stupid to do that willingly, but..........here we are.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, iceman530 said:

Hell yes, I love a good comeback story in the face of adversity!  Will they be skating to Lady Humps?  Who will be her partner?  She needs to have a bit of a mean, rough streak to her. Tonya would have been perfect back in the day.  

But does she brush her hair with a Verticoli? Handmade in Italy, and carved out of illegal whalebone.

• Haha 1

It increases blood flow, which helps for greater endurance.

While it may not seem so obviously useful for figure skating, it can help training more intensely, eventually maybe also allowing to build up what is needed for quadruple jumps.

Not surprising that Russia, sorry the ROC, is really pulling all strings now. Bach, Xina, everyone must be supermad at this, but nobody will dare to admit a) because Russia and b) a minor is involved.

• Like 1

51875042218_0f07114a94.jpg

i agree with this very much. I think it goes right down to the exploitation, pressure and abuse of under-age athletes. I feel sorry for her. It’s her support, and especially medical, team I have contempt for.

I’m reminded of Tokyo, and the double standards where there was a fair bit of tut-tuting about a 13-year-old Chinese gymnast and questions about the pressure she was under, yet just days earlier there was approval and joy at the sight of 13-year-old skateboarding medalists from Japan and Britain (who, to be fair, seemed happy, friendly together and genuinely pleased for each other).  On one hand I do like the fact the Olympics is supposed to be about the best of the best. On the other hand… maybe there should indeed be an age limit on competitors. Perhaps 16 so we don’t get the situation that some competitors are “protected” persons and therefore not subject to the same rules as the others. Leave the under-16s to the YOGs - it might give those games some purpose. 

Edited by Sir Rols
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2