Rio 2007 Pan American Games

Andrew, aparently I am the only one who updates the thread. Since there are only those 'ho-hum' news from the official site and the real news are only in Portuguese (which unfortunately I don´t have time to translate it), the thread gets old and slips out of the 30-day window.

If you can read, it is here

If you can help me on this, I would be glad.

Andrew, aparently I am the only one who updates the thread. Since there are only those 'ho-hum' news from the official site and the real news are only in Portuguese (which unfortunately I don´t have time to translate it), the thread gets old and slips out of the 30-day window.

If you can read, it is here

If you can help me on this, I would be glad.

Well I can try my best, but I don't speak portuguese   :help:, though I have a friend in Reciefe who can help me. I will do wat I can, but there is very little information coming my way at the moment, I don't know why?

• 2 weeks later...
Has RIO announced who will produce their Opening and Closing Ceremonies?

I would think it would be somebody local.  I mean it's not like the PANAM TV coverage is worldwide.  And besides, what would one expect from a Rio ceremony?  Carnavale, of course!

Well, I guess you guys are mind readers, specially you Baron, although from what I saw at the Closing Ceremony at Santo Domingo I could fear that.

Let´s hope at least THIS won´t be screwed by our head chiefs in office  :sniffle:

From the official website:

-----------------------

ROSA MAGALHÃES AND LUIZ STEIN IN COMMAND OF RIO 2007 CEREMONIES

5/18/2006

The Organizing Committee of the Pan American Games Rio 2007 (CO-RIO) has just hired the leading team that will design the Opening and Closing Ceremonies of the Pan American Games Rio 2007 that will take place at the Maracanã Stadium and produced with funding provided by the federal administration. Besides the traditional features like the presentation of delegations, athletes and referees being sworn-in and the arrival of the Pan American flag and the flame, that will be kept lighted throughout the period of the Games, it is in these the Ceremonies that the host country has the opportunity to present the local culture. To direct this performance, two of the most important of contemporary artists in Brazil have been selected: plastic artist, costume designer, scenographer and carnival designer, Rosa Magalhães and scenographer and designer Luiz Stein.

Rosa Magalhães, the general director of the Ceremonies, has in her CV the experience acquired in several Carnivals. She started in the Samba School Salgueiro, in 1971. And, from then on, she worked with several other Samba Schools like Beija-flor, Portela, Império Serrano and Imperatriz Leopoldinense, for which she won 1994, 1995, 1999, 2000 and 2001 awards. Rosa has also produced set designs and costumes for theater plays, exhibits and ballets. "We have the obligation to produce a show that will make Brazilian people proud. And to achieve this goal, we will be working very hard. Every minute is important", Rosa commented. And, she doesnt want to loose any time: on Wednesday, May 17, she went to Maracanã with Luiz Stein to check the venue where Ceremonies will take place.

Director Luiz Stein brings to this project his experience as a scenographer of several shows designed for Lulu Santos, Ivete Sangalo, Elba Ramalho, Barão Vermelho, and other artists and art exhibits, advertisement campaigns and cinema. As a designer, Stein produced music album covers, directed fashion shows, fashion campaigns and catalogues, besides visual programming for theater plays. Standing on the lawn of Maracanã, he joked and drew a comparison with competitions to explain the significance of his work. "To an artist, producing these ceremonies is as important as championship finals to an athlete: a peak time of his career", Luiz Stein said.

Together, Rosa e Stein will design the Ceremonies, in an extremely confidential and full time process, which should last till the end of this year - the secrecy about the surprise each ceremony will bring to the public is a strong tradition of this type of event. They will be managing a team of about 200 people who will be directly involved in the production and about eight thousand performers. The first auditions of the artist groups who will be selected to take part in the Ceremonies should start still in 2006.

To choose the core team of the Ceremonies, CO-RIO had been looking for professionals with experience in large events. CO-RIO General Marketing Manager, Leonardo Gryner, explained that a critical factor in the choice is the accrued experience of the professionals. "The selection of professionals with experience in large live events in open spaces and shows with a large number of participants was of the utmost importance", Gryner explained. It is forecasted that there will be an audience of 90 thousand people at each of the two Ceremonies that are expected to last for two or three hours.

Another relevant contribution to the success of the Opening and Closing Ceremonies is the support provided by International Olympic Committee (IOC) consultant of ceremonies and creative aspects, Scott Givens, who will assist in the planning of Rio 2007 Ceremonies. Givens has a broad experience in events of this kind once he took part in the Olympic Games Atlanta -1996, and the Winter Olympic Games Nagano - 1998 and Salt Lake City-2002, in which he was the director of the Opening and Closing Ceremonies. Givens will be a member of a Ceremony Advisory and Approval Committee, that will also count on the participation of former TV-GLOBO Vice-President of Operations, José Bonifácio de Oliveira Sobrinho, nicknamed Boni, the President of CO-RIO and BOC, Carlos Arthur Nuzman, CO-RIO General Secretary, Carlos Roberto Osório, and CO-RIO General Marketing Manager, Leonardo Gryner.

Has RIO announced who will produce their Opening and Closing Ceremonies?

I would think it would be somebody local.  I mean it's not like the PANAM TV coverage is worldwide.  And besides, what would one expect from a Rio ceremony?  Carnavale, of course!

Well, I guess you guys are mind readers, specially you Baron, although from what I saw at the Closing Ceremony at Santo Domingo I could fear that.

I mean that's easy enough to guess.  It's not like Brazil would feature Mounties or Beefeaters or balalaika players.  

Scott Givens, who will assist in the planning of Rio 2007 Ceremonies. Givens has a broad experience in events of this kind once he took part in the Olympic Games Atlanta -1996, and the Winter Olympic Games Nagano - 1998 and Salt Lake City-2002, in which he was the director of the Opening and Closing Ceremonies.

Actually, that's an exaggeration.  Givens was Creative Director in Salt Lake -- and was also one of the doofuses responsible for picking the cursed Vancouver logo - Ilanaaq!  His name popped up again in the San Francisco papers today because apparently, he is now a big name on the SF 2016 Exploratory Committee.

Ah, stadia, bread and circuses..or circii.  Notice how we never tire of them?  More photos, please!   :wink:

You mean, so far the Engenhao looks like some other famous Italian coliseum? :-)

Well, apparently it looks like this for quite some time and it will look like this for quite some time.

Those are the photos from the official sites. There is not much else to show, because they are very, very late regarding the building of the stadiums.

I don´t live near the main stadiums/gymnasiums/sites, (actually I live near the rowing stadium, but there is no construction so far) so I can´t take more pictures. If someone else can enter at the race track and prove that there is nothing building there so far (look at my signature below).

Scott Givens, who will assist in the planning of Rio 2007 Ceremonies. Givens has a broad experience in events of this kind once he took part in the Olympic Games Atlanta -1996, and the Winter Olympic Games Nagano - 1998 and Salt Lake City-2002, in which he was the director of the Opening and Closing Ceremonies.

Actually, that's an exaggeration.  Givens was Creative Director in Salt Lake -- and was also one of the doofuses responsible for picking the cursed Vancouver logo - Ilanaaq!  His name popped up again in the San Francisco papers today because apparently, he is now a big name on the SF 2016 Exploratory Committee.

They always exagerate here. It is perfectly normal.

Then, if it goes wrong, the media will say "Oh, so he wasn´t exactly the director of Salt Lake, how come CO-Rio never realized that"

Anyway, from all the lies I´ve been hearing here, this is harmless...

• 5 months later...

Ok, things were quiet for a couple of months, but with 8 months before the PanAm Games begin, here are some real update pictures of the 2 biggest venues that are being built: The PanAmerican Stadium and the Race Track Arena/Velodrome/Aquatic Park at Nelson Piquet Race Track in Jacarepagua.

All pictures were taken from this site: Rio de Janeiro Photo Gallery which, by the way, has other pictures of the city which are real nice, even for those who live here, like me ;)

Sorry I can´t put it straight here, but the pictures are HUGE:

Race Track Venue:

Before (1)

Before (2)

Pictures taken at October 31st 2006

After

Aquatic Park Close-up

Arena Close-up (1)

Arena Close-up (2)

Comments: The struggle for the Race Track continues but, as you can see, now only the Arena was built inside the track. The velodrome is the open space above the North Turn and the Aquatic Park is on the lower left. Even if the official media didn´t show, like they are showing for other venues, like the Marina da Gloria venue for sailing, there was a backstage fight in the courts. I guess no one has won, but it reached some midterm where the track can be recuperated IF the city hall wants to.

Olympic (Actually PanAmerican) Stadium

Before (some day in the past, don´t ask)

Pictures taken at October 31st 2006

After (1)

After (2)

After (3)

Comments: It looks a little better right now, but the construction is VERY slow. The company who is building the stadium has monthly pictures. If any one wants to keep in touch, click HERE. In "Arquivos de Fotos" on the upper right, there are, literally, hundreds of pictures.

Anyone care to comment?

I managed to find the links for the latest site. Those are the pictures for compartison of the last 9 months.

Updates February 2006

17_31.jpg

17_32.jpg

17_35.jpg

17_36.jpg

March 2006

17_48.jpg

17_50.jpg

17_54.jpg

17_52.jpg

April 2006

17_76.jpg

17_75.jpg

17_78.jpg

June 2006

17_123.jpg

17_122.jpg

17_126.jpg

July 2006

17_133.jpg

17_128.jpg

17_129.jpg

April 2006

17_76.jpg

17_75.jpg

17_78.jpg

June 2006

17_123.jpg

17_122.jpg

17_126.jpg

July 2006

17_133.jpg

17_128.jpg

17_129.jpg

Sorry for the double replying the previous post.

Finishing now:

August 2006

17_169.jpg

17_168.jpg

17_172.jpg

September 2006

17_192.jpg

17_191.jpg

17_188.jpg

No pics from above in October 2006, but there is the other picture I linked before to show the actual stadium.

Baron,

My point was to show how slow they are building the stadium in the past few months. I know it sounds boring, but I had to show it.

• 2 months later...

Baron will be 'happy' with that.

As you can see above, the pics from the one of the companies which are building the Engenhao, were removed from the site.

This is just wonderful, not happy with delaying the construction, they are now removing any trace of their lack of competence to complete the job on time.

And then there are still those folks here who defend them.

I can see what is coming next: deny everything bad related to the Games.

Archived