Continental Games losing their appeal?

I thought about touching on this in one of the CWGs threads but figured it'd be better as it's own topic. The crisis of the CWGs and the lack of a host for 2026 has been discussed but looking at other continental (intercontinental for the CWGs) games there is a declining interest in the likes of the Pan Ams, Asiad, and the troubled European Games. Only Barranquilla put forth a bid for the 2027 Pan Ams on the heels of only Santiago for the 2023 edition after Buenos Aires withdrew. Three straight in South America with no interest from anywhere else. The 2022 Asian Games had one bidder, Hangzhou. Only Nagoya put forth a bid for 2026 while the OCA did a double with Doha and Riyadh and no other interested hosts. 

Perhaps these events just aren't seen as profitable anymore and just don't attract the attention or prestige they once did. Frankly I think the likes of PASO and the OCA need to scale down to make the Games more attractive. The OCA in particular seems relegated to authoritarian regimes while PASO is stuck with South America and the European Games can't get out of Eastern Europe.

• 3 weeks later...

I think the Commonwealth Games are just increasingly irrelevant.   If it wasn't for Australian interest they'd probably be long gone - and arguably the Aussie interest stems from them not having a continental games they regularly compete in themselves, though there is talk of them joining the Asian Games.

The European Games just took too long to get off the ground and being effectively boycotted by a few major sports meant they were never taken seriously.   The European Sport Championships kind of worked better, but if they could come together for a proper Eurolympics there is a chance moving forward that movement could gain strength - ideally they'd have both summer and winter versions and perhaps put some of the traditional European host cities back in favour again.  

14 minutes ago, Brekkie Boy said:

I think the Commonwealth Games are just increasingly irrelevant.   If it wasn't for Australian interest they'd probably be long gone - and arguably the Aussie interest stems from them not having a continental games they regularly compete in themselves, though there is talk of them joining the Asian Games.

Australia is getting close to being awarded the 2026 Commonwealth Games in Melbourne and Victoria.

Interesting re Australia at he Asian Games. We already compete at the Asian winter games and are set to compete in this year’s summer games, but only in five sports - soccer, basketball, volleyball, beach volleyball and fencing. Apparently the formula is we are restricted to sports which qualify through Asian competitions for the 2024 Olympic Games.

I doubt many Aussies will notice though. The thing the Commies have is competition in sports we are competitive in against long standing and traditional rivals like England and NZ. Soccer/football is different - joining the AFC made sense because we didn’t have any real football rivalries or traditions, had no real competition in Oceania and could be competitive in Asia.

That said, I think the Commies are a spent force. I think it will be a struggle to keep them going beyond 2030. A last hurrah at Hamilton could be a fitting conclusion.

Edited by Sir Rols
  • Like 1