Over 73% polled support Pyrenees-Barcelona 2030 Olympic bid with referendum planned for spring

GBModerator

According to a Catalan government poll taken in December, over 73 per cent across the region support a bid to host the 2030 Olympic Winter Games in Pyrenees and Barcelona. The results of the survey obtained by the Catalan News Agency tabulate responses from 1,506 people across Catalonia including Alt Pirineu and Aran Veguería and […]

The post Over 73% polled support Pyrenees-Barcelona 2030 Olympic bid with referendum planned for spring appeared first on GamesBids.com.

View the full article

1 hour ago, FYI said:

Interesting poll numbers. Let's see what the referendum says, though.

Given the source is the Catalan government I highly suspect these numbers are inflated. It's the equivalent of Democratic pollsters showing Biden would win Pennsylvania by 20 percentage points.

Among other topics, Thomas Bach talks about the method of gauging public support for a Spanish candidature in this ATR report:

——————————————————————————

Source: Thomas Bach praises the Winter Games as “a very safe environment”:  “The nervousness is more back home and the roads to Beijing” - 27Jan2022 - Around The Rings

ATR Journalist:  Sebastian A. FestEd Hula:  “Spain aspires to host the 2030 Winter Olympics and is preparing a popular consultation. Are you comfortable with this method?”

Thomas Bach: “I’ve been reading this in Around the Rings, they have this intention. What is important, and I’m not interfering too much in the future host commision, I have to be very cautious, but I’m not going too far in saying that the public support is important for the qualification of the candidates.”

”It must be up to each interested party to find the appropriate way to find evidence of public support. Again, as I’ve read in Around the Rings, they have chosen this public consultation. If they do so I have full trust it’s the appropriate way for the Spanish Olympic Committee and interested parties.

A poll of 1,506  is nothing. Most people are probably supporting it just out of vanity and contempt toward Aragon (their rival province) rather than actual benefits from hosting the games, but once an actual Referendum kicks in, you'll see who is really supporting this.

1,506 is a decent smpling size, if conducted correctly.

The way the second paragraph is written, however, suggests to me something that is framed heavily to create artificial support for the bid. My uneducated guess is they first gave a list of possible upsides of the bid/games, then asked which one of these they do see as most important for the region and only then asked people if they support the bid.