Just now, yoshi said:

Didn't someone write during Tokyo that the IOC now owns the rights to Imagine? So does it have official status now as a sort of joint Olympic anthem?

If that's true... That does explain a lot. 

Anyway, my thoughts.

The ceremony wasn't bad per se, there was actually one major eyebrow rising moment and that was right after Hong Kong marched in the broadcast. I also wouldn't be surprised if the singing in the dove segment was pre-recorded, but it was all alright. Highlights for me would be the ice box to Olympic rings segment, the forming of the snowflake, the beginning along with the Chinese lunisolar calendar countdown. 

About the calduron, I have to say; I actually laughed for a bit when it was revealed, but it does match the theme of being together for a shared future with all country snow flakes united.

Also, does the girls reading in one of the photos during that time people were walking in line ughur? Or it's just me seeing things?

6 minutes ago, Australian Kiwi said:

Atlanta's ceremonies are awesome - my favourite American ceremony so far. They're not perfect but they came from the heart. 

Atlanta ceremonies are underrated. They got too much hate initially by people who thought they were a copycat of Barcelona, but I always enjoy rewatching them.

1 minute ago, JMarkSnow2012 said:

I think Rio pretty much nailed the "tiny but hugely impactful" cauldron thing, but now everybody is trying to avoid copying them because copying is frowned on.

I wouldn't even mind the Rio cauldron being shipped from Olympic host city to Olympic host city. It was imaginative and impressive despite the size of its flame. That would be truly sustainable. They don't have to reinvent the wheel all over again for each opening ceremony if they already start playing "Imagine" and copying other ideas from earlier ceremonies.

3 minutes ago, AustralianFan said:

That includes you buddy.  You’re in this thread along with the rest of us.

I just came here to see the reaction. While I do enjoy a good ceremony, I watch the Olympics for the sports so I'm not overly upset.

17 minutes ago, yoshi said:

Didn't someone write during Tokyo that the IOC now owns the rights to Imagine? So does it have official status now as a sort of joint Olympic anthem?

It may be more subtle than that. Wikimedia reckon that because the copyright of Imagine was not properly registered in the US, it's now Public Domain there.

• Like 1

OK Guys... just a pleasure to be with you again...

But, remember it was another "pandemic" ceremony... into this context it was fine, even though the "no cauldron" factor.

Let's meet for the closing ceremonies... remember than closing ceremonies are being at the same level, or even better, than then the opening ones... 

For me it was a good ceremony... I really didn't have my expectations to high (most of all after watching what they dared to do at Tokyo)

See you!

12 minutes ago, AustralianFan said:

vhe8EzY.jpg

The more I look at it, the weirder this thing looks for me, to think that they'll just stop here and call this a "cauldron" instead of using this as a transporter into an actual cauldron is just plain ridiculous

• Like 1

There was actually no Cauldron - no final vessel of flames was ever set alight.

Some media outlets are not picking this very basic point up.

If the Snowflake was the Cauldron, then somehow, in front of the whole world, it was never set alight.   The Snowflake was just a pretty massive decoration around that tiny torch.

3 minutes ago, zigzag said:

The more I look at it, the weirder this thing looks for me, to think that they'll just stop here and call this a "cauldron" instead of using this as a transporter into an actual cauldron is just plain ridiculous

I agree.

Literally nothing was ignited. 

The Snowflake was just a pretty selfie frame around the final two torchbearers.

It’s true that the Beijing 2022 Opening Ceremony was unprecedented.

It had no Cauldron for the first time in probably close to 100 years ?

1 minute ago, FYI said:

Oh, so they had an Uyghur athlete do the honors, "eh". Can it get any more disingenuous than that. :-/

Actually, this is the final slap into the face of the Uyghurs and all other people and countries threatened and suppressed by the current Chinese regime. What did they think? "Those critics will get silent when we let an Uyghur do the cauldron lighting. Oh wait, it isn't even a cauldron and we aren't even honest people with good intentions." What a farce.

• Like 3