7 minutes ago, Ikarus360 said:

He thought China 4000 years of history are impossible to represent in a show, and that he also struggled putting what he could of it in 2008. Also, he feels China has changed a lot ever since 2008 and no further history lessons were needed, so he wanted to show a more modern China. This is what he said about the handover in 2018 and his thinking probably didnt changed at all for tonight.

If modern China means just using western classicals and goddamn imagine instead of at least an east-west fusion, that's very ironic after all what I heard from the media calling this the games of Chinese superiority

4 minutes ago, Olympian2004 said:

Paris 2024 will have a candle if this trend continues. Milan and Cortina will leave it at a burning match. Los Angeles should be worried.

We can fucking thank Marco Balich for that. He is the idiot who introduced that idea in Rio, and its consequences have been disastrous. And guess who's directing Milano Cortina handover (and most likely its ceremonies, too).

i thought the whole stadium roof was gona be the cauldron or even float in mid air in the middle of the sky..... but there is no cauldron.... THAT is the torch... there is no Olympic cauldron for the first time since what the 1920's.

THERE IS NO OLYMPIC CAULDRON..... WTF

The IOC need to pay for this.

Just now, Shiruba98 said:

Paris better wow me in two years time! Don't fail me now France!

Well, I'm not too sure about that. That entire "ceremony on the Seine" concept sounds very jagged and un-telegenic to me. It could look so cheap that Beijing will be boasting with pride about its OC sh## show in two years' time.

2 minutes ago, Nacholympic said:

No cauldron!!

That's why it was "a never before"

Short, simple, pandemic but good

At least,  much better than Tokyo.

Oh my, you can't be serious. The first two sentences I thought were tongue-in-cheek. Then I read your last two sentences lol.

With no people allowed to gather,  China bet for a high tech ceremony with  no cauldron...

There should be a cauldron even if it is small...

But they didn't want they Olympic torch to be missed in time... no relay took place, so, Chinese creativity, put the torch as the cauldron itself...

Is it the end of the cauldron era???

Just now, Olympic Fan Darcy said:

The highlight was the video of the toddlers falling over. Everything else was lame.

I really enjoyed the first segment before the flag. After that, my worst fears became true. And the ending was just a joke.

2 minutes ago, Ikarus360 said:

We can fucking thank Marco Balich for that. He is the idiot who introduced that idea in Rio, and its consequences have been disastrous. And guess who's directing Milano Cortina handover (and most likely its ceremonies, too).

I think it's good at least from a symbolic standpoint that Olympic cauldrons are smaller and more eco-friendly these days. But there is a point where it starts to become ridiculous. And we have just reached this point today.

Underuse of the technology/led screen. I thought for sure the vertical screen would have more of a role in the ceremony. Disjointed and no continuous narrative here. And the "cauldron" was not the unprecedented lighting I was hoping for. Started out promising, but slipped away. The snowflake isn't that pretty.

I think generally speaking for ceremonies, they should just get the protocol/parade done first and then the rest of the ceremony should be a continuous narrative leading up to the cauldron lighting. It's so disruptive to have speeches in between segments.

The first ceremony I have ever watched and half way through I just thought......"I don't really care"......it was so soulless, disjointed, cliched, predictable, repetitive and disappointing. The whacky hymn and non-existent cauldron just topped it off.

The ceremony was supposed to show modern China, and apparently they have nothing new or original or imaginative or great to say about  themselves in the 21st Century.

I am sure the competition will be great, as it was in Tokyo.

1 minute ago, Shiruba98 said:

Paris better wow me in two years time! Don't fail me now France!

My expectations are low. Sadly the magnitude of ceremonies we saw in the 2000s is probably never coming back, specially with the way of thinking of those in charge of the IOC right now. Paris will be an innovating, interest idea for sure, but its also going to be a logistical nightmare, and the french tend to be very loud when protesting against the government so i doubt they will like Macron investing billions for this show.

3 minutes ago, zigzag said:

If modern China means just using western classicals and goddamn imagine instead of at least an east-west fusion, that's very ironic after all what I heard from the media calling this the games of Chinese superiority

I heard the composer of Beijing 2008 was hired by Hangzhou for their opening ceremony of the Asian Games next summer. The Asiad and Universiade might unironically have better shows than whatever the hell Zhang did tonight. He really is a one trick pony and can only do Wuxia.

1 minute ago, Olympian2004 said:

I think it's good at least from a symbolic standpoint that Olympic cauldrons are smaller and more eco-friendly these days. But there is a point where it starts to become ridiculous. And we have just reached this point today.

Guess, we're going from one extreme to the other. I'm gonna go for a walk now. I have to digest this catastrophe.

25 minutes ago, Ikarus360 said:

Ceremony started really good but it has been going kinda downhill after the parade of nations.

Hopefully it picks up strenght later.

I agree. What a dud! 

2 minutes ago, Olympian2004 said:

Well, I'm not too sure about that. That entire "ceremony on the Seine" concept sounds very jagged and un-telegenic to me. It could look so cheap that Beijing will be boasting with pride about its OC sh## show in two years' time.

Paris pretty much has to do it that way because (thanks to Central European Time) the now-standard night-time stadium show wouldn't be able to start until about 10pm local time.