5 minutes ago, piadolym said:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2022/feb/04/beijing-2022-winter-olympics-opening-ceremony-11-key-moments

"One sequence featured children dancing and singing across the arena, while the LED screens beneath them automatically tracked their footsteps, making stars appear at their feet as they performed and moved around."

Clearly the vastness of the LED screens was supposed to supply a wow factor, but visually it wasn't far enough in advance of the floor projection we've become used to. I think even the tracking of performers will be replicated with projection mapping in future ceremonies (just as Vancouver 2010 used floor projection for a lower-budget response to the Beijing 2008 LEDs)

14 minutes ago, JMarkSnow2012 said:

Clearly the vastness of the LED screens was supposed to supply a wow factor, but visually it wasn't far enough in advance of the floor projection we've become used to. I think even the tracking of performers will be replicated with projection mapping in future ceremonies (just as Vancouver 2010 used floor projection for a lower-budget response to the Beijing 2008 LEDs)

I see your point. For me it was an advance compared to the projections on Sochi and Rio. But projections in Tokyo was already on another level.. I agree, it doesn't represent much far from projections in Tokyo or PC.

The Giant Tv Panels look much more vivid than projection,
though I have to say ceremonies have becoming a bit to video reliant.
for all the faults of the London opening, the Meadow was real and there was no video projection to prop up the performers.
the dancers were out there on there own.

4 minutes ago, TorchbearerSydney said:

When I realised the 'snowflake'was to be the centre of the flame,, i presumedf each of the stars would contain LEDs and pulse red like a flame....So the snowlfake would become a big electronic flame.....

That would have made sense. You an buy electronic 'flames and candles'for $5.....

That was my idea, too. I waited and waited for that thing to light up, but it never did.

I really do not know what to say about what i witnessed last night....was that the pre show lol

Whilst i was not expecting a 2008 style show, i was hoping that with the same director, 14 years of technology changes and a venue that is only used for the ceremonies that we would have got something jaw dropping. instead what we got was just wrong.

As for the flame (i refuse to call it a cauldron as it is not) the whole concept is just wrong on so many levels, you cant even see the flame for one...

We all missed the cauldron lighting as it happened when the last torchbearers lit their torch haha

I think what the IOC will be implementing now is using the torch as the cauldron from now on and the cauldron itself just being a different sculpture thing :( Similar to having imagine played at every games which in itself is lunacy on its highest level.

i am so glad that i grew up with ceremonies from 1992 and got to witness first hand all of those heart stopping moments.

oh well at least i can watch ceremonies from Barcelona to Sochi on repeat to get my fix from now on as i hold out no hope that we will ever see a spectacular opening ceremony again...

8 hours ago, AustralianFan said:

nQO4yrN.jpg

Ugh. When they lit the snowflake, I thought it would keep rising up to the top of the screen where it would ignite a hidden cauldron (maybe part of the screen would lower itself). I don't even remember if the music crescendoed when it was lit. I did love the ice cub that the rings came out of. I was hoping to see more moving stage parts like that. 

I think the lesson learned today is that use of heavily advanced technology in ceremonies doesn't always works, if its in charge of people who don't use it properly. And i'm afraid that with technology, ceremonies are actually becoming more and more lazy.

Remove the LED screen of this ceremony for example, and you would had a show which would have made the Nagano ceremony as a masterpiece. I hope this serves as lesson to Marco Balich for 2026.

3 minutes ago, Ikarus360 said:

I think the lesson learned today is that use of heavily advanced technology in ceremonies doesn't always works, if its in charge of people who don't use it properly. And i'm afraid that with technology, ceremonies are actually becoming more and more lazy.

Remove the LED screen of this ceremony for example, and you would had a show which would have made the Nagano ceremony as a masterpiece. I hope this serves as lesson to Marco Balich for 2026.

Agree completely. Vancouver 2010 showed what can be done with technology, props and limited physical performers.

5 minutes to the prime time rebroadcast on CBC. I'm hoping there's less commercials. I've noticed that during the last bunch of Olympics since CBC took over from CTV, that the live broadcast has way more commercials than the prime time rebroadcast.

Oh, and did you guys know that Thomas Bach is an Olympic Champion, fencing, 1976?

Exactly.  I agree Rob.  The “Cauldron” was just another Olympic torch and which itself was then lit by the third last torch-bearer.

It was a “torch lighting” not a Cauldron lighting and it did not occur at the Snowflake.

It was a “Torch Planting” at the Snowflake.

Anti-climactic and a huge let-down.

A terrible way to end the Ceremony.

I will make a counter argument here for the calduron; the idea of the flame surrounded by all nations snowflakes, making it a giga-flake is actually nice. It's amusing that the flame is this small in it, though even if it doesn't bother me. It can even rotate in the outdoor versions, too.

But, repeating what I said earlier; I won't lie, I actually bursted out laughter when it was revealed that was our calduron. But it's a fair one in times which we might need to expend less energy to hold a cerimonial fire.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, AustralianFan said:

Exactly.  I agree Rob.  The “Cauldron” was just another Olympic torch and which itself was then lit by the third last torch-bearer.

It was a “torch lighting” not a Cauldron lighting and it did not occur at the Snowflake.

It was a “Torch Planting” at the Snowflake.

Anti-climactic and a huge let-down.

A terrible way to end the Ceremony.

Importantly, it was a terrible downer moment in on which to start the Olympic Games.

A big build-up that came crashing down.  

A whimper is no way to start an Olympic Games.

A thought about the cauldron. What would've been better; made the center of the snowflake like a lighthouse lantern, with jagged, reflective glass to reflect the light more, and have it spin maybe, like a lighthouse.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, SkiFreak said:

A thought about the cauldron. What would've been better; made the center of the snowflake like a lighthouse lantern, with jagged, reflective glass to reflect the light more, and have it spin maybe, like a lighthouse.

That would be really cool actually!

51 minutes ago, SkiFreak said:

What I was expecting too. Transform the snowflake into a lantern with the glass panels filled with fireworks.