4 minutes ago, JMarkSnow2012 said:

A paradox. China is a world leader in Green technologies- but China is also home to nearly a fifth of the human race, so if everybody in China strikes a match it creates a major carbon footprint ...

Is that kinda along the same line of thinking if everyone in the world farts at the same time?

Even the snowflake with the placards would've seemed better if London hadn't had the same idea with the actual cauldron parts. When someone with Yimou's ceremonial record hypes something up as spectacular and unprecedented, I expected a bit more than a slightly souped-up take on plugging an iPhone in...

3 minutes ago, LA1984 said:

Underuse of the technology/led screen. I thought for sure the vertical screen would have more of a role in the ceremony. Disjointed and no continuous narrative here. And the "cauldron" was not the unprecedented lighting I was hoping for. Started out promising, but slipped away. The snowflake isn't that pretty.

I think generally speaking for ceremonies, they should just get the protocol/parade done first and then the rest of the ceremony should be a continuous narrative leading up to the cauldron lighting. It's so disruptive to have speeches in between segments.

In a way, I feel even more robbed than Tokyo.

At least, before the 2020+1 opening ceremony, most of us were aware it was gonna be a mess due to the hard restrictions and the infight between the creative team which led to the firing of 3 directors.

Here, we had Zhang Yimou, a creative team which alreay had everything designed one year and half ago, and heavy use of technology/led screening. It had absolutely no reasons to fail. And it still did.

2 minutes ago, Australian Kiwi said:

If anyone needs an antidote to tonight - I highly recommend watching the spirited trucks, cheerleaders and marching bands from Atlanta 1996.  Such a warm, fun ceremony full of energy. 

Actually, that segments is one of my favourites ever in Olympic ceremonies. As you said, truly warm, not pretentious, welcoming. 

1 minute ago, yoshi said:

Even the snowflake with the placards would've seemed better if London hadn't had the same idea with the actual cauldron parts. When someone with Yimou's ceremonial record hypes something up as spectacular and unprecedented, I expected a bit more than a slightly souped-up take on plugging an iPhone in...

Yimou always said it was gonna be more simple, it was Giannis (OBS) who hyped it up. Thankfully I knew from the start it was bullshit.

2 minutes ago, Ikarus360 said:

I heard the composer of Beijing 2008 was hired by Hangzhou for their opening ceremony of the Asian Games next summer. The Asiad and Universiade might unironically have better shows than whatever the hell Zhang did tonight. He really is a one trick pony and can only do Wuxia.

If Chengdu and Hangzhou can do what Beijing can't, that'll be peak ironic since supposedly this is the the most hyped event among all big games China hosting this year, it'll be huge lmao moment for me if Chengdu/Hangzhou can be more impressive than Beijing

1 minute ago, FYI said:

Is that kinda along the same line of thinking if everyone in the world farts at the same time?

So long as they don't fart at the same time as the Chinese light their matches, here shouldn't be too much of a problem (unless everybody in the world has been eating beans and the farts are prolonged)

I'm looking forward to Paris partly because it'll have to be mostly daylight. Night-time darkness just makes it too easy to fall back on fancy lighting. It's time for the ceremonial formula to be changed up again - if that means going to daylight, leaving stadiums, or both - let's go for it.

I have told in previous post... ceremonies will never  be as they used to be...

The great era of ceremonies was after Beijing, prior Rio.

I think you are going to hate me because of what I am going to write:

I have always thought that Torch relay and Cauldrons are a HUGE loss of resourses, money and energy (for cauldrons)

Anyway, in a ceremony there should be a cauldron, even small, as they where in Lima or Tokyo...

3 minutes ago, Ikarus360 said:

Yimou always said it was gonna be more simple, it was Giannis (OBS) who hyped it up. Thankfully I knew from the start it was bullshit.

Something can be simple and beautiful. The horrible thing here is the amounts of money and time and energy that went into this. And what came out was still (mostly) a piece of crap.

16 minutes ago, Olympian2004 said:

True, Pyeongchang delivered a pretty good opening ceremony and very decent Winter Games in total. Here's hoping that the quality of Beijing's OC is not reflective of the quality of the entire Games...

Pyeongchang, despite not being so advanced with projections and heavily using VR elements, was still a much better ceremony than what we saw tonight. I still enjoy watching the fire festival segment after the cauldron lightning even in 2022. If anyone also wants another antidote for tonight's catastrophe, I suggest rewatching Pyeongchang ceremonies again.

Also their mascots popularity was so high they made them the official mascots of Gangwon province, although heavily redesigned due to IOC copyright.

05on.png

3 minutes ago, krow said:

maybe it's unrealistic or unfair to compare pre-pandemic ceremonies with those of today.

It doesn't have to do with pandemic times, but with the resources they use and the complains and huge critisism about them. Not only for ceremonies, but for the games themselves.

The Olympics are facing  major crisis because no one want to host them anymore after subsequent scandals... so, ceremonies are the "face" of simplicity in organizing the events...

Again, I told you.. ceremonies wll never be the same and they are open to new ideas and new formats since Buenos Aires 2018 opened that door...

6 minutes ago, Ikarus360 said:

I knew I shouldn't trust anything that anyone from the IOC or its satellites says about an upcoming opening ceremony after I read that John Coates allegedly teared up during the rehearsals for Tokyo's opening ceremony. Maybe those were tears of frustration, who knows...

4 minutes ago, Australian Kiwi said:

PyeongChang sucked. Rio sucked. 

Sochi was the last time a host actually put in effort. 

The saddest thing is that in Rio, the ceremonies team definitely did put in an effort, both for opening and closing, but they were betrayed by the corruption at higher levels (Nuzman etc.)

4 minutes ago, Nacholympic said:

I have told in previous post... ceremonies will never  be as they used to be...

The great era of ceremonies was after Beijing, prior Rio.

I think you are going to hate me because of what I am going to write:

I have always thought that Torch relay and Cauldrons are a HUGE loss of resourses, money and energy (for cauldrons)

Anyway, in a ceremony there should be a cauldron, even small, as they where in Lima or Tokyo...

I agree with the torch relay, but a cauldron the size of, at least, Rio's or Tokyo's is acceptable. The problem is they went way too far with what they did tonight and I feel its just an excuse to justify creative laziness.

And if you really believe in the non pollution message, you shouldn't be using fireworks in a opening ceremony to begin with. At least Shenzhen 2011 Universiade stayed true to its message and used zero fireworks for their opening.

1 minute ago, Olympian2004 said:

I knew I shouldn't trust anything that anyone from the IOC or its satellites says about an upcoming opening ceremony after I read that John Coates allegedly teared up during the rehearsals for Tokyo's opening ceremony. Maybe those were tears of frustration, who knows...

The CCP and its agents are well known for paying or troll the hell out of those who try to make China look bad on the internet in any form. Probably they buttkissed Zhang too much as to avoid problems later.