Just now, Olympian2004 said:

I can't deal with the fact that the director of the technically excellent and stunning (albeit also emotionally cold) Beijing 2008 opening ceremony is the same person who is directing today's kitschy tripe: Zhang Yimou. He must have been forced to do it this way.

Obviously Xi is forcing him to liberate his creativity for crappy 100-minute shows.

Just now, Olympian2004 said:

I can't deal with the fact that the director of the technically excellent and stunning (albeit also emotionally cold) Beijing 2008 opening ceremony is the same person who is directing today's kitschy tripe: Zhang Yimou. He must have been forced to do it this way.

Zhang forte is Wuxia and things which involve ancient/folk chinese culture. He has never been too good with contemporary themes, and it has shown again tonight.

1 minute ago, Ikarus360 said:

Zhang forte is Wuxia and things which involve ancient/folk chinese culture. He has never been too good with contemporary themes, and it has shown again tonight.

I haven't checked here much recently but why the contemporary take this time?

Just now, yoshi said:

The BBC live text includes an embedded tweet from the official IOC account saying "you know it's an opening ceremony when you hear Imagine". Is its use at some point now officially protocol?

Yeah, because a song which talks about no nations existing (in an event involving competition between them) and no heaven (when many of the participating countries are deeply religious) is a very good idea.

1 minute ago, yoshi said:

The BBC live text includes an embedded tweet from the official IOC account saying "you know it's an opening ceremony when you hear Imagine". Is its use at some point now officially protocol?

I sure hope that Yoko will prevent this just like she prevented the survival of the Beatles.

Just now, zigzag said:

I haven't checked here much recently but why the contemporary take this time?

He thought China 4000 years of history are impossible to represent in a show, and that he also struggled putting what he could of it in 2008. Also, he feels China has changed a lot ever since 2008 and no further history lessons were needed, so he wanted to show a more modern China. This is what he said about the handover in 2018 and his thinking probably didnt changed at all for tonight.

1 minute ago, Shiruba98 said:

The flame's here.

Hoping it'll be spectacular as Zhang promised. Unless he's totally bluffing and it'll be crap.

Only the OBS guy bluffed so far saying this would be as good as 2008 which clearly wasn't. Zhang has always been realistic with the expectations he sets and he was very self critical of the 2008 ceremony despite the almost universal praise.