Just now, LA1984 said:

Maybe the time wasn’t inclusive of the parade? 

That would be a strange kind of calculation. They wanted to speed the ceremony up compared to earlier opening ceremonies. Pyeongchang's opening ceremony took 2:20 hours, including the parade of athletes, so a timing of 1:40 hours for today's opening ceremony should certainly include the parade.

1 minute ago, Australian Kiwi said:

Do you think the Fencing Champion 1976 will visit the Great Wall - built by Qin Shi Huang (Fencing Champion 220 B.C.)???

:lol::lol::lol:

Badaling is on the way from Beijing to Yanqing. Perhaps he gets a special permission to leave his oh-so-wonderful bubble for half an hour or so.

1 minute ago, TorchbearerSydney said:

The one thing I do know, the Champion de Fencing a Montreal 1976 will deliver a long, boring, pointless speech that goes for EVER.

Including lots of farcical nonsense like the IOC standing up for the Olympic ideal, cooperation, peace, inclusion etc. etc. Oh, of course no inclusion for Uigurs, Hong Kong protesters, political dissidents, women who speak about sexual misconduct and anyone else who doesn't fit in the CPC's "oh we are all so happy together" scheme.

2 minutes ago, TorchbearerSydney said:

The one thing I do know, the Champion de Fencing a Montreal 1976 will deliver a long, boring, pointless speech that goes for EVER.

Not necessarily. In 2008 the speeches by the IOC head honcho and the Chinese head honcho were almost precisely the same length. There could be cultural subtleties going on here

1 minute ago, TorchbearerSydney said:

my favorite speech was the london one that began

your majesty

your majesties

your royal highnesses

.....ladies and gentlemen 

half the speech sucking up to 6 people. just stupendous. 

• Like 1