9 hours ago, Sir Rols said:

Don’t worry, I’m not gonna crash your party tonight. Have your fun. I won’t guarantee I won’t peruse it tomorrow for the after-party and have my say then, though.

If a pristine thread without pesky interlopers was required, perhaps it shouldn’t have been created so extremely prematurely, for whatever reasons. I wonder who’s gonna jump the gun and start the closing live chat within hours of the cauldron firing up? 

So you are going to watch it? just not live lol

From  Olympics-After Fraught Games Run-Up, Beijing Turns to Opening Ceremony - 4Feb2022 - US News and World Report:

• “The fireworks used on Friday night will equal only 10% of those used in 2008, and only in silver, white and green”
  • “While exact details of the ceremony are kept under wraps, including who will light the cauldron, a promotional video depicts scenes of winter wonderland, with activity on snow and ice and a snowflake flying around the world”

u9JvzTg.jpg

Volunteers walk outside the National Stadium, also known as the Bird's Nest, where the opening ceremony of the Beijing 2022 Winter Olympics will be held later in the day, in Beijing, China February 4, 2022.  REUTERS/Carlos Garcia Rawlins

Hi again guys. I have read the discussions in this topic and I don't want to fuel them any further. I just want to say that I will be watching the opening ceremony and also commenting on it here, BUT my enthusiasm for the Games is as low as it has never been before. Even Beijing 2008 created more anticipation for me than this winter edition in the same city.

I will focus on the athletes for these Games, as they are the original focal point of each Olympic Games, while I detect that the IOC and the Chinese regime focus on economical and political interests. For me, these will be the athletes' Games and not those of those people who want to profit from them for all the wrong reasons.

And I think that it is more and more farcical that the IOC insists on the unpolitical status of the Olympic Games just in order to deflect from the fact that they are bigots and would sell their soul to the devil in order to gain cash and personal standing. I will watch tonight's ceremony with all those in mind who can't have a free life in China, without repression and violence. And I will think about the good people of China in general, not those who lead them.

I get that the Chinese regime wants to transform this in a big propaganda show about how much "fun" life in China is - and I think that it is important to keep them accountable for all the human rights violations that already took place and will take place in their country even while we watch all the "glitz and glamour" of tonight's broadcast.

That said, let the Games begin.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Olympian2004 said:

Hi again guys. I have read the discussions in this topic and I don't want to fuel them any further. I just want to say that I will be watching the opening ceremony and also commenting on it here, BUT my enthusiasm for the Games is as low as it has never been before. Even Beijing 2008 created more anticipation for me than this winter edition in the same city.

I will focus on the athletes for these Games, as they are the original focal point of each Olympic Games, while I detect that the IOC and the Chinese regime focus on economical and political interests. For me, these will be the athletes' Games and not those of those people who want to profit from them for all the wrong reasons.

And I think that it is more and more farcical that the IOC insists on the unpolitical status of the Olympic Games just in order to deflect from the fact that they are bigots and would sell their soul to the devil in order to gain cash and personal standing. I will watch tonight's ceremony with all those in mind who can't have a free life in China, without repression and violence. And I will think about the good people of China in general, not those who lead them.

I get that the Chinese regime wants to transform this in a big propaganda show about how much "fun" life in China is - and I think that it is important to keep them accountable for all the human rights violations that already took place and will take place in their country even while we watch all the "glitz and glamour" of tonight's broadcast.

Great to see you back mate :) 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Olympian2004 said:

You put that far better than I ever could. The actions of the IOC and China have left me feeling nothing on the morning of an Olympic opening ceremony...I'll also have in mind how the IOC megalomania forced Oslo out, depriving the world of what would've been one of the greatest Winter Olympics ever held, in the capital of the world's most winter sports-mad country. If the Olympics ever die out, the day they sent that list of demands to Norway should be given as the death date :angry:

Also I never responded to @StefanMUC fascinating comment on Dassler, I never knew any of that. Are there any others, or anywhere to read more? Sounds like he is the Don Corleone at the centre of everything that's happened to sport recently. 

• Like 1