Indoor Volleyball returns to Paris

Per the listing of 2024 venues in Wikipedia, it shows that Indoor Volleyball has returned to metropolitan Paris.  While it had been assigned to Lille, it looks like they found a 12,000-seat space for it at the Paris Expo Porte de Versailles.  So a lot closer for the athletes and the volleyball fans.  Instead, Handball was moved to the Stade Pierre-Mauroy where Indoor Volleyball was going to be.  

Of course, Paris OCOG has been too busy announcing its hare-brained Ceremonies schemes and just kept the shift in venues quiet.  Silly Estanguet.  

Paris Expo Porte de Versailles - Wikipedia

Edited by baron-pierreIV

1 hour ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Per the listing of 2024 venues in Wikipedia, it shows that Indoor Volleyball has returned to metropolitan Paris.  While it had been assigned to Lille, it looks like they found a 12,000-seat space for it at the Paris Expo Porte de Versailles.  So a lot closer for the athletes and the volleyball fans.  Instead, Handball was moved to the Stade Pierre-Mauroy where Indoor Volleyball was going to be.  

Of course, Paris OCOG has been too busy announcing its hare-brained Ceremonies schemes and just kept the shift in venues quiet.  Silly Estanguet.  

Paris Expo Porte de Versailles - Wikipedia

Paris 2024 plan had a lot of changes since it was first developed, swimming competitions will take place in arena 92 in a shared arena with gimnastics. Rugby had been taken to iconic stade de france. Seems like then want to economize as much the venues they already have in france, and also considering the success france had with team sports, it is not surprise they want the biggest/ nearest stadiums for those ones. On the other hand, Lille is not that far from paris and taking into account cgi, the venue will be massive.  Also I started to like volleyball and handball from the last olympics so its good news

• 2 weeks later...

From my understanding, volleyball was always planned for Paris only the original plans had it in a temporary arena in Le Bourget just like London did with basketball but the costs of the two temporary arenas (the other for badminton) in Le Bourget were deemed to be too expensive. Handball was originally set at the Expo but then moved to Lille.

On 1/21/2022 at 7:12 AM, Chris_Mex said:

Paris 2024 plan had a lot of changes since it was first developed, swimming competitions will take place in arena 92 in a shared arena with gimnastics.

Gymnastics has been moved to the Accorhotels (aka Bercy) arena. Another smart move dropping the temporary aquatic center and using the existing indoor stadium.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1118387/paris-2024-olympics-shooting&ved=2ahUKEwi5x8n3s9n1AhWnrpUCHbClBmUQxfQBKAB6BAgOEAI&usg=AOvVaw1nyW2WZHuT0SJTvcUoc3Sf

Looks like Paris isn't done yet making changes. Paris is seriously looking at moving the shooting events to their national shooting center in Chateauroux, three hours south of Paris due size and environmental concerns. Sounds like that's another way of saying the costs of building a new shooting venue were too much. 

Paris should go ahead and drop the planned slalom canoe course as well and use the existing one their national team uses.

• 4 months later...

No, Paris isn't through yet making venue changes. The Paris 2024 preliminary basketball competition pool play is going to be moved from originally The Arena Paris Sud Hall 6 as part of the IOC's wish to utilize existing/temporary venues to reduce cost. Despite a 2020 venue review declaring it suitable. French basketball players, because of the Arena Paris Sud Hall 6's very low ceilings and potential lack of ventilation, deem it as "embarrassing" and later selected the Stade Pierre-Marouy, site of some men's Eurobasket action in 2015, in Lille to stage them:

https://www.thestadiumbusiness.com/2022/03/24/paris-2024-to-seek-new-venue-for-preliminary-basketball-games/

FIBA, the international basketball governing body, now isn't thrilled about this Paris 2024 preliminary basketball venue change, however, following some meetings with the Paris 2024 organizing committee. While mutually agreeing to a pool play venue change, FIBA is concerned over the basketball players, coaches, trainers, officials, and other staff not being able to return to or even stay at the Paris Olympic Village quick enough from up in Lille with the 3-hour distance north (210km) from Paris and not being mostly in and around Paris. Also, FIBA has questioned if the Lille retracted roofed stadium could guarantee “a safe field of play during the hottest days of summer” and has concerns about facility conditions for athlete recovery and meal preparations. Which is understandable from FIBA's view with a desire for the basketball players immersed in the host city with the needed amenities and keep costs low as possible:

https://www.thestadiumbusiness.com/2022/06/09/fiba-at-odds-with-paris-2024-over-basketball-venue/

https://press.paris2024.org/news/paris-2024-and-fiba-agree-on-change-of-basketball-preliminary-round-venue-1604-7578a.html

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1124288/fiba-basketball-paris-2024-venue

15 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Paris isn't ready!  Take the Games away from them!!  

That city is so historic, attractive and legendary, that "Olympics" in some ways actually undercuts its reputation, not the other way around.

The IOC needs Paris more than Paris needs the IOC. People like a Tony Estanguet or Sebastian Coe may disagree, but they're athletes more into "Olympics" than they're necessarily into "world class cities."

Just as 2012 diminished "London" - IMHO - the 2024 games possibly may do the same thing to "Paris."

Personally, that's why I think "Olympics" in certain major ways fits a "Brisbane" - or, less so, "Sydney" - better than they fit a "Paris" or "London."

"Los Angeles" is an odd mix of those various cities, so I'm more ambivalent about it.

However, I have such unsure impressions of "Atlanta 1996," that I can't deal with it as easily as with other hosts.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

It looks like they have still been shifting venues around leading into the start of ticketing this week.  Different parts of their website show different venues for the same sports.  They've left it quite confusing and unclear.  I hope I don't buy tickets for something only to have it shifted 3 hours away from Paris or something.

2 hours ago, Al in NYC said:

It looks like they have still been shifting venues around leading into the start of ticketing this week.  Different parts of their website show different venues for the same sports.  They've left it quite confusing and unclear.  I hope I don't buy tickets for something only to have it shifted 3 hours away from Paris or something.

If I were you, I'd wait until like AUgust or Sept. 2023 before plunking down any cash for tickets.  Paris 2024 doesn't know what they are doing yet.