Melbourne emerging as potential host for 2026 Commonwealth Games

GBModerator

Reports have emerged that the Commonwealth Games Federation (CGF) has approached Australian officials asking them to host the its 2026 marquee event in Melbourne, four years ahead of its potential plans to stage the event in 2030. With only a little more than four years to go until the Opening Ceremony, the CGF is struggling […]

The post Melbourne emerging as potential host for 2026 Commonwealth Games appeared first on GamesBids.com.

View the full article

11 minutes ago, FYI said:

Looks like they want to settle for the consolation prize then.

…. you mean Melbourne is a consolation prize?   Looks like first prize to me.

Melbourne and Olympic Parks:

• MCG 100,000
  • AIMI Park 30,000
  • Rod Laver Arena 15,400
  • John Cain Arena in velodrome mode 7,500
  • Margaret Court Arena 7,500
  • Kia Arena 5,000

Near or in the CBD also are:

• Melbourne Sports and Aquatic Centre: 10,000
  • Marvel Stadium 53,359

nIOXvE5.jpg

I think he means not getting 2032...but then the Commonwealth Games is the first prize for Melbourne all the time the IOC rigidly insist the Olympics has to be held in the middle of winter. I just think it's a great shame that it'll be 20 solid years that the Commonwealth Games has never seen beyond the UK and Australia, even though Melbourne will obviously be an awesome host city. 

Melbourne is such an obvious, ready-to-go Olympic host city. Such an “agenda 2020 & new norm” no brainer. Like Los Angeles & Salt Lake City, they have virtually everything in place to host an Olympics cost-effectively. The one & only important element that held them back (& of course something else very powerful & influential), was that July 15th-Aug 31st. timeframe that the IOC strictly enforces now since Sydney 2000.

Melbourne is such a large, beautiful & cosmopolitan city. Just like many here claim that New York City should be an Olympic host one day, that same view can also be placed with Melbourne from an international perspective.

Yes, Melbourne hosted before, but that was all the way back in 1956. Los Ángeles hosted in 1984, yet it’s hosting a THIRD time a mere 44 years later in 2028 (not to mention their first time in 1932). So yes, I meant the commonwealth games are Melbourne’s (distant) consolation prize. Such a pity, at least from an Olympic perspective.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FYI said:

Melbourne is such an obvious, ready-to-go Olympic host city. Such an “agenda 2020 & new norm” no brainer. Like Los Angeles & Salt Lake City, they have virtually everything in place to host an Olympics cost-effectively. The one & only important element that held them back (& of course something else very powerful & influential), was that July 15th-Aug 31st. timeframe that the IOC strictly enforces now since Sydney 2000.

Melbourne is such a large, beautiful & cosmopolitan city. Just like many here claim that New York City should be an Olympic host one day, that same view can also be placed with Melbourne from an international perspective.

Yes, Melbourne hosted before, but that was all the way back in 1956. Los Ángeles hosted in 1984, yet it’s hosting a THIRD time a mere 44 years later in 2028 (not to mention their first time in 1932). So yes, I meant the commonwealth games are Melbourne’s (distant) consolation prize. Such a pity, at least from an Olympic perspective.

That seems like a possible plan for Melbourne to host the 2026 Commonwealth Games. I await the decision in March to find out.

5 hours ago, yoshi said:

I think he means not getting 2032...but then the Commonwealth Games is the first prize for Melbourne all the time the IOC rigidly insist the Olympics has to be held in the middle of winter. I just think it's a great shame that it'll be 20 solid years that the Commonwealth Games has never seen beyond the UK and Australia, even though Melbourne will obviously be an awesome host city. 

Oh without doubt - but reality is that the city seemed to have received the message loud and clear that the IOC wasn't going to tolerate an October Olympics (which is the earliest you'd get a warm Games). There has been no real interest from Melbourne for over 30 years since losing to Atlanta. 

Brisbane is very lucky Melbourne and Sydney are cold in July - otherwise one of them would be hosting for a second time. 

• Like 1