Evergreen Line: North East Sector LRT

mr.x

Studies equals waste of money. It's obvious that the ridership would be high. The amount of people using the B-Line supports enough of it. M-Line ridership will heavily jump after the extension. Personally, I think this should be built with the Canada Line, but evidently, that won't happen.

BROADWAY CORRIDOR BUS RIDERSHIP:

- 99 B-Line: 60,000 passengers daily

- Broadway SkyTrain Station: 54,000 transfers/boardings daily

- Commercial SkyTrain Station: 30,000 transfers/boardings daily

- other Broadway corridor bus routes: 40,000 passengers daily

Meaning, 100,000 people use the Broadway corridor's bus routes every single day.

I think the Broadway extension should be higher priority than the Coquitlam extension....are there buses jammed pack there? No. And just imagine, more people taking the M-Line and the 99 B-Line to UBC from Coquitlam using the Evergreen Line, making congestion on the 99 and SkyTrain even worse.

Cost is a huge issue....i would think from VCC to Granville or Arbutus, it would cost between $1.5-2 billion.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At least, these projects are being put into debate. For a city and metropolitan area of its size, I would have thought that Vancouver should have more of these kinds of mass transit to alleviate road congestion and urban sprawl. Like, once these projects are approved or denied by whatever factors, then what about like projects to places like North Vancouver and West Vancouver?

Edited by Guardian

Obviously the buses at Lougheed to Coquitlam Centre aren't jammed pack. Most 97 B-Line busses aren't even articulated. There just regular buses that have the title 97 B-Line. My thoughs exactly with Mr. X:

And just imagine, more people taking the M-Line and the 99 B-Line to UBC from Coquitlam using the Evergreen Line, making congestion on the 99 and SkyTrain even worse.

At peak hours, there are literally hundreds and hundreds of people waiting for the 99 at Broadway....and this is no exaggeration. Buses during peak hours depart one after another: a bus enters the loading bay, and then it departs and another one right behind it enters the loading bay, and then it departs, and there's another bus behind it........there's only so many buses we can have, and this is the best bus service can do, and there's still huge and unsatisfied demand. Not to mention that Broadway is already saturated with buses.

Not even at peak hours, you only have to wait at the most two minutes for a 99 to come on non-peak hour week days. There is a demand. Vancouver is willing to start building. Now why isn't TransLink?

At peak hours, you get a bus every 30-60 seconds.

• 4 months later...

Not sure how it would do as a P3, but that's what they want to try.

Government guarantees Evergreen Line but TransLink is short money

Friday, February 23 - 06:30:00 AM

Reaon Ford/Vancouver Sun

VANCOUVER (NEWS1130) - After months of nasty debate, the Provincial Government is finally offering a guarantee about the Evergreen Line. Transport Minister Kevin Falcon says the rapid-transit project to the Tri-Cities will be built but the only question is how TransLink will pay for it.

The answer will be private money. TransLink has submitted a new business case to Partnerships BC, which is a body that helps set up private involvement in public projects. Falcon has been pushing a so called P3 to build the line since the start. TransLink is short more than $400 million in funding, which is almost half of the project's overall cost.

After what is happening to RAV, I'm not sure if I want to see this project as P-3 nevermind being built as LRT. *SkyTrain!*

What did you guys think about the road toll article in yesterday's Province? :o:angry::(

It needs to be done and it has proven to work in many other cities in the world (e.g. Shanghai, London, Stockholm), but the only way to ensure that it will work is if we toll every major crossing in the region. I'd say each crossing with a $2.00 toll from 6 am to 7 pm:

- Lions Gate Bridge

- Ironworkers Memorial Bridge

- Arthur Laing Bridge

- Oak Street Bridge

- Knight Street Bridge

- Pitt River Bridge

- Queensborough Bridge

- Patullo Bridge

- Port Mann Bridge

- Golden Ears Bridge

- George Massey Tunnel

HOWEVER, tolling should be in place ONLY if adequate public transit is available to ALL areas. We're talking about bus service on all routes from 5 am to 2 pm with a maximum frequency of every 10 minutes.

In London, tolling has reduced pollution by 12% and car traffic by 30%. In Stockholm, car traffic has gone down 20% and public transit use has increased by an outstanding 30%. The public transit system in Stockholm is having major problems in handling all the demand......they weren't expecting it to be that successful.

I don't really think tolling right now is good. It will hurt the BC Liberal's image. Start this idea later, but I doubt tolling would happen soon though. If tolling should occur, I think tolling should occur in one direction and/or there should be one bridge that is free. For instance, in Richmond-Vancouver/Burnaby bridges, the Queensborough should not be tolled. I'm not a big fan of tolling, despite the number of environmental benefits. And northshore-Vancouver bridges, Ironworkers should be for free. Oh and if you are tolling, please lower gas prices!

GVRD rules out tolls, for now

Directors, stung by public reaction, say they will keep investigating the 'road pricing' option

William Boei, Vancouver Sun

Published: Saturday, February 24, 2007

GREATER VANCOUVER - The Greater Vancouver Regional District will keep looking into "road pricing" to manage transportation demand, but directors made it clear Friday they won't be slapping new tolls on roads and bridges any time soon.

Several directors were spooked by public reaction to news stories about the district considering region-wide tolling and other measures to control demand for road space.

"I'm starting to get e-mails and phone calls on this," Coquitlam Mayor Maxine Wilson said. "We're upsetting residents needlessly and we're causing them to lose confidence in the board."

"I've had millions of calls," said Burnaby Mayor Derek Corrigan, adding that the wording of a motion for the GVRD to "consider" road pricing "made it appear imminent, and that means there has been a big public reaction."

Corrigan said the GVRD should "tell the public and the press we are not making any decisions at this point. We are simply learning about what the options are and how those will affect our sustainability for the next 30 years."

"I trust we don't believe that because we investigate something, it's going to happen," said GVRD chairwoman and Delta Mayor Lois Jackson. "We're looking out 25 and 50 years, I'm assuming."

The motion made it onto the GVRD board's agenda after consulting engineers and other participants in a public forum held in Vancouver last year on the region's future came out strongly in favour of road pricing measures to keep a lid on traffic congestion.

But Langley City Coun. Gayle Martin said the issue would play out very differently in the Fraser Valley.

Martin said south of the Fraser River, tolls are seen as a way to keep people from driving from the suburbs into Vancouver.

"Well, how the heck are we supposed to get in there if we can't use our cars?" she asked.

Vancouver Coun. Suzanne Anton, who is also a TransLink director, responded: "TransLink will be pleased to provide a rapid bus service from Langley to SkyTrain, and then the most excellent, excellent SkyTrain service from Surrey into downtown Vancouver."

Anton acknowledged there is "a big political price to pay" for talking about tolls, but said it is necessary to discuss the options.

"Let's have a good report on it," she said. "Let's see just what we need, what some of the options are, and then let's debate that report. It's not something that's going to happen tomorrow."

TransLink chairman and Richmond Mayor Malcolm Brodie said he didn't understand why tolling had to be on the GVRD agenda at all, since the board went on the record last year saying road pricing should be investigated.

"All we've done, to my mind, is cause a great deal of alarm," Brodie said.

He scoffed at suggestions that there is broad public support for road pricing and asked directors to imagine what the reaction would be if there was a proposal to toll the Lions Gate and Ironworkers Memorial bridges, or the Lougheed Highway, Kingsway and Marine Drive.

In the end, the board approved a motion that asks GVRD staff to provide an analysis of road pricing, rather than to "consider" road pricing.

The board did not debate a suggestion to re-brand the GVRD as "Metro Vancouver," but asked staff to look into that possibility and report back.

bboei@png.canwest.com

© The Vancouver Sun 2007

i agree with the decision. until there is adequate public transit, tolling should not be in place.

• 3 months later...