Is/Will LA be ahead?

OK, I've discounted LA for 2016 before because:  (i) it's an old scene (most of the IOC members who were there for 1984 are still alive); and (ii) the IOC seems to want new settings at least.

Anyway, with the report that L.A. will be the U.S. candidate for the 2009 World Figure Skating Championships (1 year before Vancouver), comes another feather in L.A.'s cap.  On July 26, L.A. will host the 56th annual Miss Universe pageant (again); I think in the Kodak Theatre.  So that's 2 int'l events for L.A. in the next few years.  

But will it increase LA's chances for winning the US 2016 bid?  Naaaah.  I don't think so.  A World Figure Skating Championships and an int'l beauty pageant will really count for nothing in terms of Olympic wannabe credentials.

I totally agree.  Despite LA having probably the most advantages of any of the projected candidates for the 2016 race, the Miss America pageant, etc. doesn't really rise to the international scene events.  

I still think LA could be a threat for 2016 - sort of a stealth bomber kind of scenario  :suspect:

Baron: Miss Universe will be at the Shrine Auditorium on July 23rd. This is their second hosting. The first was in 1990 at the Schubert Theatre which was another last minute venue decision. Looks like this is a last minute venue since the Trump Organization could not find any overseas venue willing to host the pageant. This year will also be the shortest pageant since 1997 lasting only 18 days. The 1997 pageant in Miami Beach lasted a full 2 weeks. If L.A. lands WFSC it could certainly help their bid for 2016, bit I doubt MU will have an impact on LA's bid for 2016.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm assuming the LA memorial coliseum will be used again as the main athletics stadium.

But are there any new plans to refurbish the stadium.

Is this planned refurbishment in the below picture still on the cards? Or will something else be done to the coliseum? Certainly a major refit would be needed to get USOC votes, and then more importantly to attract the IOC

coluseum.jpg

Suit U Sir,

As you may or may not already know, L.A. is currently trying to woo an NFL team to the Coliseum.  A brand new stadium structure would be built within its outer walls.

The pic you posted is outdated; the outer pylons have been scratched from the design.

Here are the latest images of the proposed Coliseum reconstruction:

http://us.news3.yimg.com/us.i2.y....n2cNQ--

http://us.news3.yimg.com/us.i2.y....hsMxg--

http://us.news3.yimg.com/us.i2.y....AwiNg--

http://us.news3.yimg.com/us.i2.y....TcAfQ--

http://us.news3.yimg.com/us.i2.y....KvL5g--

http://us.news3.yimg.com/us.i2.y....Sf2iQ--

OOPS!

The Los Angeles area would've hosted the IAAF World Cup at the Home Depot Center in Carson this year in September but the International Association of Athletics Federations yanked the event... some kind of tax dispute, or something.  I think they'll be held in Athens, Greece, now.

OK, I've discounted LA for 2016 before because:  (i) it's an old scene (most of the IOC members who were there for 1984 are still alive); and (ii) the IOC seems to want new settings at least.

Anyway, with the report that L.A. will be the U.S. candidate for the 2009 World Figure Skating Championships (1 year before Vancouver), comes another feather in L.A.'s cap.  On July 26, L.A. will host the 56th annual Miss Universe pageant (again); I think in the Kodak Theatre.  So that's 2 int'l events for L.A. in the next few years.  

But will it increase LA's chances for winning the US 2016 bid?  Naaaah.  I don't think so.  A World Figure Skating Championships and an int'l beauty pageant will really count for nothing in terms of Olympic wannabe credentials.

Baron: Its only the 55th Annual Miss Universe Pageant. 56th will be next year.

• 3 weeks later...
Just curious -- Everything I've heard about the refurbishment of the Coliseum talks about 68,000 seats. Doesn't the IOC require a minimum of 70,000? If anybody has any additional info/insights, I'm all ears

I think 60,000 is the minimum requirement

Just curious -- Everything I've heard about the refurbishment of the Coliseum talks about 68,000 seats. Doesn't the IOC require a minimum of 70,000? If anybody has any additional info/insights, I'm all ears

I mentioned this in the "Chicago 2016" thread; the LA Coliseum's plans after its "redo" would be to have seating for 68,000 people, with the capability to be expanded to 80,000 people for Superbowls, major USC football games, and a possible hosting of another Olympics.

• 1 month later...

Los Angeles has a lot of existing world-class venues, including several built since the 1984 Summer Olympics. The Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum would need renovation into a 3-tier football stadium wbhich can be converted to a track and field stadium. A shooting range would have to be built from scratch, but I'm not sure where I can build it. Anyway, here is the venue plan for a Los Angeles Games:

Existing Venues

Anaheim Convention Centre, 8000, Wrestling

Angel Stadium, 45050, Baseball

Arrowhead Pond, 17000, Artistic Gymnastics

Auto Club Raceway, 40000, Modern Pentathlon (Cross-Country)

Bren Events Centre, 5000, Badminton

Dodger Stadium, 56000, Baseball

Galen Centre, 10000, Boxing

Gersten Pavillion, 4500, Weightlifting

Home Depot Centre, 27000, Soccer

Inglewood Forum, 17000, Basketball

Lake Elsinore Diamond, Softball, 11000

Long Beach Arena, 12000, Volleyball

Los Angeles Convention Centre, 6000, Table Tennis, MPC/IBC

Los Angeles Sports Arena, 16000, Handball

Los Angeles Triathlon Course, Triathlon

Pauley Pavillion, 12000, Rythmic Gymnastics, Trampoline

Staples Centre, 20000, Basketball

Tennis Stadium at Home Depot Centre, 10000/20 competition courts/ 12 training courts, Tennis

Walter Pyramid, 5000, Judo, Taekwondo

Weingart Stadium, 25000, Field Hockey

Venues to be Renovated

Belmont Plaza Olympic Pool, 5000, Water Polo

Grand Olympic Auditorium, 10000, Fencing

Griffith Park, Mountain Biking

Hollywood Reservoir, 10000, Whitewater Canoeing

Long Beach Harbour, Sailing

Long Beach Marine Stadium, 20000, Flatwater Canoeing, Rowing

Los Angeles Aquatic Centre, 12000, Diving, Swimming, Synchronised Swimming, Water Polo

Los Angeles County Fairgrounds, 10000, Modern Pentathlon (Shooting, Fencing, Equestrian, Swimming)

Los Angeles Equestrian Centre, 3500, 3000, Equestrian Jumping, Dressage

Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum, 100000, Athletics

Rose Bowl, 100000, Soccer

Santa Anita Park, 35000, Equestrian 3-Day Event

Velodrome at Home Depot Centre, 5500, Track Cycling

New Facilities

Hollywood Road Cycling Venue, Road Cycling

Olympic Archery Field, 7000, Archery

Olympic Beach Volleyball Arena, 10000, Beach Volleyball

Olympic BMX Field, BMX Racing

Olympic Shooting Range, Shooting, 8000

Los Angeles has a lot of existing world-class venues, including several built since the 1984 Summer Olympics. The Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum would need renovation into a 3-tier football stadium wbhich can be converted to a track and field stadium. A shooting range would have to be built from scratch, but I'm not sure where I can build it. Anyway, here is the venue plan for a Los Angeles Games:

Existing Venues

Anaheim Convention Centre, 8000, Wrestling

Angel Stadium, 45050, Baseball

Arrowhead Pond, 17000, Artistic Gymnastics

Auto Club Raceway, 40000, Modern Pentathlon (Cross-Country)

Bren Events Centre, 5000, Badminton

Dodger Stadium, 56000, Baseball

Galen Centre, 10000, Boxing

Gersten Pavillion, 4500, Weightlifting

Home Depot Centre, 27000, Soccer

Inglewood Forum, 17000, Basketball

Lake Elsinore Diamond, Softball, 11000

Long Beach Arena, 12000, Volleyball

Los Angeles Convention Centre, 6000, Table Tennis, MPC/IBC

Los Angeles Sports Arena, 16000, Handball

Los Angeles Triathlon Course, Triathlon

Pauley Pavillion, 12000, Rythmic Gymnastics, Trampoline

Staples Centre, 20000, Basketball

Tennis Stadium at Home Depot Centre, 10000/20 competition courts/ 12 training courts, Tennis

Walter Pyramid, 5000, Judo, Taekwondo

Weingart Stadium, 25000, Field Hockey

Venues to be Renovated

Belmont Plaza Olympic Pool, 5000, Water Polo

Grand Olympic Auditorium, 10000, Fencing

Griffith Park, Mountain Biking

Hollywood Reservoir, 10000, Whitewater Canoeing

Long Beach Harbour, Sailing

Long Beach Marine Stadium, 20000, Flatwater Canoeing, Rowing

Los Angeles Aquatic Centre, 12000, Diving, Swimming, Synchronised Swimming, Water Polo

Los Angeles County Fairgrounds, 10000, Modern Pentathlon (Shooting, Fencing, Equestrian, Swimming)

Los Angeles Equestrian Centre, 3500, 3000, Equestrian Jumping, Dressage

Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum, 100000, Athletics

Rose Bowl, 100000, Soccer

Santa Anita Park, 35000, Equestrian 3-Day Event

Velodrome at Home Depot Centre, 5500, Track Cycling

New Facilities

Hollywood Road Cycling Venue, Road Cycling

Olympic Archery Field, 7000, Archery

Olympic Beach Volleyball Arena, 10000, Beach Volleyball

Olympic BMX Field, BMX Racing

Olympic Shooting Range, Shooting, 8000

Hi Jim, just curious, did you come up with this list on your own, or are these the possible proposed 2016 venues for LA?

I ask because some of them differ from the proposed venues for the failed LA 2012 bid, which incidentally, of the 36 proposed venues for LA 2012, only 14 were used for the 1984 Games.

I wish I saved the list I had of the proposed LA 2012 venues... I do remember some of them, though, and they differ from your list above. Example, you have the Gersten Pavilion (on the campus of Loyola Marymount University) as the weightlifting venue; that was the case in 1984, but for the 2012 bid, the weightlifting venue was the Shrine Auditorium. Also, for, 2012, whitewater canoeing was to be at the Raging Waters water park in San Dimas, artistic gymnastics was to be at Staples Center and basketball was to be at the Pond. The Inglewood Forum was supposed to host rhythmic gymnastics for 2012, if memory serves me correctly.

It's also possible that the LA Sports Arena might be torn down (and I think it should). USC's home basketball games have been played there for decades, but now that the Galen Center will be opening this fall, the USC basketball team will play there for home games. The Galen Center already has a massive presence on the southeast corner of Figueroa and Jefferson Blvd. and it's right next to the Harbor Freeway.

The LA Memorial Sports Arena cannot be destroyed because it has undergone a major renovation to bring it up to 21st century seismic standards. It is well maintained and does not show its age.

I still can't find a location for the shooting range though.

The LA Memorial Sports Arena cannot be destroyed because it has undergone a major renovation to bring it up to 21st century seismic standards. It is well maintained and does not show its age.

I still can't find a location for the shooting range though.

The LA Memorial Sports Arena will almost certainly be destroyed. It serves no purpose anymore with USC basketball leaving for the Galen Center. There is no team there anymore and it attracts little else because any other production is much better at Staples Center or the Arrowhead Pond (Honda Center). Also, when was the last time you were at the Sports Arena. It most certainly shows its age as the sightlines are not very good, many seats feel far from the court and it is visually terrible. The paint has chipped, the concrete cracked.

Ryebreadraz, what you just posted is a lie! Didn't I tell you the LA Sports Arena is well maintained and doesn't show its age?! I know the USC basketball teams have moved to the Galen Centre, but I don't see any recent news reports indicating the LA Sports Arena's demolition!

But if the LA Sports Arena IS destroyed, I'm moving Handball to the Ontario Community Events Centre.

One question also remains: Where do you want me to build a shooting range?

The LA Memorial Sports Arena will almost certainly be destroyed. It serves no purpose anymore with USC basketball leaving for the Galen Center. There is no team there anymore and it attracts little else because any other production is much better at Staples Center or the Arrowhead Pond (Honda Center). Also, when was the last time you were at the Sports Arena. It most certainly shows its age as the sightlines are not very good, many seats feel far from the court and it is visually terrible. The paint has chipped, the concrete cracked.

No. That will have to stay IF LA hosts another Games. It is the adjunct, 'support' stadium for the Coliseum; serving as such in the 1984 Games.

You have all the venues -- but where is your Village? You also keep putting Baseball in. It ain't gonna return; even if the Games go back to the US. Once a sport is out; it never returns. Because once they bring it back in -- there'll be those who want it out.

Where would you put shooting? Around Tim Robbins & Susan Sarandon's house. Scare the living sh*t outta those 2 Commies!! :angry:

No. That will have to stay IF LA hosts another Games. It is the adjunct, support stadium for the Coliseum; serving as such in the 1984 Games.

Where would you put shooting? Around Tim Robbins & Susan Sarandon's house. Scare the living sh*t outta those 2 Commies!! :angry:

Better yest, aim AT their house <_<

Just because Los Angeles has 2 Baseball stadiums doesn't mean Baseball is not returning. Baseball was a demonstration sport at the 1984 Games. And no, I wouldn't put the shooting range in a celebrity's house. Can't you find a decent location OTHER THAN Hollywood?! A shooting range still needs to be built from scratch.

Was the shooting range used for 1984 Summer Olympics a temporary venue?

Just because Los Angeles has 2 Baseball stadiums doesn't mean Baseball is not returning. Baseball was a demonstration sport at the 1984 Games. And no, I wouldn't put the shooting range in a celebrity's house. Can't you find a decent location OTHER THAN Hollywood?! A shooting range still needs to be built from scratch.

The shooting venue for the '84 Summer Games was Prado Regional Park in Chino. The shooting range still exists. Here's a link: Prado Regional Park, a rural getaway on more than 2,200 acres in the Chino Valley Basin

The website says that "target practice is enjoyed at Prado Olympic Shooting Range, site of the 1984 Olympic Shooting Venue..."

However, for the failed LA 2012 bid, it was proposed that a new shooting venue be built at the LA County Fairplex in Pomona. I don't know why, maybe they feel Pomona is closer to LA than Chino... it is, but only SLIGHTLY... At least Pomona is still in LA County.

And I wish I could find the online news story I read in April or May, but the LA Sports Arena just might be torn down, especially if the NFL chooses the Coliseum for an NFL team. To accommodate the supposed masses that would congregate for NFL games, the Sports Arena would be knocked down and a multilevel underground parking structure would be built, with green areas at street level.

And just because it has -- doesn't mean it is. Study the forces that caused it to be removed AND stay out. Also, if they are going to give the Games back to the U.S., I think the USOC and U.S. Baseball will not insist that BASE/Softball return. The rest of the world really isn't that interested in baseball. You gotta choose your battles.

Re 1984 shooting range, yes, it was in the unincorporated part of Chino. Re your envisioned new Shooting range -- I didn't say put it in the Robbins' household. Merely around it. :lol:

Ryebreadraz, what you just posted is a lie! Didn't I tell you the LA Sports Arena is well maintained and doesn't show its age?! I know the USC basketball teams have moved to the Galen Centre, but I don't see any recent news reports indicating the LA Sports Arena's demolition!

But if the LA Sports Arena IS destroyed, I'm moving Handball to the Ontario Community Events Centre.

One question also remains: Where do you want me to build a shooting range?

I really do not being told im lying, especially when I am not. #1 there is a lot of speculation that the arena will be torn down. #2 the NFL has been assured that should a team play at the Coliseum it will be torn down for more parking space. #3 my uncle has some very powerful friends who all agree that the Sports Arena will be gone before 2010. So pleae, do not tell me I am lying.

BTW i know you told me the Sports Arena is well maintained and as i said earlier I do not know when the last time you went there was because it is most certainly not.

I have announced that the Prado Olympic Shooting Range will be used for the shooting events. The Archery Field will be built next to it. How many miles is Prado Olympic Shooting Range from Los Angeles? If that shooting range is more than 100 miles away, I am building a new shooting range at the LA Fairplex.

I know Baseball and Softball have been removed from the 2012 Olympic Programme, but despite your stupid opinions on Baseball and Softball not returning for the 2016 Summer Olympics, the two sports STILL have a chance of reemerging as events at these Olympics, provided no new sports are adopted into the Games and both recieve enough votes to be included.

As for the LA Sports Arena, there is ABSOLUTELY NO CHANCE of it being torn town even if the LA Coliseum is renovated. I Do Not Want The LA Sports Arena Torn Down!! If they do so, I will be extremely disappointed!

Archived