Pyrenees-Barcelona-Zaragoza 2030

Lol - I guess that they must be oblivious about the media complaining about the transport issues between the Beijing 2022 clusters, & some even comparing them to the Lake Placid 1980 transport fails. But yeah, Pyrenees & Bosnia 2030 sounds very feasible, though. ;-/

For a bit of context, let's remember this one:
https://www.upi.com/Archives/1994/02/14/Samaranch-leads-IOC-visit-to-Sarajevo/5925761202000/

And of course let's see what the name of the main indoor venue of 1984 is nowadays:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zetra_Olympic_Hall,_Sarajevo

And finally, let's remind ourselves who is an influential IOC and Spanish NOC member nowadays:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juan_Antonio_Samaranch_Salisachs

I'd expect Sarajevo to make a symbolic bid for the 50th anniversary in 2036. That's when they'll reconstruct the devastated Olympic venues if they're not done by then.

If Spain wants an Olympics, it should be able to host alone.

Actually I do not doubt the billion dollar profit, but that would easily be offset by all the money Spain would have to put forward for a WOGs in the first place. As far as the chat with Bosnia goes about Sarajevo venues, if they really are serious, then I take it that the likes of France, Switzerland, and Austria have said no and probably would face local referendums just to get a skeptical public on board with just hosting the likes of ski jumping and sliding events.

• 1 month later...
19 minutes ago, munichfan said:

Frankly, it was somewhat of a stretch from the very beginning.

Which is a pity, as sliding track aside, a Pyrenees Winter Games really wouldn‘t be far fetched given there are world class resorts and big enough „ice cluster“ cities nearby. If it worked for Northern Italy, it could have worked for Spain. But nationalist infighting was always going to be its biggest problem, sliding track aside.

That's a lot of ifs, but:

- If Spain gets the 2030 World Cup and Madrid gets its chance to shine hosting among others the final at Santiago Bernabéu and either the match for third place or a semi at Wanda Metropolitano and

- if Sapporo gets 2030 and SLC 2034 as currently expected and

- if either Germany or the UK or another European country gets the 2036 games and

- if they find a way to organize this so no party feels excluded and

- if the most desirable European countries for the next winter games (namely Norway, France and Germany, maybe Austria or Switzerland) fail to present a decent option

2038 might be worth a serious try. For now, this project seems DOA.

Olimpismo | JJOO 2036 

El COE descarta una candidatura de Madrid para los Juegos Olímpicos de 2036

• "La recomendación (del COI) que nos dijeron para los del 2036 es que Madrid no se presente", afirma Alejandro Blanco
  • "Cuando hablamos con el COI de las posibilidades que había, nos dijeron que las posibilidades son de invierno", añade

22.03.2022 | actualización 12:41 horas

PorAGENCIAS

El presiente del Comité Olímpico Español (COE), Alejandro Blanco, interviene durante el acto institucional. EFE

2 min.

El presidente del Comité Olímpico Español (COE), Alejandro Blanco, ha descartado, a instancias de las recomendaciones del Comité Olímpico Internacional (COI), la posibilidad de que Madrid presente una candidatura para albergar los Juegos Olímpicos de 2036.

En una entrevista con la emisora de radio RAC1, Blanco ha animado a la capital española a "reiniciar el camino" para ser sede de unos Juegos Olímpicos de verano, si bien subrayó que "en este momento" su candidatura para la cita de 2036 "no está encima de la mesa para nada".

Madrid no va a optar a los Juegos de 2036

"He tenido varias reuniones con el alcalde de Madrid hablando de este tema y Madrid, sin ninguna duda, es una ciudad que debe intentar albergar los Juegos Olímpicos, pero no va a optar a los del 2036", ha dicho Blanco.

"Nosotros (el COE) cuando hablamos con el COI de las posibilidades que había, nos dijeron que las posibilidades son de invierno. Están dados los juegos de París (2024), los de Los Ángeles (2028) y los de Brisbane (2032) y la recomendación que nos dijeron para los del 2036 es que Madrid no se presente", agregó.

Según Blanco, "todo el mundo tiene que tener tranquilidad" y "el sueño de Madrid no debe desaparecer" para albergar en un futuro la cita olímpica.

"El compromiso que tenemos, y además estoy muy agradecido al alcalde de Madrid, es que se retomen las actividades de alto nivel en Madrid para intentar en un futuro, no en el 2036, optar a los Juegos", ha afirmado el presidente del COE.

Madrid optó tres veces de forma consecutiva a acoger los Juegos Olímpicos de 2012, 2016 y 2020, que fueron concedidos respectivamente a Londres, Río de Janeiro y Tokio.

https://www.rtve.es/deportes/20220322/madrid2036-coe-cancela-candidatura-olimpica/2320281.shtml

"Nosotros (el COE) cuando hablamos con el COI de las posibilidades que había, nos dijeron que las posibilidades son de invierno. Están dados los juegos de París (2024), los de Los Ángeles (2028) y los de Brisbane (2032) y la recomendación que nos dijeron para los del 2036 es que Madrid no se presente", agregó.

The IOC went in and told COE to go try this crazy thing instead of Madrid.

The continuous dialogue right there! This could be indication of new frontiers to 2036 too?...

1 hour ago, Guilga said:

https://www.rtve.es/deportes/20220322/madrid2036-coe-cancela-candidatura-olimpica/2320281.shtml

The IOC went in and told COE to go try this crazy thing instead of Madrid.

The continuous dialogue right there! This could be indication of new frontiers to 2036 too?...

Nah, the way the world is in for now, the IOC is probably not looking for new frontiers. 2036 is anyway still way down the road, it could still happen that in two years they tell the Spanish NOC to give it a try anyway (but as I commented in the Madrid thread just now, JAS Junior might want to pull strings in favor of Catalunya again).

2036 should be a European turn anyway, and there's still perhaps the UK or even Germany (I know, I'm sceptical myself because of the historical implications) which could be up for it.

Just now, Chris_Mex said:

Zaminamina e e waka waka e e zaminamina zangalewa it's time for africa

Fencing 1976 has already declared that he'd want an olympics to take part in the african continent 2040 or before. Maybe IOC could have a FIFA style approach towards the next bids, and as 2022 youth olympics, only allow african bids for 2036 or 2040, I'd say that an egyptian bid with the current construction of an olympic sized park in their new capital makes sense for a future bid, or if we are becoming a little bit nostalgic, maybe johannesburg can host it, they already have an athletics stadium (with the possibility of adding a temporary grandstand), and a 94k stadium for soccer finals and ceremonies, also it seems like the terrain surrounding the FNB stadium can be turned into a johannesburg 2036 olympic park. Another country I wouldn't rule out is india, the next china with its new olympic park in ahmedabad, it can be an indian style beijing 2008

Bach only “declared” that because he wanted to try to use it as a smokescreen from the geopolitical fallout that was Beijing 2022. It was nothing more than mere lip-service at best.

And let’s be realistic here, but the only country in Africa that could truly host the Olympics is South Africa. And even that is pushing it nowadays. Durban also seems like the more likely candidate as well. Since they too also have the all-important Olympic stadium ready to go, & the Kings precinct sports complex. They also have the most suitable weather, over Johannesburg, during the all-crucial July 15-Aug 31st. time window.

And India is pretty much ruled out just from the time window aspect alone, since it’s monsoon season there during July/Aug. anyway.

18 hours ago, FYI said:

Bach only “declared” that because he wanted to try to use it as a smokescreen from the geopolitical fallout that was Beijing 2022. It was nothing more than mere lip-service at best.

And let’s be realistic here, but the only country in Africa that could truly host the Olympics is South Africa. And even that is pushing it nowadays. Durban also seems like the more likely candidate as well. Since they too also have the all-important Olympic stadium ready to go, & the Kings precinct sports complex. They also have the most suitable weather, over Johannesburg, during the all-crucial July 15-Aug 31st. time window.

And India is pretty much ruled out just from the time window aspect alone, since it’s monsoon season there during July/Aug. anyway.

I don't know, that might be after the 2026 Youth Olympics in Dakar (Senegal).

All the rigamarole of getting bid cities and finding suitable hosts for the winter/summer Olympic games is why I'm not a big fan of the traveling-circus format of the IOC.

I'm guessing most people, by contrast, like the idea of different places presenting the games every four years. But that's causing miscues like Beijing 2008/2022 or Rio 2016.

There was no "miscue" with Rio 2016, other than media over-hype hysteria. Nor with Beijing 2008 for that matter. 2022 is another story altogether, which has already been discussed in other threads ad-naseum.

But the "traveling-circus" nature of the Olympics, IS what makes them very appealing ITFP. I mean, how BORING, for example, would be it be to have the Olympics in L.A. every cycle, or the Winter Olympics all the time in SLC. Not to mention, it's also been discussed before, that having a single city put up with that burden every four years, is also non-sustainable for many other reasons.

3 hours ago, Olympics2028 said:

All the rigamarole of getting bid cities and finding suitable hosts for the winter/summer Olympic games is why I'm not a big fan of the traveling-circus format of the IOC.

I'm guessing most people, by contrast, like the idea of different places presenting the games every four years. But that's causing miscues like Beijing 2008/2022 or Rio 2016.

You're on a site called Games Bids.  So yea, not surprisingly, we're fans of the travelling circus.

To piggyback off of FYI's post.. Rio wasn't a miscue.  Not the IOC's fault the Brazilian economy struggled in the years after they were awarded the Olympics.  Likewise with Athens who couldn't have anticipated the rise in security costs post-9/11.  Beijing was a miscue, largely because they scared off multiple worthy candidates.  Sochi was a miscue for obvious reasons.

But here's the good news.. the IOC is off their new frontier kick.  They're not trying to force an Olympics into plays that seem exotic and look nice on a map.  Paris is safe hands.  Milano-Cortina will hopefully be free of controversy.  And despite your misplaced notions of LA's success because you don't like where the flagpoles might be located, they're probably going to be a smash hit.

We'll see how serious this Spain bid it.  Feels very new frontier and could be something of the travelling circus the IOC would like to avoid.  The good news is that the IOC is no longer simply going for the flashiest bidder.  Those days - at the expense of a lot of discussion points on this site - are likely long gone.  The even better news is that for the first time in what seems like forever, there are no questionable hosts on the future calendar.  Hopefully it stays that way for awhile

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FYI said:

There was no "miscue" with Rio 2016, other than media over-hype hysteria.

Covid-19 ruined Tokyo's games. The general financial/cultural/political nature of Brazil ruined Rio's games.

In both cases, too many venues had spectators dressed up as empty seats. That put a damper on those Olympic games. Even the 2016 marathon seemed to draw fewer bystanders than I've ever seen at past games.

In the case of Sydney 2000, London 2012 or Atlanta 1996, I wasn't wowed by aspects of them. But the large attendance that those games generated is why I wouldn't mind seeing the Olympics return to certainly Sydney and London. 

• Sir Rols changed the title to Pyrenees-Barcelona-Zaragoza 2030