Jump to content

Wasteful 2026 sliding track costs


Recommended Posts

Just as the IOC and its host cities want to trim costs as reasonably possible, here comes the Italians with pretty much building a THIRD sliding track (on their 3rd WOG hosting) after dismantling the Cesana Pariol track for 2006.  They're learning fast from US cities who quickly discard semi-old stadia like a pair of yesterday's shoes.  It sure doesn't bode well for future cheaper, less-white-elephants games.  

Why not just ditch the whole "sport" like the Summers will be doing to Weightlifting, Boxing and the Equestrian in the Modern Pentathlon?  It's really an outdated, incredibly expensive sport to keep in the program.  

Plans presented for renovation of Milan Cortina 2026 sliding track (insidethegames.biz)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Just as the IOC and its host cities want to trim costs as reasonably possible, here comes the Italians with pretty much building a THIRD sliding track (on their 3rd WOG hosting) after dismantling the Cesana Pariol track for 2006.  They're learning fast from US cities who quickly discard semi-old stadia like a pair of yesterday's shoes.  It sure doesn't bode well for future cheaper, less-white-elephants games.  

Why not just ditch the whole "sport" like the Summers will be doing to Weightlifting, Boxing and the Equestrian in the Modern Pentathlon?  It's really an outdated, incredibly expensive sport to keep in the program.  

Plans presented for renovation of Milan Cortina 2026 sliding track (insidethegames.biz)

The sliding track serves 3 sports.  If you get rid of the venue, you'd have to slash all 3 from the program.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Unlike the ones in, say, Yanqing or PyeongChang, this one actually has a chance to see events on a regular basis after the games. Sliding sports are rather popular in Italy, so there can be a viable legacy for this venue. The Cortina sliding track was in regular use until its closure in 2008 and I don't see why it couldn't be again.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

IMO, the Italians really screwed up when they dismantled the Torino track. The ideal solution would be to use an existing track in either Innsbruck or St. Moritz. Trouble is, there's such anti-Olympic sentiment in Switzerland and Austria right now that I highly doubt the locals would go for hosting any Olympic events.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/27/2021 at 8:14 AM, baron-pierreIV said:

Really?  Then why did they dismantle the new one for Torino?  :blink:  That one would only have been 20 years old by 2026?  

The refrigerating system bursted and needed replacement. I can't find out who owned the track, but it was most likely local authorities who were incapable and/or unwilling to finance costly refurbishments that, under normal conditions, would not have been necessar until decades later.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, munichfan said:

The refrigerating system bursted and needed replacement. I can't find out who owned the track, but it was most likely local authorities who were incapable and/or unwilling to finance costly refurbishments that, under normal conditions, would not have been necessar until decades later.

 

Then that was poor management on CONI's part.  Why didn't they ensure a legacy that would've kept the track solvent and going?  So foolish.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Italy can support one sliding track with fairly modest subsidy. But they need to pick a site and a plan that will fit the long term needs of sliding sports in the country, and not just the two week event. IIRC that was the root of the problems in Torino: a defective refrigeration system was built in a rush to meet the deadline for the Olympics.

It's really frustrating to see that the debate has devolved into either building palatial facilities to satisfy the federations vs nothing at all. Providing winter recreation is worth a small subsidy, and I wouldn't be opposed to building modest winter sports facilities in my home state (like rebuilding the Bakke Hill ski jumps) even without any international sports championships. But any facility built needs to meet the needs of the local community first and the IOC and the federations second.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, iceman530 said:

Sliding track sports are on borrowed time.  Those sports are going to get axed out of economic necessity eventually.

Now that pretty much every major winter sports nation has built such a monstrosity in their backyard, sliding sports aren't going anywhere anytime soon, I guess.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/4/2022 at 8:59 PM, munichfan said:

Now that pretty much every major winter sports nation 

Well, not really.  Sweden had to borrow Sigulda in Latvia for their last WOG bid.  The UK, Spain, Brazil, the Netherlands and Ukraine don't have working ones.  Italy will have to build another one.  While Curling has probably less adherents, it doesn't cost an arm and a leg to put up a curling venue.  And you can quickly disassemble it without too much cost or unforeseen consequences.  It's like the America's Cup race.  It's only for the rich winter nations.  When a poor, odd nation like Jamaica joins, it becomes the butt of jokes.  So right there alone, it's a very discrininatory sport.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's not just the sliding track that's a waste. Milan also has to build a new ice hockey arena and plan to extensively renovate an existing outdoor speed skating oval. The arena is planned for the Santa Giulia area which has been beset by construction problems not to mention there's no permanent tenant set for the arena and Milan when the Mediolanum Forum in nearby Assago already fulfills the role of a multi-purpose venue. The existing oval in Baselga di Pine requires extensive renovations of which the IOC has already raised concerns even going a far as to suggest the organizers install a temporary ice oval at Arena Civica (it would be cheaper not to mention finally bringing the option of speed skating in open air back which hasn't been done since Albertville). Combine these two with the sliding track and this suddenly gets very expensive.

Remember, there was a reason Turin was originally on board. Turin had the speed skating oval and the ice hockey arenas ready to go, but big egos prevailed and Milan decided to technically go it alone with Cortina. If Turin was still on board, the costs would be much cheaper.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/15/2022 at 6:27 PM, stryker said:

It's not just the sliding track that's a waste. Milan also has to build a new ice hockey arena and plan to extensively renovate an existing outdoor speed skating oval. The arena is planned for the Santa Giulia area which has been beset by construction problems not to mention there's no permanent tenant set for the arena and Milan when the Mediolanum Forum in nearby Assago already fulfills the role of a multi-purpose venue. The existing oval in Baselga di Pine requires extensive renovations of which the IOC has already raised concerns even going a far as to suggest the organizers install a temporary ice oval at Arena Civica (it would be cheaper not to mention finally bringing the option of speed skating in open air back which hasn't been done since Albertville). Combine these two with the sliding track and this suddenly gets very expensive.

Remember, there was a reason Turin was originally on board. Turin had the speed skating oval and the ice hockey arenas ready to go, but big egos prevailed and Milan decided to technically go it alone with Cortina. If Turin was still on board, the costs would be much cheaper.

The thing is, drab/ugly Milano/Lombardia wants to remain as Top Dog in northern Italy -- and is ready to do anything to ensure that Torino/Piemonte will always know and keep its place as La Citta/regione Secunda di norte d'Italia -- at any cost.  As you said, egos.  

Edited by baron-pierreIV
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...