The shot-put events of "ATHENS 2004"

I have just read that the shot put events of Athens 2004, which are held in the ancient Olympia caused damages - therefore the responsible Greek authorities forbid all sports events in Olympia for the future - just medal ceremonies will be allowed and the number of spectators will be limited...

I have just read that the shot put events of Athens 2004, which are held in the ancient Olympia caused damages - therefore the responsible Greek authorities forbid all sports events in Olympia for the future - just medal ceremonies will be allowed and the number of spectators will be limited...

where did you read that whats the web address

I think it's more the crowds that caused the 'damage' than the actual sports competition itself.  But what did they expect?  A couple of convent schoolgirls who would respect the surroundings?  Duh!

A few GamesBidders were spotted by security cameras lifting some left-over Doric pedestals and stuffing them into Glad plastic bags.

... it is an article in the F.A.Z.

I think it's more the crowds that caused the 'damage' than the actual sports competition itself.

In the article it is said, that the damages were caused by both...

- furthermore it is mentioned that the damages have been kept in secret so far, because of political and touristical issues...

It's German, so I can't understand what it says!

HOC's president is member of IAAF board, and also president of an athletics club in Athens 'Panellinios' and owner of a TV channel in Greece.

He proposed to IAAF and IOC every May to hold a meeting in Ancient Olympia at the ancient stadium.

The Central Archaelogical Board, said that this isn't possible, because antiquites may be harmed, so they didn't allow this event to take place.

The president then from his TV channel started having opinions of athletes, polititians, other archaelogists saying that it's a fantastic idea, and this could help to promote Greece, to bring more tourists and yada yada yada.

Finally, they allow him to organize the event.

This is HOC response

Friday, March 24, 2006 1:15 PM

During the last days, several articles and reports have been published concerning the event to take place in the ancient stadium of Ancient Olympia.

The Hellenic Olympic Committee wishes to point out:

1. The Men’s and Women’s shot put event during the 2004 Olympic Games, in front of 15.000 spectators, deeply moved the entire world and became the starting point to the organization of a sport event in the same sacred venue. This event will take place every year and will be the opening of the International Sport activity of Classical Sports.

2. This initiative was wholeheartedly welcomed both by the Olympic Movement and the IAAF; it was also discussed and approved unanimously by the Plenary Session of the HOC.

3. Its aim is to promote the country, to highlight the sacred venue, the Olympic values of the Olympic education and the Ideals born in their natural place. Moreover, the tourist development of the area with natural beauty is being upgraded. All this will happen with respect to the archeological site (the field in particular), where temporary interventions will be made, without a trace of cement, as it has been defamed. At the end of the event, the stadium will immediately come to its former condition.

4. For the abovementioned reasons, there has been a strict selection of events, which do not affect in any way the Ancient Stadium.

As for what caf says I haven't heard anything at all anywhere.

The Olympic Games were held at the Ancient Stadium, that's an empty area with no antiquites. It could be that thousands of people were there for the event, but the same happens every 2 years when they light the flame, and everyday of course from the tourists.

I think that the report has more to do with the event in Olympia that HOC wants to organize.

--------------

The other thing that come up is that the minister of culture said it would be a good idea to build a modern stadium somewhere near Ancient Olympia and to organize there sport events.

Does 'Ancient Olympia 2096' sound ok?  :)

that is contradictional to the article - it is saying that the "Central Greek Archeaological Council" forbid that this "track and field" event will be held in ancient Olympia, because the shot-put events of Athens 2004 damaged the place...

... by the way what is HOC? The Greek track and field association?

OK, here's the translation of the FAZ article:

Sports ban in ancient Olympia

The ancient stadium of Olympia will not be released for athletic events. The Central Archaeological Council (KAS) made this decision on Wednesday, Greek national radio said. The stadium and the grandstands can't withstand the pressure.

Under Greek law, the decision of the board is binding for the authorities and thus terminates all plans for an annual athletics event organised by the Greek Olympic Comittee (EOE) and the World Athletics Federation at the ancient place. The kickoff had been planned for May.

The Archaelogical Council decided that now only victory ceremonies may be held in the ancient stadium. The number of spectators was limited to 3,000. For the planned competitions, a permission for a capacity of 15,000 spectators had been requested.

During the Olympic Games of Athens in August 2004 the shot put events for men and women had been held in the stadium of Olympia. All resulting damages had been concealed out of political and touristy reasons, the Greek press reported.

So, from what I read at Greek sites today.

They didn't say anywhere that there were damages during the shot put events of Athens 2004.

The Central Archaelogical Board is worried about the constructions that will be used for the games. They want to put more or less 120 tones of equipments inside the stadium of Ancient Olympia, and the archaelogists are worried what can happen to the 'arena' of the stadium with so much weight.

So, they propose to have that Games outside the Archaelogical site of Ancient Olympia, and they allow the victory ceremonies to be held inside the stadium.

So, from what I read at Greek sites today.

They didn't say anywhere that there were damages during the shot put events of Athens 2004.

The Central Archaelogical Board is worried about the constructions that will be used for the games. They want to put more or less 120 tones of equipments inside the stadium of Ancient Olympia, and the archaelogists are worried what can happen to the 'arena' of the stadium with so much weight.

So, they propose to have that Games outside the Archaelogical site of Ancient Olympia, and they allow the victory ceremonies to be held inside the stadium.

Pyrros2004,

that is nearly the same what the F.A.Z. article said - the Central Archaelogical Board forbid the sport events in ancient Olympia - just the victory ceremonies are allowed.

The reason of this decision by that board is just left out = the damages during the Olympic Games 2004

A few GamesBidders were spotted by security cameras lifting some left-over Doric pedestals and stuffing them into Glad plastic bags.

What can I say _ they make nice paperweights.

:laughlong:   Who got the Cychedelic head?  I only got the arms of some goddess.

I shouldn't probably tell you, but instead of placing the head and the statues somewhere around the Olympic Stadium, so people could see them, they just left them in a corner and even grass is growing around them....

:laughlong:   Who got the Cychedelic head?  I only got the arms of some goddess.

I shouldn't probably tell you, but instead of placing the head and the statues somewhere around the Olympic Stadium, so people could see them, they just left them in a corner and even grass is growing around them....

I understand the 'natural' look of things.  It's very organic and P.C.   :wink:

Any spare Herculean torsos or loins laying about?

- furthermore it is mentioned that the damages have been kept in secret so far, because of political and touristical issues...

Maybe that's how the Elgin marbles were taken the first time?    :hmm:

If the Greek authorities managed to get pictorial evidence it would be interesting to see if the plunderers all worked for the British Museum.

:P

Any spare Herculean torsos or loins laying about?

... apropos torso and loins - when I was in Berlin last weekend I saw in a shop window a baking dish in the form of a male torso with nipples.

It was a pitty that the shop was close because of Easter, but I think I will buy it when I am in Berlin again...

:devil:

Archived