Jump to content

Salt Lake City Olympic bid leadership engage in “positive” call with IOC President Bach


GBModerator
 Share

Recommended Posts

International Olympic Committee (IOC) President Thomas Bach engaged with the Salt Lake City Winter Olympics bid committee Monday during a virtual call that was described as “very productive and positive” by bid Chair Catherine Raney Norman. The two-and-a-half hour online meeting was hastily organized after the emerging Omicron Covid-19 variant threat derailed plans for an […]

The post Salt Lake City Olympic bid leadership engage in “positive” call with IOC President Bach appeared first on GamesBids.com.

View the full article

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just get it done, if you wait till Beijing, there won't be any Americans there to see it :ph34r:. Then hope Sapporo will come through for 34, or possibly even France if Paris gives them Olympics fever - they don't normally do referendums and it'd scratch the Europe itch for another 8 years. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, FYI said:

"It could happen at 'any time' when the parties come together with a meeting of the minds". Bullock said

Sounds like some sort of announcement is coming soon. 

I promise you I'm not saying this to be contrarian, but I disagree agree.  Also from the report.. 

But Bullock refused guess when the USOPC would select either the 2030 or 2034 edition, explaining that the governing body has instead focused on the delivery of teams for the Tokyo 2020 Games held this past summer and the Beijing 2022 Winter Games in February, both amid an ongoing pandemic.

Here's my read on the situation.  We know Salt Lake is ready to jump at the chance to host another Olympics, whether it's 2030 or 2034, the minute the IOC gives them the opportunity.  So the "it could happen at any time" line reads less to me like a decision is imminent and more that SLC is on alert for the day that call comes in.  Could be next week.  Could be next month.  Could be a year from now.  Yes, the IOC announced Brisbane right before Tokyo, but I don't know they're going to do that again.  As I know we both agree on, Salt Lake is an obvious choice as a candidate and would likely deliver a stellar Olympics.  But they still need to finalize their plans first and it might make a big difference if it's 2030 versus 2034, to say nothing of the sponsorship issue with the USOPC.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

No city has yet been elevated to Targeted Dialogue as the preferred candidate for 2030.

That has to happen before anything.

The process is set and clear.   No ifs or buts.

The Future Host Commission completes it’s report to the IOC Executive Board recommending the elevation of a candidate to Targeted Dialogue.

If the EB agrees with the Future Host Commission, that candidate is in the box seat for those Games.

We think we might know or guess who that candidate might be.

But until that elevation to Targeted Dialogue is announced to the world by the IOC President, we can only speculate.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Australian Kiwi said:

I like the bit how Bach and Coates have just decided that they can have a continuous phone conversation dialogue and then a few months later a singular candidate is announced. The ambiguity is laughable. 

Don’t be ridiculous.   So you missed an entire section of the new process?

The IOC President is not on the Summer Games Future Host Commission and was not involved in Targeted Dialogue with Brisbane 2032

Report of the Future Host Commission to the IOC Executive Board - Targeted Dialogue - Brisbane 2032

 

The IOC President is also not on the Winter Games Future Host Commission and will not be involved in Targeted Dialogue with the elevated 2030 candidate whenever that is announced.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Australian Kiwi said:

They'll notice when Doha is suddenly named 'Preferred Candidate' for 2036 on the eve of the Paris Olympics.

The Summer Games can only be held in July/August.

Unless the IOC and the international sporting federations want to wipe out athletes, officials and spectators altogether in the baking extreme 40 degree heat of Doha day and night, then Doha does not have a hope in hell of ever getting the Summer Olympics in 2036 or any other year ever under the current IOC rules.

 So you need ‘t ever worry about that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, AustralianFan said:

Don’t be ridiculous.   So you missed an entire section of the new process?

The IOC President is not on the Summer Games Future Host Commission and was not involved in Targeted Dialogue with Brisbane 2032

Report of the Future Host Commission to the IOC Executive Board - Targeted Dialogue - Brisbane 2032

 

The IOC President is also not on the Winter Games Future Host Commission and will not be involved in Targeted Dialogue with the elevated 2030 candidate whenever that is announced.

 

You're oblivious if you think Bach has no involvement with the future host commissions. Both are stacked with Bach loyalists. It's nothing more than a rubber stamp for who he wants as a host.

Let's not forget the IOC can change the rules any time it wants whether in public or in secret. Bottom line is the IOC needs SLC for 2030 because they are the only reliable and safe host right now.  So yes it's a matter of when it's done not and certainly not entirely in line with the new norm procedure.

SLC has Bach and the IOC over a very large barrel here.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, stryker said:

You're oblivious if you think Bach has no involvement with the future host commissions. Both are stacked with Bach loyalists. It's nothing more than a rubber stamp for who he wants as a host.

Let's not forget the IOC can change the rules any time it wants whether in public or in secret. Bottom line is the IOC needs SLC for 2030 because they are the only reliable and safe host right now.  So yes it's a matter of when it's done not and certainly not entirely in line with the new norm procedure.

SLC has Bach and the IOC over a very large barrel here.

Disagree.  Sapporo is still out there.  Sure, their public support could drop at any moment, but ignoring them is a foolish decision.  SLC 2030 means dealing with USOPC sponsorship issues from LA28, plus it devalues future TV rights with NBC locked in through 2032.  No, the IOC doesn't need SLC for 2030.  They can still explore other avenues (well, just the 1 before they cut off everyone else), and then if those don't work out, SLC is ready to accept the invitation at any time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Quaker2001 said:

Disagree.  Sapporo is still out there.  Sure, their public support could drop at any moment, but ignoring them is a foolish decision.  SLC 2030 means dealing with USOPC sponsorship issues from LA28, plus it devalues future TV rights with NBC locked in through 2032.  No, the IOC doesn't need SLC for 2030.  They can still explore other avenues (well, just the 1 before they cut off everyone else), and then if those don't work out, SLC is ready to accept the invitation at any time.

Fair enough but the PR issue is going to be a difficult hurdle for Sapporo to overcome especially when the final financial numbers for Tokyo are released. Maybe Sapporo cannot be dismissed entirely yet but I don't see a compelling argument made from either the organizers in Sapporo or the IOC that would reverse public opinion other than "this is not Tokyo we promise this will be different."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, stryker said:

Fair enough but the PR issue is going to be a difficult hurdle for Sapporo to overcome especially when the final financial numbers for Tokyo are released. Maybe Sapporo cannot be dismissed entirely yet but I don't see a compelling argument made from either the organizers in Sapporo or the IOC that would reverse public opinion other than "this is not Tokyo we promise this will be different."

I honestly don’t know from any polling where Sapporo residents public opinion sits right now.

I know that support for Tokyo 2020 started swinging backing in support of the Tokyo 2020 once the Games had actually started.   There are several media reports about this.

But where Sapporo residents’ public support for a Winter Olympics candidature sits right now and whether any early polling is indicating majority support ahead of a formal public survey, I have no idea.

Quaker2001 is right, Sapporo is not out of this race at this point in time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Can anyone make sense of the insidethe games story that  ". . . WITHOUT audiences, the Tokyo 2020 Org Comm saved $1 billion dollars"?  :blink:  Is that like, we wouldn't have to worry about attacks of appendicitis if nature was wise enough NOT to give us an appendix?   Or is the logic, or lack of it, far more than a mere mortal can comprehend? 

Is that how the JOC is trying to sell Sapporo's chances also by saying that the Sapporo budget will be cut by 20% -- as if that would let also the Japanese citizens off the hook for any more unforeseen emergencies?  

Tokyo 2020 would make a really interesting case study, considering that the Org Committee supposedly had like $75 million left over from their failed bid for 2016 -- thus forcing them to go for 2020.  And then, of course, from a solvent position of $75 million PLUS at the start of the 2020 campaign to, what? $15 billion in the red at the end of the whole journey?   If this hadn't happened in the world's 3rd strongest economy, governments would have fallen yesterday.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Quaker2001 said:

I promise you I'm not saying this to be contrarian, but I disagree agree.  Also from the report.. 

But Bullock refused guess when the USOPC would select either the 2030 or 2034 edition, explaining that the governing body has instead focused on the delivery of teams for the Tokyo 2020 Games held this past summer and the Beijing 2022 Winter Games in February, both amid an ongoing pandemic.

Here's my read on the situation.  We know Salt Lake is ready to jump at the chance to host another Olympics, whether it's 2030 or 2034, the minute the IOC gives them the opportunity.  So the "it could happen at any time" line reads less to me like a decision is imminent and more that SLC is on alert for the day that call comes in.  Could be next week.  Could be next month.  Could be a year from now.  Yes, the IOC announced Brisbane right before Tokyo, but I don't know they're going to do that again.  As I know we both agree on, Salt Lake is an obvious choice as a candidate and would likely deliver a stellar Olympics.  But they still need to finalize their plans first and it might make a big difference if it's 2030 versus 2034, to say nothing of the sponsorship issue with the USOPC.  

What else was he suppose to say? Especially when he was "pressed for a 'progress report' from Gamesbids.com". :lol:

He was backed into a corner, with a direct question, like most journalists do, & then Bullock (lol that name) answered diplomatically & as neutral as possible, like most people in his position do. Of course he's not going to spill the beans of any dealings that are going on behind closed doors. He's not gonna say - "yeah, the IOC is absolutely ready to give us 2030, or a double is in the works with Sapporo". 

Either way, though, something is coming down the pike sometime soon. Maybe not "the" direct 'decision', but certainly a "targeted dialog, preferred candidate" or whatever else the IOC wants to call it these days, to help solidify their favored choices. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

From what I've seen, it's sometime "early next year". Haven't seen anything more specific than that. So, in that sense, I can still see Sapporo being moved to 'targeted dialog', along with SLC, sometime around Beijing 2022. And then 'wait-&-see' what those "public opinion surveys" have to say, to determine if SLC then becomes 'preferred candidate' for 2030, or if a 'double' 30/34 is on the horizon. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, FYI said:

From what I've seen, it's sometime "early next year". Haven't seen anything more specific than that. So, in that sense, I can still see Sapporo being moved to 'targeted dialog', along with SLC, sometime around Beijing 2022. And then 'wait-&-see' what those "public opinion surveys" have to say, to determine if SLC then becomes 'preferred candidate' for 2030, or if a 'double' 30/34 is on the horizon. 

I feel like any discussions with Sapporo need to hold off until after Beijing.  Give them a little more time for Tokyo to be in the rear view mirror.  Although I'd be concerned that if Beijing doesn't go well (aside from from the obvious geo-political issues they'll have to deal with), that could be a turn-off for some in Japan to want to go at another Winter Olympics

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If Beijing goes badly, that's all the better for Sapporo - they'll be presented with the chance to do 'like Beijing, only better'. When we're dealing with fine margins, the chance to outdo China might be something that can help the pro Olympics campaign get that little bit of extra public support that turns a bid from a dodo into a gogo. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, yoshi said:

If Beijing goes badly, that's all the better for Sapporo - they'll be presented with the chance to do 'like Beijing, only better'. When we're dealing with fine margins, the chance to outdo China might be something that can help the pro Olympics campaign get that little bit of extra public support that turns a bid from a dodo into a gogo. 

I don't know about that.  Any issues with Beijing might left a bad taste in the mouths of Sapporo citizens who won't want them to risk having a bad Olympics. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...