Perth 2026

The original Perth 2026 thread appears to have been accidentally deleted recently by gamesbids.com in the same way the original Brisbane 2032 thread was accidentally deleted with apologies kindly given by a games bids.com moderator.

This new Perth 2026 thread has a brief history of the posts as best as I can remember them since Perth Lord Mayor Basil Zempilas first floated the idea at the 2021 AFL Grand Final in Perth at the end of September 2021.

Apologies for this initial flurry of posts while I catch up with the timeline of posts in rebuilding the thread about this topic as best I can.

On 9/26/2021 at 8:18 AM, Victorian said:

On 9/26/2021 at 7:25 PM, Rob. said:

Optus is s gorgeous stadium. Could it hold a track?

On 9/26/2021 at 8:24 PM, AustralianFan said:

Yes it can.  

It’s a multi-purpose stadium and can be switched to various modes.

Optus Stadium - Athletics mode

• “Capable of hosting international athletics events, such as the IAAF World Championships and meets Commonwealth Games requirements.”
  • “Removable concrete plats on the lower bowl to facilitate reconfiguration into athletics mode.”
  • “60,000 seating capacity.”
  • “Media facilities with the capability to accommodate an increased contingent for international events.”

On 9/26/2021 at 8:25 PM, Rob. said:

Ideal then!

xx

On 9/26/2021 at 8:56 PM, AustralianFan said:

If there is the political will from the State and Federal Governments, then this “emergency solution” for the 2026 Commonwealth Games in Perth can be pulled in the 5 years remaining.

The WA State Premier Mark McGowan is enjoying massive political support from the people of WA after keeping the state COVID-free wtih his very popular (to WA residents) hard borders policy. His government was just re-elected in March in the biggest landslide wipeout in the state’s history.

He can almost walk on water with WA Voters so its a matter the if he is willing to support a 2026 CWG in Perth. I have a gut feeling he would support the bid.

That leaves the Australian Government and if they would support it.

(this 2026 CWG hist topic is also being discussed on the other 2026 CWG thread)

Perth 2026 Venues ?

As a Perth boy living in Melbourne now, here is a very quick off the cuff scan of possible venues for such a Games in 2026:

• Athletics/Ceremonies - Optus Stadium - 60,000 - multi-mode, hi-tech
  • Aquatics/Swimming/Diving - Perth Superdrome complex - has hosted the FINA World Swimming Championships twice at the Superdrome Aquatic complex in 1991 and 1998. Used 15,000 capacity temporary grandstands as in CWG 2018 Gold Coast
  • Badminton - Perth Badminton Arena
  • Basketball - WA Basketball Centre
  • Beach Volleyball - Scarborough Beach - temporary grandstand
  • Boxing - Perry Lakes Basketball Stadium
  • Cricket T20 - WACA 
  • Cycling Track - SpeedDome velodrome
  • Gymnastics - Perth Arena - 15,500 large hi-tech large CBD arena which hosts NBL Team Perth Wildcats,and Tennis tournaments
  • Hockey - Perth Hockey Stadium
  • Judo - at one of a number of indoor community sports centres ,similar to CWG 2018 Gold Coast 
  • Lawn Bowls - North Perth Lawn Bowls Centre
  • Mountain Biking - Kalamunda Mountain Bike Park
  • Netball - State Netball Centre
  • Rugby Sevens - Joondalup Arena
  • Shooting - Whiteman Park
  • Squash - The Squash Factory 
  • Table Tennis at one of a number of indoor community sports centres ,similar to CWG 2018 Gold Coast
  • Triathlon - Swan River, Kings Park
  • Weightlifting - Perth Concert Hall
  • Wrestling at one of a number of indoor community sports centres ,similar to CWG 2018 Gold Coast

On 9/26/2021 at 11:04 PM, yoshi said:

Isn't Basil Zempilas the guy who was standing by Joanna Griggs as she savaged the 2018 closing ceremony? Sure I remember that name - didn't know he'd got in charge of Perth. Whatever, I'd still rather somewhere else finally hosted - the UK/Australia alternation is getting boring now - and if it needs to be Australia, I'd rather Adelaide as the one that's never done it, but Perth's got that wonderful stadium and I'm certain they'll do a great job of it. And at least it's not a suburb pretending to be a city :P

On 9/27/2021 at 7:12 AM, AustralianFan said:

Replied to this post at the Perth 2026 thread :)

On 10/8/2021 at 5:29 PM, Gonzo said:

.... is a buffoon

Anyway .... CGF claims the host for 2026 will be announced in March next year

On 10/9/2021 at 12:14 AM, yoshi said:

When will the decision be made, I assume it's being delegated to Commonwealth Games Australia, like with the Birmingham/Liverpool decision was just England's. Hopefully we will have a host city of some kind before Birmingham, so it can be handed over. 

On 10/9/2021 at 4:18 AM, Victorian said:

On 9/26/2021 at 8:56 PM, AustralianFan said:

If there is the political will from the State and Federal Governments, then this “emergency solution” for the 2026 Commonwealth Games in Perth can be pulled in the 5 years remaining.

The WA State Premier Mark McGowan is enjoying massive political support from the people of WA after keeping the state COVID-free wtih his very popular (to WA residents) hard borders policy. His government was just re-elected in March in the biggest landslide wipeout in the state’s history.

He can almost walk on water with WA Voters so its a matter the if he is willing to support a 2026 CWG in Perth. I have a gut feeling he would support the bid.

That leaves the Australian Government and if they would support it.

(this 2026 CWG hist topic is also being discussed on the other 2026 CWG thread)

Perth 2026 Venues ?

As a Perth boy living in Melbourne now, here is a very quick off the cuff scan of possible venues for such a Games in 2026:

• Athletics/Ceremonies - Optus Stadium - 60,000 - multi-mode, hi-tech
  • Aquatics/Swimming/Diving - Perth Superdrome complex - has hosted the FINA World Swimming Championships twice at the Superdrome Aquatic complex in 1991 and 1998. Used 15,000 capacity temporary grandstands as in CWG 2018 Gold Coast
  • Badminton - Perth Badminton Arena
  • Basketball - WA Basketball Centre
  • Beach Volleyball - Scarborough Beach - temporary grandstand
  • Boxing - Perry Lakes Basketball Stadium
  • Cricket T20 - WACA 
  • Cycling Track - SpeedDome velodrome
  • Gymnastics - Perth Arena - 15,500 large hi-tech large CBD arena which hosts NBL Team Perth Wildcats,and Tennis tournaments
  • Hockey - Perth Hockey Stadium
  • Judo - at one of a number of indoor community sports centres ,similar to CWG 2018 Gold Coast 
  • Lawn Bowls - North Perth Lawn Bowls Centre
  • Mountain Biking - Kalamunda Mountain Bike Park
  • Netball - State Netball Centre
  • Rugby Sevens - Joondalup Arena
  • Shooting - Whiteman Park
  • Squash - The Squash Factory 
  • Table Tennis at one of a number of indoor community sports centres ,similar to CWG 2018 Gold Coast
  • Triathlon - Swan River, Kings Park
  • Weightlifting - Perth Concert Hall
  • Wrestling at one of a number of indoor community sports centres ,similar to CWG 2018 Gold Coast

On 9/26/2021 at 11:04 PM, yoshi said:

Isn't Basil Zempilas the guy who was standing by Joanna Griggs as she savaged the 2018 closing ceremony? Sure I remember that name - didn't know he'd got in charge of Perth. Whatever, I'd still rather somewhere else finally hosted - the UK/Australia alternation is getting boring now - and if it needs to be Australia, I'd rather Adelaide as the one that's never done it, but Perth's got that wonderful stadium and I'm certain they'll do a great job of it. And at least it's not a suburb pretending to be a city :P

On 10/8/2021 at 5:29 PM, Gonzo said:

.... is a buffoon

Anyway .... CGF claims the host for 2026 will be announced in March next year

On 10/9/2021 at 12:14 AM, yoshi said:

When will the decision be made, I assume it's being delegated to Commonwealth Games Australia, like with the Birmingham/Liverpool decision was just England's. Hopefully we will have a host city of some kind before Birmingham, so it can be handed over. 

On 10/9/2021 at 4:18 AM, Victorian said:

On 11/21/2021 at 7:48 AM, Brekkie Boy said:

The dedicated thread seems to have vanished so perhaps the idea of them hosting has too but I'd much rather see a Perth games than a Sydney games.

On 11/21/2021 at 8:55 AM, ulu said:

Didn't Perth already say no?

On 11/29/2021 at 3:04 PM, Victorian said:

On 11/29/2021 at 7:55 PM, TorchbearerSydney said:

Gina can pay for Perth to host-she can afford it!

17 hours ago, Victorian said:

15 hours ago, yoshi said:

Does he know something we don't about the future calendar of the Commonwealth Games or has he just got the years the wrong way round?

5 hours ago, Victorian said:

That was my initial thought then he came back to a reply and said his bad it is in 2026