Jump to content

IOC President looks forward to African bid to host Olympic Games in 2040


GBModerator
 Share

Recommended Posts

President of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) Thomas Bach said that he hopes to see a nation from Africa step up to bid for an Olympic Games in 2040. While lamenting that he was unable to see an Olympic Games hosted in, or awarded to Africa during his term leading the IOC, Bach told a […]

The post IOC President looks forward to African bid to host Olympic Games in 2040 appeared first on GamesBids.com.

View the full article

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This sounds like a publicity stunt by Bach to get the media's attention on the IOC away from the Beijing Olympics, the Peng Shuai saga, potential diplomatic boycotts, and the pandemic. An African bid in 2040? Zero chance. None. Even with the New Norm and Agenda 200, there's not one city on the continent capable of building the facilities that would have some benefit after the Olympics or the infrastructure necessary to handle the event. South Africa was widely tipped to have the best shot especially in the aftermath of the World Cup, but Durban couldn't even organize a CWGs, and South Africa's economy is going to take decades to recover (remember the iots that broke out as a result of food shortages recently?) Dakar can't even organize a Youth Olympics. Oran, Algeria is on the verge of having the Mediterranean Games stripped. Bach in his delirium actually thinks there's an African city out there that could host an Olympics?  

The only way it might work is if the bid is a country-wide bid from let's say South Africa holding events like athletics in Durban, cycling in Cape Town, some indoor events in Johannesburg. Even then significant investments would be needed to make it work. Given China's interest in Africa as part of its B&R initiative (there have been media reports that China now effectively "owns" the main airport in Kampala, Uganda) maybe China can come in and build the infrastructure needed for an Olympics in Africa at interest rates they know can never be repaid then China can cash in and be the Olympics' first de-facto host. An African Olympics paid for by China and then owned by China.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, stryker said:

This sounds like a publicity stunt by Bach to get the media's attention on the IOC away from the Beijing Olympics, the Peng Shuai saga, potential diplomatic boycotts, and the pandemic. An African bid in 2040? Zero chance. None. Even with the New Norm and Agenda 200, there's not one city on the continent capable of building the facilities that would have some benefit after the Olympics or the infrastructure necessary to handle the event. South Africa was widely tipped to have the best shot especially in the aftermath of the World Cup, but Durban couldn't even organize a CWGs, and South Africa's economy is going to take decades to recover (remember the iots that broke out as a result of food shortages recently?) Dakar can't even organize a Youth Olympics. Oran, Algeria is on the verge of having the Mediterranean Games stripped. Bach in his delirium actually thinks there's an African city out there that could host an Olympics?  

The only way it might work is if the bid is a country-wide bid from let's say South Africa holding events like athletics in Durban, cycling in Cape Town, some indoor events in Johannesburg. Even then significant investments would be needed to make it work. Given China's interest in Africa as part of its B&R initiative (there have been media reports that China now effectively "owns" the main airport in Kampala, Uganda) maybe China can come in and build the infrastructure needed for an Olympics in Africa at interest rates they know can never be repaid then China can cash in and be the Olympics' first de-facto host. An African Olympics paid for by China and then owned by China.

Have you seen Egypt's new administrative capital?, they are building a whole olympic park in it, with a 90k athletics stadium, surely dates and the hot climate would be THE problem, but at least they will got infrastructure by then to hold the event.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Chris_Mex said:

Have you seen Egypt's new administrative capital?, they are building a whole olympic park in it, with a 90k athletics stadium, surely dates and the hot climate would be THE problem, but at least they will got infrastructure by then to hold the event.

I have. Given Egypt's economy, I highly doubt it will be built by 2040. It's not just the hot climate either, it's the security situation given groups like ISIS are active especially in the Sinai.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This messaging is so confusing. He's alienating so many potential cities by making hosting an Olympics seem so far away and impossible. Let's be honest - calling out Africa for 2040 effectively means Europe in 2036. Potentially great hosts like Toronto or Singapore are all but locked out until 2044 and beyond. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Go Ceutta!

Go Melilla!  

I know this is sarcasm but it raises a good point as to whether Northern Africa would be considered "African" enough. I feel like Bach is specifically targeting sub-Saharan Africa (or more pointedly South Africa) with these comments. Further still it is only Durban that can host in July / August (as the 'Brisbane' of South Africa).

I can't see the IOC entertaining Casablanca or Cairo. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think Casablanca is my prediction for the 2040 Olympics, since Morocco had success in the 2019 African Games in Rabat. I think that would awesome to see Casablanca host the 2040 Olympics as not only the first ever Olympic and Paralympic Games to be held in Africa but also the first time the Olympic and Paralympic Games in the Arab World.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Australian Kiwi said:

This messaging is so confusing. He's alienating so many potential cities by making hosting an Olympics seem so far away and impossible. Let's be honest - calling out Africa for 2040 effectively means Europe in 2036. Potentially great hosts like Toronto or Singapore are all but locked out until 2044 and beyond. 

I don't find it confusing at all. This was tuned just as the WTA pulled it's events from China and accused the IOC of acting irresponsible on the Peng situation. Confidence? I think no. The good news is no one in the news media took the bait. The Olympics aren't going to Africa in 2040 given the issues I raised in my initial post. If 2036 goes to Europe as I predict, then an Asian  or North American host is well positioned for 2040.

North Africa is Africa geographically. Cultural wise that is another story. I worked with many people from the likes of Egypt, Morocco, and Tunisia when in lived in Abu Dhabi and they clearly identified themselves as part of the Arab world vs. Africa. As for Bach's fantasy, any place in Africa would do I'm sure.  The problem is no city can do it on it's own though I'd put the likes of Casablanca of Casablanca closer than Durban. That's not saying much though.

4 hours ago, SportLightning said:

I think Casablanca is my prediction for the 2040 Olympics, since Morocco had success in the 2019 African Games in Rabat. I think that would awesome to see Casablanca host the 2040 Olympics as not only the first ever Olympic and Paralympic Games to be held in Africa but also the first time the Olympic and Paralympic Games in the Arab World.

The African Games require the least amount of investment of any of the pan-continental games. Casablanca is a non starter. It's been trying to build it's new national stadium for something like 10 years now because they keep running out of money. You can't find a national stadium? You can't fund an Olympics.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think if South Africa had kept the post 2010 WC momentum going and had managed to successfully staged the 2022 Commonwealth Games then a Durban olympic bid or even games could have been possible. however the instability financially, politically and now with COVID, this is merely words from Bach to encourage silly bidding.

Morocco is the only other country stable enough to even consider but even that is a huge ask.

i think 2040 may be in the middle east, Dubai or Abu Dhabi, with 2044 either in Europe or Asia.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Australian Kiwi said:

I know this is sarcasm but it raises a good point as to whether Northern Africa would be considered "African" enough. I feel like Bach is specifically targeting sub-Saharan Africa (or more pointedly South Africa) with these comments. Further still it is only Durban that can host in July / August (as the 'Brisbane' of South Africa).

I can't see the IOC entertaining Casablanca or Cairo. 

Interesting you point this out, cause I've always thought that. I've always pictured an African Olympics to be in Sub-Saharan Africa. As someone from the other side of the world, culturally speaking, I wouldn't really consider northern Africa as "African". Moreso Middle Eastern. And if the IOC is interested in that part of the world, I always considered Istanbul as the best bet. Turkey is mainly a Muslim country & most of it is in Asia anyway, & virtually footsteps away from the Middle East, & certainly more viable & picturesque than anything else in the Middle East or Northern Africa.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, iceman530 said:

I've done the Morocco rounds five years ago, and unless things have gotten significantly better, which I doubt, that is a no-go.  that was honestly the sketchiest vacation I have ever taken in my life.  Much closer to the "adventure" realm.  

Yeah i agree, i've never been to the other continents, the only country i went outside of my country (United States) which is Mexico in Ensenada three times. Casablanca (Morocco) seems to be the perfect pick for the 2040 Olympics.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...