15th Annual GamesBids Olympic Logo Competition

yoshi

Istanbul 2036
For me, the core characteristic of Istanbul is the fact it's a merging point between west and east and all that comes from it. I connected the blue (representing the west, Istnabul's terittory in Europe, the olympic values and the future) and red (representing east, Istnabul's terittory in Asia, Turkey itself, and traditions) olympic rings rings, to create a visual representation of all this elements coming together in one single point. The overall shape also resemels a heart and represent the passion of the Turkish people, while giving a general sense of the Tulip flower which represent Turkey as well.

cFkOHRF.png

Glasgow 2034
A ceasg is a mermaid-like creature from Scottish mythology, which has the power to grant three wishes to anyone who captures her. The logo tries to merge between the ceasg and the olympic flame, to create a symbol that whoever manage to get to it can grant themselves up to three wishes - participate in the games, do their best while taking part and even win a medal.
CXFHyFc.png

• Like 2

PRESIDENTIAL ANNOUNCEMENT

Please welcome His Presidency the President of the Presidential IOC Presidency, and Olympic champion in something, MR THOMAS BARK...I mean BACH!

Thomas Bach (13951010204).jpg

"Meine Damen und Herren, wilkommen to our celebrating of ze New Jahr. I noticing zat ve have ein field of logos, vich I am delighted to see. I vill take great happy in passing these designs to meine boss...Ich mean friend President Putin for ze evaluating und vill report back mit ze THWAK.

"Make way for the real president, ya possum"

John Coates - Sarah Ewart.jpg

G'day. I'm in charge now, so listen. There are some logos here, which is good - Tom was expecting none. However. I watched last year's comp, and the thriving ones of the glory days when my mates the wombat and the yellow...thing were in charge - and compared to those, this feels like one of those Olympic bid races I used to allow. So here's what I'll do. Everyone knows how malleable the NYE deadline in these is - but if there's one thing I know, it's that there's nothing like a good, hard deadline to sort people out. Except being told they're guaranteed to win, but they won't let me do that again. So, here we go:

The new deadline, which WILL NOT move, is 1pm London time on Saturday 15/1/22.

The voting stuff, assuming the IOC still remembers how to organise that kinda thing, will start after. Aiming to finish for Xi's big do. Till then, I'm gonna offer my services to the Pommie cricket team, they need something & I think I'm a better batter than half of that rabble. Laters! ...bye Tom.

• Thanks 1

I wanted to get involved much sooner, unfortunately I struggled to find some inspiration for designs this year :(

Fortunately, I was finally able to come up with something for Glasgow 2034. I didn’t have much time to throw it together, but here’s what I came up with:

The design is inspired 

I wanted to get involved much sooner, unfortunately I struggled to find some inspiration for designs this year :(

Fortunately, I was finally able to come up with something for Glasgow 2034. I didn’t have much time to throw it together, but here’s what I came up with:

https://imgur.com/gallery/ygmzA4D

The design is inspired by, and titled, “Flower of Scotland.” Blue and white flames form petals of the flower, with a curling house with thistle colors forming the innards of the flower. 

@Olympian1010 I was just about to say your post was blank, but it's showing now :). Still time for Istanbul for you as well, well over a week until the deadline - plus I always informally allow summer submissions while the winter comp is voting. No guarantees on how long voting will take though so it's always best to be in in time. Good to see some more entries overall too, I'm thinking I should just give you all two weeks at the start :lol:

On 1/3/2022 at 1:06 PM, Victorian said:

Istanbul

ehGHbIz.png

Glasgow 2034

MbRWWgf.png

Wasn’t able to edit to explain the logos 

ISTANBUL 2036

Includes the elements of the Turkish flag as well as elements of an athlete jumping then with arms out like gymnastics and tucking legs together like Diving which no both form ‘36’. Uses elegant Turkish colours of gold for gold medal and red for Turkey. 

GLASGOW 2034

Include snowflake forming a Scottish thistle with the snowflake using Scottish kilt style colours of purple, blue and green. 

Can I participate in this logo competition since I'm studying graphic design?

yTxeDUI.png

ISTANBUL 2036

The Istanbul design is based on symmetrical Ottoman Turkish tile design and inspired by the spinning dance of Turkish dervishes. The colours are red and white, which alludes to the colours of the Turkish flag and the passion of the sun for the Summer Games. Golden yellow spinning stars near the centre of the emblem alludes to the athletes that will become stars of the Games. Spinning red Fez hats further connote the traditional Turkish dervish dance. The circular shape of the emblem represents Istanbul as an intercontinental city and as a meeting place for people from all corners of the world to come together to celebrate a magic event. 

6jyW6mH.png

GLASGOW 2034

The Glasgow design is based on a variety of Scottish and Winter symbols. The emblem takes the form of a purple thistle flower; a widely celebrated floral symbol of Scotland where its petals reach out to welcome everyone to Glasgow. The petals are styled into ski jumping slopes that allow for a snow white field of play at the bottom and an abstract representation of the Glasgow Event Campus, a famous landmark of Glasgow, at the top. White horizontal lines on the slope petals and the white spaces between the petal slopes allow for an abstract representation of a traditional Scottish Tartan pattern enhancing a Winter Olympic Games made in Scotland.

This is my design for Istanbul 2036:

Destination Istanbul

https://imgur.com/xgdmJXl5l5HN2g.png

Destination Istanbul connects two powerful symbols that capture the spirit of these Olympic Games.

The pin. Ever since its start of use in navigation apps such as Google Maps, the map pin has become a true symbol of travel and striving to reach a destination. The pin as a symbol is universally understood and guides people around the world to reach their goals.

230px-Blue_eyes.JPG

Image Source: FocalPoint @ Wikimedia

The nazar. It is an amulet that is used broadly throughout Turkey and the Middle East. It is said the nazar protect its owner from the "evil eye" and are seen as a symbol of luck in general. These amulets are a common gift and therefore represent friendship and the world-renowned Turkish hospitality.

Combined together, they form the brand for a games that will invite the world to experience Turkey, where they will be welcomed not as foreigners, but as friends. The year is 2036. And the destination Istanbul.

• Like 2

With less than a week to go, one final @ list:

@paul @JDCLauron @daveypodmore @Rob. @Lord David @thatsnotmypuppy @mr.bernham @woohooitsme83 @VIK @baron-pierreIV @JMarkSnow2012 @nzl @Utkarsh Verma @Athensfan @Citius Altius Fortius @TorchbearerSydney @Sir Rols @AustralianFan @JO2024 @Nacholympic @aismanggo @Anthony @Jon Will Chambers @DannyelBrazil @ScoBit @Palette86 @cfm Jeremie @Fiorenzo @pcutone @Athens 2004 forever @Olympic Fan Darcy @GOwen

@Olympian1010 has submitted a logo for Glasgow but not Istanbul, while @munichfan has done the reverse - everyone can take part in both competitions so it'd be great to see an Istanbul logo from Olympian, and a Glasgow one from Munichfan - as well as anyone else who hasn't got involved at all yet, whether on the list above or not. All welcome :)

The deadline is 1pm Saturday UK time for submissions. The vote for Glasgow (winter is always first) will be starting hopefully that night, although obviously it depends on Rols. As I always do, if anyone is really pushed for time, I'll accept Istanbul logos while the Glasgow vote is open. However of course, we don't know how long that'll be - it'll be up to you the voters - so the best way to be in is to be in time for the deadline. Thank you :) 

cICbjEd.png

Glasgow 2034

This logo is based on several landmarks in Glasgow, but beyond the literal, they suggest important aspects of the city and people of Glasgow.  The shape of the Riverside Museum suggests the many wonderful peaks and slopes in the Grampian Mountain Range that will be host the snow events during the Olympics.  The Cyde Arc, that will welcome many visitors during the Games, is placed behind the museum outline to symbolize the sun rising over the "Dear Green Place" that is Glasgow.  Glasgow 2034, highlighted by their slogan, "Find Your Green", recognizes the importance of their stewardship of the amazing parks and vast land around them.  They have pledged to be the Greenest Games to date, setting the standard for future Games.  They plan to use the athletes as ambassadors in their home countries, and with the help of a legacy funds, plan to support green initiatives to create "Dear Green Places" throughout the world.

• Like 1

sWwDK1n.png

Istanbul 2036

A mosaic is a picture or pattern produced by arranging together small colored pieces of hard material, such as stone, tile, or glass.  This pertains to the 2036 Olympics, as the idea of "Mosaic" is central to the Games plan.  First, It refers to the people.  Turkey is a country of many ethnicities, religions, classes, and even continents.  All have come together, in harmony, to become a vivid land full of diversity, that are ready to enthusiastically host the 2036 Games.  Second, it refers to the logo.  The logo is reminiscent of a design that one might see on a Turkish Mosaic Lamp hanging in the many bazaars throughout Turkey.  They are hand crafted and the skill has been passed down, generation to generation, for hundreds of years.  These lamps, when illuminated, cast a diversity of colors throughout an area, inviting all around.  Third, it refers to the theme.  Istanbul 2036's theme of "Illuminate the World" is in reference to these vivid lamps.  The Turkish people stand ready to welcome the athletes, coaches, officials and visitors to the 2036 Olympic Games, and through this experience, help them illuminate the future.

• Like 1

Here are my entries to the contest!

GLASGOW 2034

- Inspired by the thistle, the floral emblem of Scotland
- Incorporates elements related to nature and winter (snowflakes), and celebration (fireworks)
rewYcGG.png

ISTANBUL 2036

- Resembles the 15 July Martyrs Bridge that spans the Bosphorus strait in the city connecting between Europe and Asia
- Utilizes colors related to natural elements: blue for the Bosphorus strait and Mediterranean Sea; green for the forests; gold for the sun
- Curved elements dividing the vertical bars (into 36) and resembling the contours of tulips

2nvCF2e.png

• Like 1

BANG!

It is 1pm, and in Scotland - well the capital city, Edinburgh - that time is marked not by a bong but a bang, courtesy of the above piece of heavy artillery. This particular explosion marks the deadline of our Glaswegian comp, which is now closed, as promised. To everyone's surprise, especially mine, we have 8 entries, most of which came after the original deadline passed - you never stop surprising me, thank you all :) The vote will begin probably tomorrow, but it obviously depends on when we can get it all ready. I'd expect we'll have a cut round to take the first half out, then exhaustive from 4 - better than potentially 7 rounds. Finally, as usual I am keeping this thread open for Istanbul submissions for as long as the voting is on for Glasgow. So don't stop designing, and see you for the big vote!

***REQUEST FOR ASSISTANCE***

yoshi usually relies on me to do up the grids of entries and then start the polls. I’ve been slowly cutting my tech resources and now don’t have tools needed to do up a grid. Is anybody, any of the entrants, able to do up a grid of all the Glasgow entries, giving them all a label A through to H? If anyone could, please send it to me. Yoshi would be very appreciable, and then we’d be able to get going on voting.

56 minutes ago, Sir Rols said:

yoshi usually relies on me to do up the grids of entries and then start the polls. I’ve been slowly cutting my tech resources and now don’t have tools needed to do up a grid. Is anybody, any of the entrants, able to do up a grid of all the Glasgow entries, giving them all a label A through to H? If anyone could, please send it to me. Yoshi would be very appreciable, and then we’d be able to get going on voting.

I'll give it a go!

1 hour ago, Sir Rols said:

Says you can't receive messages. Sorry for double post.

1 hour ago, Sir Rols said:

Hey mate, why didn't you say anything to me? I could've put a call out earlier...I'm guessing your Mac never came back to life then. I know @paul has helped before but it seems not even the smell of a freshly passed deadline has lured him in this time. So yeah I'd really appreciate it if @Anthony you can help - normally Rols starts the poll up, being premium, with just the grid and one line to post, then I come in as close as possible with the opening post proper. How will you do it, would you PM the grids to Rols or what... Thanks again :)

Anthony posted while I was writing - why can't you get PMs? I've sent some to you about starting the vote and that, I didn't know you couldn't get them...sorry. 

hello folx, can i also submit something.. when does this compeyition ends..

the last time i wrote was in december 2011 close to 2012..

now im back after 9-10 years almost a deccenia..

not specifically for this logo competition.. i returned back actually for one thing..

istanbul 2036.. if not turkey has (we have) a-brisbane-story to tell

i hope that the olympic flag handover will be between brisbane 2032

a brisbane story with a lot of 'proud & sad"-legacy 

the keyword is "the canbas" gymnastics-movement..

im now 43 years old.. missed a lot but still loving olympic logo-competitions

abd last but not least olympic opening/closing ceremonies ;)