15th Annual GamesBids Olympic Logo Competition

I DECLARE CHRISTMAS 2021...OPEN!

Lowestoft's finest there, with one of the all-time great Christmas songs...here goes:

Here we go again, because you can't keep a good idea down - at least not at the start - it's the symbol of December - THE 15TH ANNUAL GAMESBIDS OLYMPIC LOGO COMPETITION! Last year's comp didn't result in its demise, quite the opposite with both rounds being won by debutants - so let's hope that showed that the old thing still has some life in it yet. To help give it the best shot, we're sticking to last year's tried and tested, non-batshit mad format - two cities, one summer, one winter, one winner for each and one month (ish) to make them in. You probably want to know where they are, so here you go. They're good ones...

SUMMER 2036: ISTANBUL, TURKEY

Hagia Sophia

Not Constantinople, and definitely not Byzantium, the city so good they named it three times needs no introduction. But this is one. One of the world's oldest, largest, and greatest cities with thousands of years of history, a symbol of the exotic and exciting (for Western Europe anyway), and a perennial Olympic hopeful, the only surprise is that 14 previous comps have somehow missed it! Let's be honest, even if it's not 2036, the Istanbul Olympics will surely happen eventually, so here's your chance to show how it should look. How will you design the games where Turkish Olympic dreams finally come true?

WINTER 2034: GLASGOW, SCOTLAND, GREAT BRITAIN*

River Clyde

Possibly even more amazing than 14 years of missing Istanbul is 14 years of completely ignoring the UK*. So on this St Andrew's Day, it's time to rectify that as the Winter comp heads to Scotland, the birthplace of curling. Glasgow, much in the news lately, is Scotland's largest city, even if internationally it's been a bit overshadowed by capital Edinburgh, but there's plenty of inspiration here on the Clyde for you in a city of great design history - even if actually hosting a Winter Olympics here might stretch Agenda 2020, it's still not implausible with some imagination, and that's what it's all about. How will you design the games where curling comes home?

*Legal disclaimer - I'm using Scotland, British, Britain, UK etc interchangably based on context simply because that's the situation currently, and as anyone who says they know what'll happen by 2034 is either a) fibbing, or b) Doctor Who, it's easiest. This is not an endorsement of either side on Scottish independence. So there. 

THE RULES AND THINGS

We are, as ever, after logos that encompass the overall feel of the city and local influences that can be tied into a design concept. How can any of these cities articulate graphically what they could bring to future Olympics hosting? What flavour will they bring to the games? Will it inspire the Turks to pull their fingers out and stop Putin's 2036 coronation? (Although Erdogan still...eh).

The logos should be presented as full colour designs on white background. If you like, however, they can also be presented in black and white or utilised in forms like street banners, t-shirts, apps, vehicles, pins etc. For voting purposes, the main (colour) logo will be used on the polls, & extra stuff is not obligatory, but any extra material you produce may help you “sell” your design better to the wider GamesBids voting membership. 

These logos are for the cities as they HOST the games. So you CAN use the rings, and don't need to include the words “Candidate City, Olympic Games 2036” or whatever the IOC want this week.

Please post your preliminary submissions on this thread. If you want to hold anything back to be presented as a “surprise” when voting starts you can contact me or Rols via PM and I'll tell you where you can send the extra material. However, it would be nice to see as many on-thread submissions as possible for people to chew over in-thread, & to try & get the old buzz back. We can hope, right?

You can submit logos for either or both cities. However, you cannot enter more than one logo for the same city (see below). So entering one logo for each is fine, but two logos for Glasgow, say, is not fine. You are able, encouraged even, to enter both 'sides' of the comp.

Feel free to post as many logo designs as you like, & to ask for feedback from our famously discerning electorate. If you really can't decide between your own designs for a city, feel free to start a poll (or to ask for one to be started). When the time comes for voting, however, you will be asked to settle on a maximum of ONLY ONE official logo per city as your official entry. 

The format depends on the numbers. Most likely, it will be the traditional exhausting exhaustive ballot preferred by the IOC, but if numbers fit & opinion ok, we may have the World Cup-style tournament system. Whatever happens, the winter & summer 'halves' will be entirely separate, there will be two winners in the Olympic comp tradition. 

The competition is open to all members of GamesBids, or to any new legitimate members who join before the end of the submission period. I, with consultation, will rule on the legitimacy of new members.

As you would expect, I will rule on any disputes - always aiming to be as fair as possible in the process. As always, just remember, this is all meant to be fun. Olympic spirit, remember?. 

Hopefully this will spark up some action on the board. I'll be dipping in, keeping a close eye on things, but otherwise will try and keep my green yoshi-paws off until the polling stages.

The deadline for submissions is 1pm London time (that is, midnight in Sydney, as per tradition) on NEW YEAR'S EVE, 31 DECEMBER 2021. Thus, GB will begin the Olympic year (yup, another one) 2022 with the voting. Just one extra thing, there is something of a tradition of that being extended, but I don't know yet exactly how the numbers will add up - I want to schedule the comp so its last act, a final in the summer comp, if it goes fully through the rounds, would be on February 3, the eve of this year's first human rights-loving sporting spectacles /sarcasm.

And this is just to alert @Rob. Rob to the existence of the new comp in the hope that he'll do his traditional bit of putting up links to various free design programs etc for the benefit of those who want to take part but may not have the facility at the moment, and to alert @GBModerator Rob to the fact the comp is back!

All that is left to say is thank you Rols once again, and to all participants for having the guts to put your logos up for the annual GamesBids dissection, & may the best logos win - GOOD LUCK! :)

• Like 2

The other great tradition of comp opening day is the mass @ - here we go:

@paul @JDCLauron @Glacib @daveypodmore @Scotguy @Lord David @Rob. @thatsnotmypuppy @mr.bernham @woohooitsme83 @VIK @baron-pierreIV @JMarkSnow2012 @nzl @Utkarsh Verma @Athensfan @Citius Altius Fortius @Olympian1010  @TorchbearerSydney @Sir Rols @AustralianFan @JO2024 @Nacholympic  @aismanggo  @Anthony @Jon Will Chambers  @Victorian  @DannyelBrazil @ScoBit @Palette86 @cfm Jeremie @Fiorenzo @pcutone @Olympic Fan Darcy @Athens 2004 forever

It's everyone in my previous mass @, plus everyone who posted or voted in last year's comps, even those who voted in August (!). Plus Danny as he expressed interest when he came back after Tokyo :) 

• Like 2

At the moment, you're winning by default - next step is to have some competition ;). Let's have loads more logos now, everyone :)

On 11/30/2021 at 12:43 PM, yoshi said:

Quoting the mass @ since our only entry so far comes from just about the only member I didn't mention here!

@paul @JDCLauron @Glacib @daveypodmore @Scotguy @Lord David @Rob. @thatsnotmypuppy @mr.bernham @woohooitsme83 @VIK @baron-pierreIV @JMarkSnow2012 @nzl @Utkarsh Verma @Athensfan @Citius Altius Fortius @Olympian1010  @TorchbearerSydney @Sir Rols @AustralianFan @JO2024 @Nacholympic  @aismanggo  @Anthony @Jon Will Chambers  @Victorian  @DannyelBrazil @ScoBit @Palette86 @cfm Jeremie @Fiorenzo @pcutone @Olympic Fan Darcy @Athens 2004 forever

It's everyone in my previous mass @, plus everyone who posted or voted in last year's comps, even those who voted in August (!). Plus Danny as he expressed interest when he came back after Tokyo :) 

• Like 1

On 12/1/2021 at 9:50 AM, yoshi said:

Try to get it into the recents for overnight readers...I wish there was another way to promote this. Hopefully it's not 2 weeks before the first reply this year :P

You particpate in the comp and submit your works.Is this out of rule?

As I've always said - those who can, do & those who can't, organise :lol:. Even if Rols disproved that when he won with Cairo a couple of years ago. More seriously, it's tradition - Pups never took part, neither did Rols when he ran it. I try to be as hands off as possible except for trying to get people in :)

• Like 1

51749708103_369c4012f8_b.jpg

Figured it out! Haha! Can't decide between the two. Leaning towards the left one.

Both are based on tulips, the national flower of Turkey. The one on the left pays homage to the Olympic flame using shades of red found in the Turkish flag. The two forms also represent the two continents (Europe and Asia) that run through Turkey.

The logo on the right is more overt in its tulip form. The red and orange petals symbolize the two continents as well. The blue petal represents the water that splits the two landmasses. The dome shape on the blue petal is a slight homage to the Hagia Sofia. The silver crescent shape symbolizes the crescent moon in the Turkish flag. It also is smile for the joy that the Games bring to the world.

Edited by Anthony
  • Like 3

On 12/14/2021 at 11:47 PM, yoshi said:

Bumping this back to the recent threads with Christmas nearing...I know most entries tend to come after the deadline but it'd still be nice to see more sooner :)

Hi @GOwen - and merry Christmas to everyone here :). Hopefully this period will see some entries from the members I've @ed as so far we've got only 3 who've submitted entries and one who's posted in the thread - of which only one comes from the @ list! Am I putting you all off or what?

Nearly NYE, and although our deadline is famously malleable, I'm still going to bump this up in the hope that it'll a bit less resemble an Olympic bid race by the time old Tommy wants to call time. I'll get my instructions from him tomorrow morning. 

On 12/14/2021 at 11:47 PM, yoshi said:

And yup, I'm @ing everyone again :)